Community Forum

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

Folks that was not unknown.   They have told us they were doing this.   Now with that said has anyone thought this may be a TCM caused issue vs Comcast?  TCM asks for $$$$$ for each subscriber.   Now I have no details but I presume TCM was asking for an increase in fees they want from Comcast for each and every subscriber.  Perhaps Comcast decided TCM wanted too much and rather than eat the increased costs themselves they chose to move TCM to a special package where you PAY for the priviledge to get it.

Remember the recent fiasco with CBS being withdrawn from people's satellite feeds?   Same thing here....maybe!

Like many this is a huge loss for me.   But I sent a message to TCM and told them there was no way I was paying more to watch it.   In the end I hope TCM sees the loss of income and comes to their senses.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Turner Classic Movies cruise

I never looked into the cruise cost... it's that much? Well one less thing for me...blindsided by TCM disappearing in the middle of October...on my mom's birthday no less ..my brother discovered TCM in the hospital ..never had anything but basic cable...he upgraded for TCM alone he enjoyed it so much... Disappointed...
Highlighted
New Poster

RIght you are! I just tried to schedule a call-back with a customer rep, and their system must be overloaded because it's crashed! Gee, I wonder why?

Highlighted
New Poster

Did not know TCM was a sport
Highlighted
Contributor

Unbelievable...  I tried to "Submit Feedback"  and it doesn't work.  All I get is "Thank you for your participation in this study, however it is currently unavailable"    I swear these people don't think we have other options.  I've just about had it with them!  

Highlighted
New Poster

I am not a sports person, so I don't watch sports but I do watch TCM alot. You are taking away

my pleasure as I am 77 years old. It's too bad I can't cancel because I just signed up with you this year.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Comcast's answer the the TMC "WHY" question

Im urging Comcast to reconsider this move of TCM to a sports channel at extra charge. First; A sports channel for classic movies? Get real.

Second; If you really want to sell your argument for change, transparency is the operative word. Show us paying customers what the readership is for all your channels. My guess is that most of us are paying for channels in our current line-up that are dogs that less customers watch than TCM.

Unfortunately, this sounds like a scam to me. Im not yet ready to believe your reasoning that TCM is a low volume watched program. My guess is quite the contrary. I suggest you pay particular attention to the level of negative response this move has generated and re-instate TCM to its former line up.

Thank you for your consideration. And, all of us TCM customers deserve a response.

New Poster

Re: Program Change TCM

I am yet another customer who is considering dropping Xfinity since Turner Classic Movies was removed from subscription...and without any notice!!!  If you are going to do this, how much less will I be charged on my bill?  I am becoming very distrustful of this organization!

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: THOUSANDS WANT TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL LEFT ALONE AND NOT SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

Comcast, do you really think you will get people to pay extra for a ridiculous Sports package just so we can get one channel, TCM?  This makes no business sense.  You are only driving customers away.  How is moving this channel to a sports package going to keep prices from increasing on other packages? How much extra does it cost Comcast to keep this channel in the existing packages?  You are in violation of your agreements with customers.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: ALERT: Comcast Taking Away Channels Again

This would be the perfect opportunity for some upstart company to offer channels ala carte. If you want sports, you can get all the sports, if you want nothing but TCM & PBS you can have that instead. If you only want TCM & just local channels, you could do that too.

Sling comes close but not quite. There isn't one service that perfect, but someone could do it & I'd imagine every single person here that's complaining would buy into it.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

TCM not working. Getting an upgrade message. Must I pay more for an already overpriced service?

I get a subscription message when trying to watch TCM. I am very dissatisfied with the current price I pay and now you want more $$. 

Internet TV or Satalite TV are starting to look like my only option.

I'm NOT happy.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

<Edited>

I am seriously thinking about "cutting the cable"

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Comcast wants me to buy programming I don't want just to get TCM? Fine! First you take away MGM. Then half of Starz/Encore . Now it's TCM being taken out. My payments don't reduce with the loss of this programming <Edited>. Well you've reached my last straw point. I'm going to shop for programming I want elsewhere. <Edited>. Well I don't need 3/4ths of what I'm paying for so getting rid of you <Edited> and going the streaming route or sat. dish from other providers should save me money. You've just pushed this +35 year continual cable subscriber too far.  <Edited>

John <Edited>

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TCM not working. Getting an upgrade message. Must I pay more for an already overpriced service?

TCM was just removed completely from my area. It’s not even available for more money at a higher tier. I started a post about it but somebody removed my post! Not happy either!!!

Highlighted
New Poster

I am already an extra cost sports package subscriber and I still lost TCM.  I am guessing that they have a higher cost sports package that they are trying to sell.  With the cost of this cable as high as it is, moves like this will ensure that I will be making the cut from cable in the near future.  The logic to include TCM in a sports package boggels the mind.  

Put it back Comcast, there are many many of your viewers that watch this channel and like it.

Highlighted
New Poster

I am absolutely furious that I have lost Turner Classic Movies. Why is Comcast so greedy? I can't afford another rate increase. I'm going to start looking for another provider. I am fed up with Comcast cable.
Highlighted
New Poster

Such a bad idea. And when you inquire about what sports channels you will receive it turns out all but one already come with my HD premium package. And the one new one,NFLREDZONE, is only on Sunday during games and is dark the rest of the week. So basically they want us to buy the sports channels twice to receive TCM.

Highlighted
New Poster

Baloney!
Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

I just found out TCM is now part of an extra tier for more money per month. My wife has been wanting to cut the cord with Comcast but kept it fo me because I watched TCM movies. When my contact is up goodbye COMCAST! What were you thinking? I never watch sports and most people who watch sports watch sports not old movi es. Looking forward to canceling Comcast!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Because Comcast is a crooked, scummy organization that is overdue for breakup by the government.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TCM Removed from Previous Channel Line-Ups

I think most of the viewers of TCM are not that intrested in having a Sports Entertainmeny Channel as a "replacement" for TCM's current location. I forone don't care about a Sports channel!! I rarely watch sports - I do watch movies frequentlt !!

Highlighted
Contributor

Same here.  Just signed up for 2 year commitment.  $200/month.  I'm out after this.  Too many other options available; YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Program Change TCM

I'm going back to PS-VUE.  Not necessarily a bargain but they are not as unethical as Comcast.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: TCM

Do something useful and put TCM back where it belongs.

Highlighted
New Poster

I watch TCM at least once a day. I'm really annoyed by the change and will look into other services. This change is not servicing Comcast customers who do not want sports package. What a dissapointmeng!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: TCM

@wgschaub wrote:

Do something useful and put TCM back where it belongs.

NFL Red Zone must have been a poor decision and they are trying to cut their losses at your expense.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TCM Being Placed in Extra Cost Tier

They did it, it doesn’t make it right
Highlighted
New Poster

TCM is one of the few things we regularly watch.  We will look to leave Comcast as they dont to much right except raise prices.  Frankly, if Verizon FOIS was avaialbe here I would be gone already.  Hopefully 5G will foster some competition.    Comcast is bad - I would use stronger words but they wont post.

Highlighted
New Poster

I hope xfinity will reconsider this decision

Most people who enjoy TCM are not interested in a sports package. If you must move it then include it in a more logical grouping. This one is just plain stupid.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: THOUSANDS WANT TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL LEFT ALONE AND NOT SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

I think it is crazy to put in with Sports! We pay way to much as it is
Highlighted
New Poster

Channel Fail

We have had TCMHD since we've switched to xfinity. Now they have put that channel in their Sports Package. Same crowd, TCM and Sports ? REALLY ?
Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast - bad decision moving TCM to sports channel.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TCM Being Placed in Extra Cost Tier

I am amazed by this TCM move and, if it is not reversed, I will find a new provider for all services.  I will start my search in one week unless this change is reversed by that time.

Michael Raschko

Highlighted
New Poster

Channel Fail

Putting TCM In the Sports Package ? Did someone get fired for that executive decision ?
Highlighted
New Poster

you've just given many of us one more reason to cut the cord. Sling here I come.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Moving TCM off Extended Basic

@wjl1 wrote:

I was just beginning to think that Comcast had gotten the message: treating customers like dirt is bad business.

I was wrong.

Comcast, pulling TCM off Extended Basic was a bad idea, and your "explanations" don't make sense.  If no one watches it, why are there HUNDREDS of forum posts on the issue just over the last few days?

It sure looks like just another money grab.

Bill

YES - and for every one comment seen here, there are probably 100 more that did not publish their comment.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

what do classic movies have to do with a sports package. this is highway robbery.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Already done that...twice and still no response.

Highlighted
New Poster

I read your statement, and what I got out of it is your sports package is not doing well so you tried to bundle thinking I and others would pay and a unreasonable amount for one channel. Rethink or you will lose more customers.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Moving TCM off Extended Basic

Heh, heh. This is just what I needed, another outrage. I had a deal with my family that after Comcast lowered the native source resolution to 720p, if they did one more thing like this we would cancel service. Guess what? I win. Were canceling service. HAHAHAHAHA!

Highlighted
New Poster

Moving TCM to a Sports Package - Congratulations Comcast....

By forcing someone to subscribe to a Sports Package (for an additional $9.95 per month) in order to watch Classic Movies, you (Comcast) have just proved how little you understand your subscribers and how much you value money over that of Customer service, loyalty & satisfaction.

So congratulations are due - you have just set me, a triple-play subscriber on the path to 'cutting the cable'!

Highlighted
New Poster

Turner classic channel moved

Obviously Comcast doesn’t care how many customers they are going to lose as exhibited by this forum. I’m out of here as soon as I can. The commissioned board of utilities will be getting a filed complaint from me. Somehow I think this is illegal.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Yeah, I don't buy that TCM has 'low viewership.' It makes up about 30% of our viewing time. And I saw many posts on this thread from TCM viewers. I'm sure Comcast is nursing a bunch of 'dogs' in terms of stations viewed by very few people. 

Please allow me to echo the suggestion that you take all these 'dogs' and offer them in the sports package, and put TCM back where it was. For a company that made $11.3 billion net profits in 2018 and whose CEO made $35 million last year, seems like you could stop gouging your customers. Maybe manage costs a slightly different way. 

Highlighted
New Poster

By their own admission, then, 10 % of viewers watch more than two movies per month. That’s not a little, that’s a lot.
Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast, so much has been stated about Turner Classic Movies being moved to the Sport Package in October.  I don't understand your justification, as TCM is clearly a movie channel.  I have had Comcast for over 30 years and seen a lot of good channels lost over the years.  I pay $280 a month for my triple play and if anything I will look at ways to reduce my costs, not increase them by adding another package (sports or wherever TCM ends up going to).  

I think the TCM move maybe the straw that breaks the camel's back.  AlI summer long I have been targetted by the Comcast's competition offering me cheaper prices for faster internet 200MB/200MB vs my 105MB/20MB and as many or more TV channels & phone service.  Problem is, I am a loyal Comcast customer, the kind they count on being able to raise their prices on every year after year (by $10/yr).

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I just bought a RoKu device.  I am cutting all Comcast services.  I subscribed to Sling and got all the channels I wanted DVR and turner classic movies for 68.39 + tax.

just cut the cord now and save yourself the hassle of working with this corrupt company.

Highlighted
New Poster

To answer a couple of questions: someone mentioned about paying the extra $2/ mo. Not so, the sports package is $10/mo. As far as someone being told that they couldn’t get internet unless they had service is true. I have the smallest package, about $12.50/mo. to be able to use the internet. One other thing. As we all know Disney owns about 67% of Comcast. About 20 years ago Disney bought a popular radio station in NYC, moved it to LI and after several months changed the programming from Pop music to the kids music on the Disney station. When I called I was told the people 50 and older don’t spend the money like the kids do. TCM’s viewers fall mostly into the same age group. Evidently, Disney is anti senior. For tv I use Direct TV who at the very least will make adjustments and concessions.
Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

Why in the world would Comcast make TCM a subscription along with sports. I don't want the sports subscription. This could be a deal-breaker after being a customer since 1995. We watch TCM, discovery, Travel, History Channel, MSNBC, CNN, a few others and the regular stations that we can get without cable, hardly ever sports. We already pay more than we would like and certainly will not add $10 more.

Disappointed Customer

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TCM Removed from Previous Channel Line-Ups

Just discovered this ripoff regarding Turner Classic Movies.  This is the second movie channel that Comcast has dropped from my subscription.  Earlier this year they dropped MGM. I am on the downside of a 2 year commitment on a 4 part bundle that I pay way too much for. I will be researching options and replace all services I receive from Comcast.

Highlighted
New Poster

This is a completely ridiculous lineup change unless your Comcast who is wanting to goose revenue. We already have a subscription with a robust package of channels we don’t watch; pay way north of $200 per month; and watch TCM regularly. Perhaps it is time to ditch Comcast and I will start investigating alternatives.