Community Forum

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

Highlighted
Contributor

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.  <Edited>  Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

TCM Being Placed in Extra Cost Tier

I received my bill today and there was a notice that TCM was being taken out of all of the various packages and was being placed in the EXTRA COST Sports and Entertainment.

Do they mean TCM as Turner Classic Movies Channel? I can't find any other TCM that could be a sports channel or another channel with same call letter.  

Does anyone have any information on this Subject?  Thank you for your time and assistance.  Have a nice day.

Dr. John <Edited>

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: TCM Being Placed in Extra Cost Tier

Yes TCM=Turner Classic Movies. There’s no other information other than it moving to the Sports AND Entertainment tier on the date posted on your statement. If you want the channel you’ll need to add the tier if you don’t have it already

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

This doesn't matter to me since I subscribe to the tier, but I think you seriously need to reconsider this move Comcast.  With cord cutting becoming more and more common, this is not the thing to do.  This will not help curb it.  If anything it'll only help accelerate it.  Just my 2 cents.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

GREAT response! They remove Cinmax from movie tier and place separately  and charge you ANOTHER $12 if you want it. Replaced with Hitz and make a big deal out of how Hitz carries so many of the movies that are those you want. When in reality it is nothing more than movies that are aready  available  On Demand for free in a large percentage of those free movies offered  I liked some of the original programming that Cinemax had. True, there were many of the movies on Cinamax that were on HBO. But, so are so many of the other movies such as Showtime/Epix, which is an extra $6 if you want it/Starz/The Movie Channel/etc. have.

TCM has movies that came from the beginning of "motion pictures,"  many that are even before "talkies" were born, that are a refreshing change from many of offerings on the previous cited movie channels. Comcast quielty dropped MGM movie channel earlier in the year saying that it was due to the increase in fees being demanded by the owner of the channel. And it goes on and on.  It seems it is always the "other guy's fault" when cost increases are made and we pick up the tab. Each of the movie channels above have additional "sub offerings" beside the main channel that are NOT carried by Comcast and are offered by many other Cable Companies and their subscribers pay the same for these additional "sub offerings." HD is an important factor that a channel needs to offer to remain competitive. Once again Comcast lags far behind in its' HD offerings compared to so many other Cable Companies. Bandwidth is often cited for this lagging. But what do the other Cable Companies have that is so far more advanced than Comcast that they can offered so much more HD. Comcast is constantly advertising how advance it system(s) are and it would seem they could give their cable customers a little more of that technology for channels in HD. I won't even bring up the next great advance in broadcasting. 4K picture quality.

It seems that Comcast is slowly but surely changing their offerings so they can charge you more and more for things that you may like. Big business must please its' stockholders and at the expenses of subscribers.  Comcast has become so big with its' recent mergers that it seems to care less and less of those that pay anywhere from $50 to more than $200 a month to be able to get the choice of channels they may like. The ACC channel is coming on later in the month. I wonder how much Comcast will charge for it to those that like the sports from the Conference? If they even offer the channel. 

Of course, any business has the RIGHT to a make profit.  Take a look at Comast's most recent Annual Report and their 10K and 10Q at some of the monies made and distributed to Company officers and profit ratios Comcast is making and it really gives you pause for thought about the charges subscribers are required to pay.

One thing I HAVE found with Comcast is the great people that make all of the day to day effort to make "Comcast tick." In my dealings with customer support in many of its' different departments I have found these great people to go out of the way to help me in more than 98% of the time.  Hopefully  this has been the case with other customers of Comcast.

I do apology for this "long winded"  commentary. Needed to get my feelings aired to moves Comcast is making with its' program offerings.

My appreciation to those of you that read through this message. Have a nice day.

Dr. John F. Gibson

Highlighted
New Poster

Turner Classic Movies

Not only does my line up include multiple channels with the same program, at the same time, numerous foreign language channels, useless to us, now Comcast is taking TCM and putting it in with programming never watched in our house, SPORTS?

$197.83 plus all the additional nonsense charges, (i.e. "regional sports fee"?) is pretty hefty for the types of things provided in this line up.

Is Comcast trying to drive customers away?

Regular Visitor

Re: Turner Classic Movies

It seems to me that Comcast is just going to charge us more to make up for their loss from cord cutting customers. Not Nice but that's business, and they have never been interested in pleasing their customers, and on a side note most service representatives don't seem to know what they're talking about

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@FLE369ing wrote:

I received my bill today and there was a notice that TCM was being taken out of all of the various packages and was being placed in the EXTRA COST Sports and Entertainment.

. . . snipped . . .

Dr. John F. Gibson

Is this national or just localized to certain areas? Because I haven't seen nor heard anything about this in our area (Baltimore, MD). If they do it here I guess it will be time to finally dump their modem and get my own.

Highlighted
Contributor

This is like weatherscan, all over again. they just do these things, with no explanation, and I guess we just have to take it. From comcast's perspective, they must have a reason, even it's as petty/silly/strange as,  say, because TCM is owned by Warner, which is owned by at&t , a competitor? They can't really believe people are going to shell another $10/month for tcm?

Hey comcast, why don't you put the sports/entertainment package on sale for half off?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@dapper921 wrote:

This is like weatherscan, all over again. they just do these things, with no explanation, and I guess we just have to take it. From comcast's perspective, they must have a reason, even it's as petty/silly/strange as,  say, because TCM is owned by Warner, which is owned by at&t , a competitor? They can't really believe people are going to shell another $10/month for tcm?

Hey comcast, why don't you put the sports/entertainment package on sale for half off?

It's all about the money, so they can buy up and pay for more content and distribution companies. It's our increasing monthly payments that are paying for all of these acquisitions so they can turn around and increase our monthly rates even more.

Highlighted
Contributor

I think what irritates me the most is most of the people who watch TCM are (middle-age and older??)  people, like my mom, who has faught year after year to keep her costs down, while getting less and less each year. here, the channel she watches most is moved to a 'tier' that has nothing to do with movies.

Perhaps, some day, comcast will be given its' rightful place  right in the top-tier of the almighty profit-first, customer-second list of slum-lords of the tech industry.

Highlighted
New Poster

I've been seriously thinking about switching from Directv to Comcast since my DTV Loyalty discount ran out and they seem unwilling to renew it.  But this news makes the move completely out of the question.  TCM is one of the few channels we do watch often, and to lump it into an expensive Sports package that we wouldn't use makes zero sense.  I'd be willing to pay a $5/mo extra fee just for TCM and possibly a few other HD movie channels in a package, but not any higher price stuck into a sports package.   It's a ridiculous move by Comcast.

So for now I guess it's a case of better to stay with the devil you know.  Maybe I'll check more into DishTV.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

Hello, mbg71. Thank you for reaching out. 

Every month, Comcast pays programmers like networks, local TV station owners and others, for the ability to bring their programming to you. We regularly review our programming and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering a wide variety of programming at the best value. We look at a variety of factors, including customer viewership and programming costs when making these decisions. Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this and contractual limitations on offering TCM a la carte, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it.

We sincerely appreciate all the feedback we have received in regards to this change. This thread has now been locked from receiving new replies.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

In Waterford ,MI. It was Weatherscan, then Spike, (and probably a few others). Now, it's TCM! I got completely NO WHERE when speaking with customer service, Comcast HQ in NY and HQ in CA! Removing TCM from my tier is last straw with Comcast. Perhaps they should remove ALL of the shopping channels from my tier. Also, all of the Sports channel that mean absolutely NOTHING to me! I'm a loyal, pay my bill on time, every time "Sure thing" of a customer. New customers get the appreciation. I'm feeling pretty neglected by Comcast because of the simple fact that I'm a "PROVEN" loyal customer who's stuck with Comcast through all of the dropped channels, price raises, and bad customer service. I'm going to have to speak with CS , and soon. UGH! Hoping I get someone that I CAN CONVEY to as why I'm calling. As well as someone that has English as their first language. It's already an arduous ordeal having to call CS. But, when they can't understand me and vice versa, God help us both... May the Force Be With Me!! Fingers crossed, Andrea
Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you for your response.  I am afraid I do not believe your response entirely.  TCM is widely viewed in my area by many friends and relatives.  There are many, many other channels that Comcast offers other than Turner Classic Movies which you could switch to the oblivion of your Sports Package.  Quite frankly, some of the channels you offer mot people NEVER watch.  I am one of thousands of Comcast customers who wish you would change your mind and leave TCM available as it is.  PLEASE reconsider!  I have been a Comcast client for many years and this situation is causing me to re-evaluate my subscription.  PLEASE leave TCM alone.

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

Is it true that in October, TCM  will go to the Sports Entertainment Package? Did you really drop Cinamax and gave us Hitz? I dont want HITZ, I want a reduction in my bill for the loss of Cinamax. I also want to manage my account on line and be able to drop some of these useless channels like HITZ. I have tried talking on the phone to someone about this, the young lady was clueless about what she was trying to sell.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Program Change TCM

Why in the world would you move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package???? 

Highlighted
New Poster

It's upsetting to learn that Comcast is dropping Turner Classic Movies from Digital Starter to a Sports Package.

Please explain why you are doing this?

Moving TCM out of Digital Starter significantly impacts seniors, who value the classic movies for nostalgia as well art.

We cannot afford to pay for more Sports Channels---we're already have more Sports selections than we could ever watch in a lifetime!

Please restore TCM to the Digital Starter Package!

If you cut the cord on us, we will cut the cord with Comcast and move to Hulu, Roku and Netflix, as so many around us have already done.

/a concerned Comcast customer

Highlighted
New Poster

They just laid my FIOS line for Phone service only, moving TCM to an additional cost package is not going to happen for me.  I already pay enough!!!   I watch TCM daily and will switch to FIOS in October if it is dropped from digital preferred.   Fair warning COMCAST.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Program Change TCM

What are they thinking? Whose brilliant idea was this? Fans of Bette Davis, Greta Carbo and all the great actresses Don'tcare about hitting balls in a field.  What can we do about this absurd decision.?

Highlighted
New Poster

Turner Classic Movies

The culture is saturated with enough Sports. Why put the glorious TCM in a package where the movie fans can't see it.  Why do we have to pay to get a bunch of sports channels we never watch?

Please reconsider this move Comcast. Don't deprive us of the extraordinary talent on display every day on TCM.

Highlighted
New Poster

I am extremely disappointed that Comcast is moving TCM to a Sports Package!

I have been a loyal Comcast customer for over 30 years. How many companies would love to have that loyalty? I have stayed with Comcast through many rate increases, including the most recent one, as well as through the elimination or removal of channels to another more expensive tier. I'm not sure how Comcast will increase profitability by disappointing existing customers. It's almost as if we are being begged to "cut the cord". If I wanted a Sports Package, I would already have one. It is most disappointing to have to pay an additional monthly fee for TCM programming. I can only hope that Comcast reconsiders this decision. Doubtful but hopeful.

Reluctantly, I will be exploring the other options for televison service.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

just another way Comcast came up with to rip off the consumer, I for one watch TCM everyday as many of my colleagues and friends, to group it with a bunch of useless sports channels and  few actual entertainment channels and name it Sports and Entertainment package is a joke, at least they could group it with some real channels, I have a contract with Comcast and they’re breaking it 

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: TCM

Hi Joi1, thank you for reaching out here on our community forums.  I understand your concern with TCM and HITZ, and you are correct and effective October 10th TCM will move to our Sports Entertainment package.   I can help review your account and remove HITZ accordinly, please send me a private message with your full name to begin.

Thank you 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: TCM BEING SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER

Thousands of Comcast subscribers are questioning the reasoning behind transferring TCM to another redundant sports package--where they will lose a vibrant, much watched, historical movie channel.  Comcast has done many questinable things in the past--including price increases out of the blue, channel switching to raise money from targeted watchers of certain programing, etc.  Switching TCM to a sports package is absurd.   Who is their right mind would take an additonal cost sports channel just to watch TCM and pay even more money? There are so many unwatched channels on Comcast already that we pay for that moving a watched channel like TCM makes no sense whatsoever.  Why does Comcast insist on such out of the blue changes that upset so many clients?  Is there a public relations department at Comcast?  Surely there is someone at Comcast who can reverse this decision.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: TCM BEING SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER

Hi there, mbg71. We do understand where you're coming from and we will absolutely pass your feedback along. Thank you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

No ACCNetwork on the sports package and TCM(movie channel) to sports package.

There is no cure for stupid.  Looks like a hidden rate increase.

Time to cut the cable.

Highlighted
Contributor

MAX and TCM

We're very unhappy with Xfinity.   First, we we had Max in our package, and now that's replaced with Hitz.  We don't want Hitz.  Now, you're moving TCM to Sports Package.  We don't want to subscribe to Sports Package.  So, now we've lost two channels.  We didn't watch either one a lot, but we did enjoy some shows on Max, or an occasional movie.  We enjoyed TCM especially around the Holidays.  This makes no sense.

Highlighted
Contributor

I'm not buying this explanation. We live in Minneapolis, and we had TCM for years. Then Comcast moved TCM to the sports and entertanment package several years ago. We did not pay the extra fee to watch it.

This fall, our bill said that TCM was returning to our package--but did not say that it was only temporary. So we've had TCM for a couple of months, and now it's going back to the sports and entertainment package--feels like a bait and switch to me. Comcast gives and Comcast takes away. I'm used to it.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Sorry, but this perception that TCM is under-used is ridiculous. Our household views TCM regularly and often, infinitely more than the “2 movies per month” quoted by the Comcast representative. This action leaves me feeling that, in order to continue with TCM we must subsidize a bunch of Pro Sports (read big $$$) channels that we have zero interest in watching. Makes me conjecture that Comcast would prefer that customers stop watching TCM altogether. lame.

Highlighted
New Poster

Most viewers watch only 2 movies a month?

I find that very difficult to believe.

Believe it or not, sports are never watched at our house. The Bimbo and Bozo shows

are too numerous and are poor representations of normal human beings.

On the other hand, there is an endless selection of paid advertisements from which to choose.

If the advertiser is already paying for them, why am I?

With so many alternative systems on the market now, why would you make such a change?

Even TCM won't make a sports package more enticing.

Bad move on your part.

Highlighted
Contributor

I have been a Comcast customer for over 15 years and have put up with all the programming changes, good and bad. In your reply to the reason why TCM is being moved you cite a survey for one of the reasons it is being moved, a low percentage of viewers watching the channel. In all the years I have been a Comcast customer I have never been asked my opinion concerning an upcoming change in programming, and would suggest that if you were really concerned about your customer base you would ask their opinion prior to making any significant changes to your programming. This way you could really find out what your customers want and don't want before you make changes. My wife and I watch TCM regularly and feel that we will be losing a channel that we enjoy without any input from us. Also, if we are to lose a channel that was previously included in our package why don't we get a discount to our bill. Also wanted to thank you for not airing the ACC channel and having to miss the first 3 game of FSU football. More and more I find that Comcast is not paying attention to what their customers really want.  First I lost BeIN Sports, then Cinemax, no ACC channel, now TCM. Wish I could think of a channel that was added to my programming that I didn't expect and was pleasantly surprised but nothing comes to mind, so it seems we just keep losing channels without any change to our bills.

Highlighted
Contributor

I hope Comcast is paying attention to the comments from many, many subscribers protesting the rediculous decision to move Turner Classic Movies to the SPORTS CHANNEL?  For once in your life, please do the smart thing and rescind your decision to move TCM to the SPORTS CHANNEL.  It is so absurd that it is sad that Comcast management would make such a decision in the first place.  Pay attention to your clients and their wishes Comcast.  We are fed up with many things about Comcast and it is time that you paid attention to your clients and not the almighty increases in your rates.  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I feel the exact same way!  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Comcast is loosing customers daily due to there ever increasing charges for programing nobody wants, they know they are running a loosing race with Hula, Netflix and others so my guess they are milking it for all they can get out of their current customers before they drop them too

Highlighted
Contributor

You are right on about Comcast--unfortunately.  I hope someone there wakes up before it is too late.  Changing TCM to the Sports Package has to be one of most illogical things I have ever seen Comcast do in many years of being a subscriber.  Please change your mind Comcast.  Leave TCM the way it is.  You are going to lose a lot of customers who are already unhappy with your services.  Putting TCM into oblivion on the Sports Package will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.  PLEASE LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Comcast rep Tina lied to me yesterday when upgrading from a SD Triple Play plan to HD TP plan. I was told I needed to get the Sports package to get TCM in SD or HD.  Well, no. Got the screen msg saying I wasn't sub'ed to it so I called Comcast. I was then told that TCM is NOT included in the Sports package and I would need to go to the more $ TP tier to get it.  The other lady I spoke with last night, Anne from down in Manila, was supposed to call me about this whole debacle at 17:00 today. It's 17:32 and still no phone call. I literally just started backing up everything and will be dropping Comcast. I really do not need phone and internet and I can go cheaper with another service. They are losing customers and they wonder why.

Highlighted
Contributor

Surely someone at Comcast will wake up before it is too late.  Is anyone at Comcast paying attention to all of these comments.  Leave TCM where it is--please!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I don’t think Comcast is paying any more attention to this thread. They’ve listed the original question as “answered”. Also, if you google “Comcast TCM” you’ll find the link to this thread, and they have categorized it as “Solved”.

Highlighted
Contributor

THOUSANDS WANT TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL LEFT ALONE AND NOT SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

Thousands of Comcast subscribers don't want Turner Classic Movies switched to a Sports Package in October.  Does Comcast care at all about its customers?  Comcast is going to lose many clients over this.  Who wants to pay for a Sports Package which includes TCM?  And pay extra?  It just doesn't make sense.  PEASE rescind this decision.  In what world does TCM belong on a sports package?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Turner Classic Movies (TCM): Is it being moved to another package and why?

Is Turner Classic Movies (TCM) being moved to another package and why? If so, when?

Will it cost customers more money to view TCM if they have a package that will be losing TCM?

I am being told conflicting answers from Comcast reps over the past few days. Thank you.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Turner Classic Movies (TCM): Is it being moved to another package and why?

Of course it will cost more , $9.95 more for the Sports and Entertainment package just to get TCM, what a rip off putting a classic movie channel in with a bunch of sports channel, I don't watch sports and I'm not paying for a bunch of useless channels to get TCM, Hula and Netflix is sounding better all the time

Highlighted
Expert

@crowhaven wrote:

Of course it will cost more , $9.95 more for the Sports and Entertainment package just to get TCM, what a rip off putting a classic movie channel in with a bunch of sports channel, I don't watch sports and I'm not paying for a bunch of useless channels to get TCM, Hulu and Netflix is sounding better all the time

Just an FYI:

Hulu.PNG

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Contributor

My question about TCM being switched to a sports package at Comcast has never been satisfactorally answered.  There is no excuse for what Comcast is doing.  Profit and lack of interest in serving their customers does not exist at Comcast.  What a dumb move they are doing by switching Turner Classic Movies to a Sports Channel.  Just plain dumb!

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM MOVING TO A SPORTS "ENTERTAINMENT" PACKAGE

My Xfinity package is inundated with sports channels I DON'T WANT nor do I WATCH...and I am sore pressed to believe that people do not watch TCM.  I pay alot of money to watch television that is full of nothing but sports and far too many advertisements, not to mention all of the reruns.  Is this what I pay for?  I pay the advertisers to advertise their products??  What an utterly ridiculous move on the part of xfinity.    TCM is one of the channels I do watch. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

ALERT: Comcast Taking Away Channels Again

I wrote this a few days ago, but never posted it because I was afraid I was too upset and put it off.  However, now that I've seen others' opinions, I don't feel bad about giving Comcast a piece of my mind, again.  I even added a little.  So here it is.

I am writing this because I feel that other customers should know ahead of time and Comcast will likely not inform you until you find your favorite channel missing and ask why.  I was having problems with the TCM.com website (which I have since found is a very common occurrence) and getting no response from TCM (also common).  The site was repeatedly saying it could not verify my tv provider subscription.  There's probably something wrong with the site and I didn't really believe Comcast would be able to help.  But, with no other solution, I called customer service.

During the call I spoke with two different agents.  They speculated on what could cause the problem with TCM and I just happened to find out from an agent in the "Customer Loyalty" dept. that, in October, TCM will be moved from the Digital Starter tier, where it is now, to the 
Sports & Entertainment Pkg., which currently costs an additional $9.95/month.  When I asked about the contract and package I was "stuck" with, I was told that the contract gives Comcast the right to remove channels if they want to. 
I apparently will still have to pay the same amount!

I explained to the agent that, of the over 200 channels included in my package, I actually watch only a handful and about half of those are broadcast stations that I could receive with an antenna.  I was very disappointed that they planned to remove TCM since I enjoy classic films.  I told the agent that I already paid enough for television and was not about to add another package.  This has happened before, like when they moved the Military History Channel to the Sports & Entertainment Pkg.  Is a documentary about WWII atrocities considered a sport or entertainment?  Stupid.  

On the phone I said, "You guys move popular channels to a different package hoping that people will be willing to pay more for another group of channels just to get the ONE that they want, don't you?  You know I'm right."  The response from the other end of the line was dead SILENCE.  Meanwhile, they give us Streampix and more worthless channels that they claim cost money.  Has anyone ever actually watched anything on Streampix?  It's a waste of electrons.

I also told the agent that if Comcast continued to remove my favorite channels, I might disconnect the whole thing.  Right now they charge me over $50.00/month just in fees for one thing or another and there's no reason for me to continue paying for something if I never watch it.  Naturally, she said, "We don't want that to happen.  We want our customers to be happy with their service."  Sure, they say they want us to be happy, but they keep doing things that they know customers don't like.  Happy, my foot!  It's all about the almighty dollar.  The agent told me she would forward my feedback -- not that it will do any good.  If you want this to stop, tell Comcast.  Maybe if enough people complain, the corporate know-it-alls will get the message.

Regarding Comcast's explanation for moving TCM to another package:  I also do not believe their response.  How do they know what people across the country are watching?  I watch TCM almost every day.  It sure beats a lot of the garbage on the other networks.  Currently, the few good shows on tv are very good, but the bad ones are really bad.  And if they want to talk about costs, how about dumping some of the junk they've already given me lately, without asking, like Viceland, Afroentertainment, Motortrend, HITZ, more Spanish channels, children's channels, music channels, and other things I don't want or need?  Take away TLC -- nothing to "learn" there.  And I don't need six channels of Nickelodeon!   LET THE PEOPLE WHO WANT ALL THAT STUFF PAY FOR A SEPARATE PACKAGE!  More channels does not mean better.  I want to keep TCM.  Besides, I'm sure rates will increase anyway.  I also agree with a previous poster.  If I'm already paying for tv, why should I have to put up with so many annoying commercials?  Aren't entertainment executives rich enough?  The cost might not feel like such a rip-off if I could watch everything commercial-free.

I have friends and family who feel the same way.  They're fed up with the trash all over tv nowadays (reality shows & remakes) and the lack of quality programming.  They're tired of paying a fortune for stuff they don't watch.  They're sick of the technical glitches and outages, and looking for alternatives.  When you have hundreds of channels to choose from and can't find anything worth watching that you haven't seen multiple times, or a 2-hour movie is dragged out to 3 hours because a whole hour of commercials has been added, that's pretty sad.  I'd like to find a good antenna and streaming device . . . . or I might move to the country and just forget television altogether.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAlly wrote:
 We regularly review our programming and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering a wide variety of programming at the best value. We look at a variety of factors, including customer viewership and programming costs when making these decisions. Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this and contractual limitations on offering TCM a la carte, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it.

Something just occurred to me, although I've known it all along.

Since when does Comcast care about what the customers prefer or managing costs?

They change channel line-ups on a whim, often with no notice, and charge as much as they think they can get away with.  They do whatever provides more profit for THEM.

When asked for feedback, I tell them the same thing every time, but I've seen no improvement.  I get a wide variety of programming, but it's not the "best value".

An economics teacher taught me that a bargain is not a bargain if the purchase is something you neither want nor need.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: ALERT: Comcast Taking Away Channels Again

I agree with everything in your post.  Unfortunately, most Comcast subscribers won't pay attention until TCM disappears  in October.  I am fed up with Comcast and its fake concern about customers.  This type of thing has gone on for years.  The only thing Comcast is good for is increasing your bill constantly and coming up with additional charges.  And then they supposedly wonder why clients are leaving at a concerning rate--at least for them.  I REPEAT TO COMCAST:  Leave TCM alone.  This is one of the many less than intelligent things you have ever done.  LEAVE TCM ALONE!

Highlighted
Contributor

BIG mistake by Comcast on moving TCM to some redundant sports package which we don't need.  You are upsetting thousands of people Comcast.  Wake up.  We now have alternatives and you are giving us excuses to leave.  WAKE UP!  Leave TCM alone.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I doubt TCM will be left where it has been.  People always threaten to leave but don't. Why?<Edited>Not built out enough and Verizon won't be building out further. <Edited>