Community Forum

Starz leaving Premiere packages?

Contributor

Re: Starz, now I have to pay extra?

Become politically active--demand direct competition between cable companies and better package choices so we don't have to subsidize unwatched channels.  Pick one from each group, cafeteria style, total pay per view all channels, etc.  Demand better contract terms, better notice terms (not to xfinity.com or on bill statemeents), arbitration procedures with each change notice, etc.

New Poster

Re: Starz, now I have to pay extra?

I am, but thanks for the advice, i understand that we need to keep putting it out there cause even though most of us agree on a majority of issues we either don’t vote or vote again our own interests due to ignorance on the issues.
New Poster

Re: Starz leaving Premiere packages?

Please work out a deal with stars. One of my favorite channels I've been with you guys ever since you started I get a 2-year renewal every two years and if you drop Stars I will drop Comcast. I pay $279 a month for my services and I expect them to keep up with their end of the bargain and keep my premium channels. You've already cut Cinemax earlier this year and replaced it with something that is is completely useless. I was upset earlier when you cut Cinemax and never contacted me or any of their customers to see what they thought about this. At that time I complained and part of my complaint I pointed out that they should contact their customers and Survey them before they decide to make changes on popular channels. My contract comes up in March and this will very much weight on it.

New Poster

Changes coming to your
Xfinity TV services

We're always working to evaluate our channel lineup and provide our customers with great service at the best value possible. As a result of this work, we're making a few changes to our channel lineup. We wanted to make sure to keep you informed about what's coming.

We're adding ScreenPix to Digital Preferred and removing select StarzEncore channels

Beginning December 12, 2019, you'll be receiving ScreenPix as part of your Digital Preferred package. ScreenPix is a new suite of channels offering a curated collection of classic movies, uncut and commercial-free. This includes ScreenPix Action, ScreenPix Westerns, and ScreenPix Voices, which will feature films with bold perspectives by filmmakers defined by unique visions.

Please note that on December 10, 2019, we'll be reducing the number of StarzEncore channels. StarzEncore Classic, StarzEncore Suspense, StarzEncore Family, StarzEncore Español, IndiePlex, and RetroPlex will be removed from channel lineups.

We will continue to offer StarzEncore, StarzEncore Action, StarzEncore Black, StarzEncore Westerns and associated StarzEncore On Demand content. While our current agreement ends on December 31, we're working hard to reach a deal with StarzEncore to preserve the right to offer you that programming beyond December 31, 2019.

Learn more about ScreenPix and these changes.

Thank you for being an Xfinity customer.
Regular Visitor

Starz is leaving and being replaced by Epix

Starz is leaving and being replaced by Epix.   I have paid $5.99 per month for

Epix for some time.  It certainly does not replace Starz' series  by a long shot.

Contributor

Your message says all that needs to be said, except to the regulators

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

We pay programmers like networks, local TV station owners and others for the ability to bring their programming to you. We regularly review our programming and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering a wide variety of programming at the best value. We look at a variety of factors, including customer viewership and programming costs when making these decisions.

Given this, we decided to replace all Starz channels included in packages with EPIX. This will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make this content available to those who want to watch it. On December 10, 2019, the following Starz channels and associated on demand content will be removed from packages:

• Starz
  • Starz Edge
  • Starz in Black
  • Starz Comedy
  • Starz Cinema
  • Starz Kids & Family

If you would like to continue to view Starz and Starz On Demand, you'll need to subscribe to Starz a la carte for $12 per month. Learn more about how to add Starz.

Frequently Asked Questions
What is EPIX?
EPIX is a premium network with several associated channels: EPIX 2, EPIX Hits, and EPIX Drive-In. With EPIX and its associated content, you’ll get unlimited access to hit films, critically-acclaimed original series, documentaries and more, uncut and commercial-free.

Are you dropping Starz?
While Starz is being removed from packages on December 10, if you want to continue to view Starz and Starz On Demand, you can subscribe to Starz a la carte for $12 per month. Our current agreement with Starz ends on December 31. We are working hard to reach a deal with Starz to preserve the right to offer Starz content to our customers beyond December 31. For more information, please see Starz a la Carte Channel Changes.

Can I still subscribe to Starz?
Yes. You can add Starz and Starz On Demand to your TV package. Learn how to subscribe to Starz.

Will I be charged for Starz if an agreement is not reached?
If we're unable to reach an agreement with Starz by December 31, we will no longer carry Starz content and you will not be charged.

What will happen to my scheduled DVR recordings?
On December 10, the Starz channels listed above will be removed from our channel lineup. Your DVR won’t record any new or future programming, and you won’t be able to watch the channel anymore. However, you can still watch anything you previously recorded from these channels.

For additional information on recent Starz changes please see our articles: Starz al a Carte Channel Changes & Adding ScreenPix to Digital Preferred and Removing Select StarzEncore Channels

@ComcastJessie 

I have been a Comcast Customer since 1996.

My past 2 year contract for Preferred Plus Triple Play (2016-2018) was $197 month total. Then when I renewed the plan last year it went to $225. Last month I was forced to shell out $10 month just for TCM since the rest of the channels in the Sports and Entertainment Package I have no need for. This makes the bill $238. And now $12 to add Starz back would make my bill about $250. Compare that to $197 (2016-2018) for the exact same channel lineup. $50/month increase!

Contributor

You can do a lot with $250 each month.

Regular Visitor

If STARZ LEAVE, I LEAVE............

New Poster

Again you remove or relocate channels out of the premiere packages and think you haven't breached the contract you agreed on when we signed up for your service. I don't see any compensation in the monthly bill. When your system goes down ( nine different days in October once for more than 15 hours) you think we should just take it. If we consider leaving you want to charge us for breaking the two year contract but you can do whatever you want and we have little recourse. Most customers don't realize that we have lost WE TV, WGN Investigative Discovery and now STARZ. TCM was moved to a place that will cost us another $9.99 a month to get something we were already paying for. This is totally unacceptable. Next time I visit the Xfinity store I'll look to see if they are wearing masks because they work for robbers.

Regular Contributor

Wow, this is insane. Just got the news while watching Power. I've always been a comcast guy but Starz was pretty much the best channel and best on-demand network they had. Thankfully there are lots of other options out there nowadays

New Poster

When will this be happening. Cinemax, Starz, and the increase in price to keep channel is crazy. You would think that you would want to keep these channels so you don't lose out to the steamng services. 

New Poster

Xfinity TV Update: Effective December 10, 2019, Comcast will no longer carry Encore Suspense and Encore Family. For more information about this change, visit xfinity.com/EncoreChanges.

Xfinity TV Update: Effective December 10, 2019, we're adding Epix to the following packages and Starz will no longer be available: Super Triple Play, Super Double Play, Signature Triple Play, Signature Double Play, and the Digital Premier Tier. With Epix and its associated content you'll get unlimited access to hit films, critically acclaimed original series, documentaries and more, uncut and commercial-free. For more information about this change, visit xfinity.com/ EpixChanges.  Epix is not worth it. I used to pay for it and it has 2 shows tops worth watching and the so-called hit movies are old, like your Hitz channels.

Xfinity TV Update: Effective December 10, 2019, Comcast will no longer carry Starz Edge, Starz in Black, Starz Cinema, Starz Comedy and Starz Kids & Family. For more information about this change, visit xfinity.com/StarzChanges. So again you cut service in the middle of the series that have begun, smh.

Xfinity TV Update: Effective December 20, 2019, AnyRoom DVR Service will no longer be available for new subscriptions. If you currently have AnyRoom DVR Service, you will continue to receive this service until you make a change or you receive further notice.”   Cutting services and my bill not being reduced, just like my commute service to work. 

New Poster

Since they are removing the channels I watch on the Premier level, I will stop paying the Premier prices.  Starter or Preferred for me.  I can get the missing channels I want through other providers, not paying xfinity for channels I used to have.  They have removed Cinemax, TCM, and now Starz, Retroplex, Indieplex, and Encore.  Frustrated!

New Poster

Can we stop this? I briefly saw a message including a # & a web address that read; “Stop Comcast/ Xfinity from getting rid of Starz, it was right before I restarted a movie (8 Mile) but I didn’t have a pen! Can’t we band together. I don’t know how much you pay 💰 but I feel like I’ve been taken for a ride, and papered in with a bait and switch contract!
New Poster

Re: Replacing STARZ with EPIX????

This viewer/customer is ABSOLUTELY right! This needs to move up the ladder, to an actual Decision Maker. At some point the customer has to become more important than the stock and stockholders, because ITS our money 💰 that line’s their pockets. Give something back that we already had. This is just proving that you’re making your decisions on what’s RIGHT for your company and stockholders. But it is the customer’s that did that, that paid all of you. Shame on all of you!
New Poster

Re: TMC and STARZ

Hitz is sooooo bad, I don’t know where they found it! The rerun of old bad B rated movies! That they want to charge for the LOW fee of $12.00 a month. This is one of the stupidest (& insulting!) ideas Comcast has come up with. I wish I was in THAT pitch meeting, I picture all old white dudes, nodding and thinking what a “SUPER” plan. Then back slapping all around. “Our customers will NEVER notice “ hahaha! There’s power in numbers people, I have a contract but this just negates it. We are not stupid and we have the buying power. Like the Purge, our weapons will be our words, petitions, this site etc. We’ve been silent too long as they made a LOT of money 💰. Pure unadulterated greed. It’s our turn to exercise our 1st amendment rights. I’m tired of being taken advantage of and then saying, “Thank you, may I please have some more “ sorry to go off like this, but my dogs dying and my husband has Alzheimer’s (in Clinical trial) so TV is my happy place. Sign me frustrated
Highlighted
Contributor

ComcastJessie,

I guess if we don't agree with you, our comments are removed so nobody sees them? Nice! We pay a lot of money for our cable, internet and phones and this company continues to remove channels. We continue to pay the same amount for channels we don't get & also pay another amount to watch a subpar channel replacement?  I'm sorry. I have been a customer since Continental Cablevision many years ago. I pay almost $240! How many channels will be left for the customers to watch? If the company would decrease the amount people pay after these channels are removed, that would be acceptable, but I don't expect that.  Not cool Xfinity/Comcast! 

New Poster

Re: Starz

If u remove starz from my package I will change my package to no premium channels and get them from Amazon. Then I will look into getting everything I need from another source and cut the cord. I would suggest you cut excutive pay and keep starz. You will no longer be competitive and u wonder why so many are cutting the cord.

Contributor

Hi, just "got" my bill today and all of the information is on the last page except for the part about why our bills won't go down even though the level of "service" went down. I fully understand that in business things change but there is also a thing called good will that should taken into account. If/when you are expected to live up to a contract then both parties should have to do the same. All Comcast had to do was continue with the services until the affected parties "fell" out of the contract new renewal new rules. I really am upset that there is no way for this to be addressed to anyone in Upper Management so that the see that we are just wanting what we "agreed" to and want the same respect they require.

New Poster

From October through December 2019 Comcast has dropped at least 16 movie channels from my Triple Play Premier subscription, including cinemax, starz and TCM.  There is no mention of any reduction in billing, so I assume that is not going to happen.   Will have to take a close look at all available options. 

Most Valued Poster

Contributor

Hi, I really am not upset with the business part of the decision to drop pay channels if my bill drops but as noted from others that is not the case. This is situation where they say it is for your own good because we are looking out for the "valued" customer. Lower my price and let me move on. The whole argument over value is probably true because I know I replace them from other sources cheaper than Comcast wants to charge me but right now Comcast has my money by not lowering my bill.

Regular Contributor

Re: Starz-Comcast Contract Dispute draws DOJ Inquiry

New Poster

Yes effective 12/10/19 - STARZ will not be a part of the Xfinity Premier service anymore - instead they are replacing it with EPIX channel - I got a letter this weekend from Comcast/Xfinity indicating that my STARZ channels will not be a part of my premier service package anymore and will be replaced with 4 EPIX channels.  I would like to know how much is the STARZ subscription a la carte in December if you wanted to keep it. 

Regular Contributor

@cinhart61 wrote:

Yes effective 12/10/19 - STARZ will not be a part of the Xfinity Premier service anymore - instead they are replacing it with EPIX channel - I got a letter this weekend from Comcast/Xfinity indicating that my STARZ channels will not be a part of my premier service package anymore and will be replaced with 4 EPIX channels.  I would like to know how much is the STARZ subscription a la carte in December if you wanted to keep it. 

Previously asked and anwsered here:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Starz-leaving-Premiere-packages/m-p/3278533#M...

Most Valued Poster

@cinhart61 wrote:

$12 to keep Starz after December 10th.

Contributor

I've read all the posts, clicked all the links and can't find the answer to question .........

I already have Epix in my subscription list at $6/mth. When the change occurs will I still be charged for Epix ? Sorry if I missed it 

Contributor

I would guess no. I am basing this on what happened with Cinemax. My other posts are kind of along those lines, lower my price and let me buy what you don't want to supply at the contracted package price. All I know is if I didn't deliver what I was contracted to do I would be sued for breach of contract.

Contributor

OK,  this is for Mr. "Comcast Jessie".  On the one hand, you and Comcast via emails, letters, and notices on our bills are saying that Starz will drop from the "packages" on Dec 10th and still be available as an add-on for $12.00 after that.  And then you say that Starz will not be available - period - as of Jan 1st -no add-ons, no On-Demand etc.  That negotions have stopped.  (Even though this post about the DOJ involvement may say otherwise).  Yet in other posts you infer that Starz via On-Demand will still be available after the 1st of the year.   Stop the confusion and answer me this:  Will I - or will I not - be able to view programming on Starz such as "Outlander" via my Comcast X-1 <Edited> box by paying you the $12.00 per month <Edited> in 2020.  Clear up the confusion.  Most of us would at least like a clear and honest answer on this.  Why <Edited> are you telling us at this point that we can "subscribe" to Starz after Dec 10th when it's really going to be only for for 3 weeks as you are saying now?

Regular Contributor

@Dvrmitch wrote:

I've read all the posts, clicked all the links and can't find the answer to question .........

I already have Epix in my subscription list at $6/mth. When the change occurs will I still be charged for Epix ? Sorry if I missed it 

Assuming you have a Premiere Triple Play that presently includes STARZ and if you also have EPIX as a separate adder for $5.99/mo, then no.  EPIX will be moved into your Premiere and the $5.99/mo fee for EPIX will be eliminated.  I'm in the same situation.

New Poster

NO STARZ?? I AM CANCELING YOU PEOPLE!!

This is ridiculous, you are taking away the only channel we watch regularly!  EPIX??  What kind of low-budget channel is that!  Thus far you cannot get me wifi to the office in my house and now you are canceling the best channel.  I pay WAY too much money for no service AND no selection.  Buh Bye Comcast!!

New Poster

We are leaving too, Starz is the only channel we watch regularly.  I got a notice in the mail like we are supposed to thank Comcast for giving us EPIX instead of Starz.

New Poster

• Concerning the change from STARZ to EPIX, you can count us OUT! Where was your survey on this change? We ARE EXTREMELY UNHAPPY with you plans to make this change and will be looking at other options of our own.
Contributor

Why is it $12 dollars per month to add STARZ ala carte?  I can subscribe to STARZ  without Comcast for $8.99 via Hulu or via the STARZ app on different platforms.  <Edited>

Contributor

Hi, I am NOT defending Comcast but I believe that from the business side of the company that is the point that they are making "we" can buy it cheaper than they can (I don't believe it) So by removing it and charging for it they stand to profit from us. My issue on this as stated before is lower my bill and if I want to replace Starz I will at the lower price from somewhere else and unfortunately this is a point Comcast is missing that they are forcing customers to other sources and wondering why they are losing customers.in the process. To me the replacing of all of the Starz's channels  with an inferior channel and less of them too is like ordering steak and substituting hamburger (it's meat). All in all it still comes down to them breaking a contract but forcing us to continue until the timeframe is over or pay the excessive fees to leave. There are many options but it is a pain in the butt to do and nobody wants to follow through with the process agencies to contact or everyone just cancel the services (won't happen)

New Poster

I understand that Comcast has to negotiate contracts with content providers, and they have every right to refuse unprofitable deals. However, dropping channels seems to happen far more often than it used to. For that reason, IMO cable providers should rethink their traditional business model of locking subscribers into lengthy contracts if they can't include reasonable guarantees about the channel lineup. And if they don't rethink it on their own, then government regulators should probably rethink it for them (which it sounds like it might be happening already).

Sometimes I feel like Comcast has resigned themselves to cable TV eventually being replaced by streaming services, and are just trying to squeeze out as much profit as they can before the cable business dries up instead of trying to evolve in a competitive way.

Regular Contributor

@djkuula wrote:

Sometimes I feel like Comcast has resigned themselves to cable TV eventually being replaced by streaming services, and are just trying to squeeze out as much profit as they can before the cable business dries up instead of trying to evolve in a competitive way.

Actually IMHO it's a smart stradegy to let the portion of customers using Legacy Equipent (and some X1 accounts) who would never stwitch to Comcast's coming streaming model move on down the road on their own.  All the recent channel changes will help expedite this clean-out process of those "never-again" customers.  We often tend to find this typical of all businesses and industries (and nothing personal, just business). As technology advances most customers normally tend to try and move forward and adapt, while those who resist often bog down the whole system.  Just my opinion .... Also hope Comcast is able to aquire Liongate's STARZ Group on attractive terms to benefit current Xfinity customers.

Contributor

Hi, I kind of agree that this is probably a way to "get rid" of customers but a couple points. If they change the "rules" then release the customer from a contract without having to jump through a bunch of hoops. I don't think if Comcast was to purchase Starz (Lionsgate says not for sale) that the customer will benefit because then they would have to "purchase" a new package with new terms. I do believe that many companies are following this line of thinking because some Business course is teaching classes on how to squeeze as much money as possible before you lose a customer.  The other thing is I firmly believe that Comcast (and others) only look at the figures at the end of whatever timeframe they use and if the numbers of customers are roughly the same they don't care how they got there.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Channels Once Again Taken Off Lineup, Not Good

Yeah I've lost/am losing approximately 12 movie channels yet my bill has not changed. HITZ is nothing more than On-Demand that nobody asked for. Epix is okay but if I really wanted it then I'd have paid the $5 or $6 per month for it. Most of my time spent using cable is watching the various movie channels. They're killing the return on investment for me. I will definitely be reducing my package if they drop Starz and if they do not add Cinemax back. And I will definitely cancel next year if they continue with this. 

New Poster

Well it is cbiviously a profit thing removing Staz which you then want to charge $12 for. On Dec. 10 I will cut the cord and say good bye to triple pay as starz  and the other lost movie channel was why I had tripe play in the first place. You tube t.v which charges $49.95 a month will soon be my provider. It has no boxes etc. which tends to line comcast's pockets with all the other charges. You have a bunch of channels I never watch maybe you should drop them and use that money to pay Starz. It does feel nice to become a cord cutter though I thought I was to old for such actions. Thank you comcast for pushing me into the 21st century. You have become a dinosaur.

Regular Contributor

Re: Starz/Encore being replaced by Epix/ScreenPix

So, in addition to removing the provably beloved TCM despite the backlash which never would have happened if it had as low a viewership as Comcast <Edited> claimed, they are taking away Starz channels as well. They are leaving in Starz westerns and action, but taking away suspense, indieplex and retroplex. In return we get MORE westerns and action. Two western channels and no suspense? No classic? Doesn't seem like the broadening horizons they are trumpeting. <br><br>We've been customers since about 1990, but they don't really care. I'm sure after this the next change we will learn of is another increase in prices.<br><br>Snip snip

Regular Contributor

Why should I pay Comcast $12 to view Starz when I can go to Apple or Amazon and get it for $8.99? Once again Comcast, you think way too much of yourselves and expect us to overpay for the priviledge of getting something on your network.

New Poster

Stars Cancelation

Will I get a different network when Stars is canceled? If not will my bill be lowered? If not how can I get in touch with someone too demand it!

Most Valued Poster

Re: Starz/Encore being replaced by Epix/ScreenPix

@renata wrote:

So, in addition to removing the provably beloved TCM despite the backlash which never would have happened if it had as low a viewership as Comcast <Edited> claimed, they are taking away Starz channels as well. They are leaving in Starz westerns and action, but taking away suspense, indieplex and retroplex. In return we get MORE westerns and action. Two western channels and no suspense? No classic? Doesn't seem like the broadening horizons they are trumpeting. <br><br>We've been customers since about 1990, but they don't really care. I'm sure after this the next change we will learn of is another increase in prices.<br><br>Snip snip

Too bad they can't just bundle TCM in with Starz for $12, instead of having to pay $10 for TCM -AND- $12 for Starz.

Frequent Visitor

Honest and Comcast are becoming increasingly at odds with their seemingly bait and switch efforts by promising packages, signing up customers for two year contractrs, then changing the lure to get the contract signed...

New Poster

As long as you are replacing Starz with something comparable on my package , I'm okay with that.  I am just hoping it's similar and I'm not getting ripped off. It took so much time to get the channel package and internet speed I wanted I would really rather not have to call and renegotiate my contract.

Contributor

Hello, I also "hate" calling and trying to "fix" the issues that are being created by the new and improved channel lineup, dropping Cinemax, Starz and such. I just want what I paid for or a lower bill so I can move forward but Comcast does not see it that way.

Frequent Visitor

I am moving to the Preferred with Home Security and X1 after mucho years on non-X1. While overall I am getting less than previously, some I don't care about.  However, I was not happy to hear about Starz.  That said, I looked at adding Starz to Hulu and it is $14.98 / month rather than $12 / month.  Not much difference but enough that I guess I"ll keep it.  However, my overall costs will now be much less, at least for 2 years.  TCM is infuriating though that to get it I have to keep the Sports and Entertainment package and only have recently realized that I don't watch any of those channels, except now TCM.  Grrr..  And you cannot get TCM any other way really.

Contributor

Hi, the moving of channels to the Sports and Entertainment has been a "sore" spot for as many years as they have done it, I posted awhile ago about the fact that in theory that with the name of the tier anything and everything could eventually be moved into there because the entire lineup is Entertainment.