Community Forum

Discover Plus

wwliterski
New Poster

Re: Discovery plus

I dropped Netflix (going up to 17.99/mo) and subscribed to Discovery+ at $6.99 /mo for commercial free episodes.  I'm hoping it can be an app to add to our options, soon. Like Hulu, and some others.

Tags (2)
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: discovery plus

I just spoke with a rep about it a couple of days ago and it won't be available until the end of 2021, no specific date, and they will charge extra for the channel. Disney + will be added in Feb and they will charge an additional fee for it also, so I don't see the point in getting either one of them from Comcast. Might as well get them on your own.
_______
@cab3686
It’s more for billing convenience, like Netflix, Prime, it doesn’t matter where the subscription comes from

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
wwliterski
New Poster

Re: discovery plus

I did get it from Discovery+, not through Comcast. I added it to my Roku devices. I wouldn't pay Comcast for it, but they have voice control to Netflix and Prime already which you have to have a subscription for. All I was trying to say is that it would be nice if eventually you can ask the 'remote' for Discovery+ and get it like the others. You don't pay Comcast any extra for those services either.
remarKEd
Frequent Visitor

Re: Discovery Plus

IMHO, it's just another chance to "rip off" the Discover viewers, the programs you like to watch are being rolled into Discover Plus by the Discover Channel. If you want to watch them PAY, if not don't.

That's what boils down too, pay the "Rip Off" or, don't..

eastmoreland
Contributor

I can totally understand the righteous anger, because if what you all are saying about first-run episodes of certain shows (not all!) is true, the Discover people seem like slimebags of the first degree.  And I can somewhat understand voicing your anger here at Xfinity, because that's who you are paying to watch these channels.  And if you threaten to cancel Xfinity because of this, perhaps Xfinity can put pressure on Discover to change their policy.  Money talks, and that's where your money is going, at least initially.  But you should also express your anger directly to Discover as well.  Those are the real slimebags, and they deserve to hear about your displeasure directly.  They need to know how what they did now makes you feel.  Maybe they're not really evil, just idiots who don't have a clue.  But if they're not hearing from you directly, they probably don't know that people are upset at them.

andyross
Silver Problem Solver

ComcastChe
Official Employee

Re: Discovery+

We appreciate you asking your question here in the Xfinity Forum, we are happy to help, @Disgruntled_2. That's a good question by the way. This was not a decision that was made by Comcast. We upload the content provided to us by the networks. For content requests, please visit: https://comca.st/3c2MYyy. I hope this helps. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
DonaRenee
New Poster

discovery plus banner

How do i get the discovery plus banner at the top right to go away.  I am tired of seeing it on the screen

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: discovery plus banner

It’s embedded on the channel by Discovery, there isn’t a way

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
ljalmodovar
New Poster

Discovery +

Is there going to be a reduction in pricing because of the networks and shows moving to Discovery +. No matter how you look at it customers are paying for the channels and programs. Now there's a reduction in service. I'll gladly pay the price for Discovery + if the price of the Xfinity service was also reduced.
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Discovery +

Doubt it, the channels will and are still there and Comcast isn’t responsible for content

David49221
Regular Visitor

Re: Discover Plus

Quote...

Silver Problem Solver

"Re: Discover Plus

Again. THERE WILL BE NO CHANNELS REMOVED FROM THE CABLE LINEUP!!!! Discovery+ is a SEPARATEstreaming service similar to Disney+, AMC+, HBO Max, etc... All shows currently on the linear channels will remain there. Some newer shows are exclusive to Discovery+."

However, some shows are being removed from HGTV on xfinity like Property Brothers Forever Home and will only be on Discovery+. Plus past shows formerly available on demand are gone and will only be on D+. Just tried to watch old House Hunters...ALL GONE!

dcfox
Regular Contributor

@David49221  The shows are not being removed by Xfinity, It is discovery removing them. 

David49221
Regular Visitor

But they are being removed. Not xfinity’s fault, but xfinity becomes less and less valuable. What’s being offered on demand continues to shrink. Xfinity has a problem and I hope their bigwigs address it and not just point the blame elsewhere even if warranted.
Gargyrl37
New Poster

Very few, if any new episodes from the Discovery channels are airing on regular cable, just on Discovery +.  We are paying for new episodes and now we are getting a few but not all. Seriously frustrating.

Again
Expert

@Gargyrl37 wrote:

Very few, if any new episodes from the Discovery channels are airing on regular cable, just on Discovery +.  We are paying for new episodes and now we are getting a few but not all. Seriously frustrating.

Complain to Discovery.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
dcfox
Regular Contributor

Yea I don't understand why some people think this is a Xfinity problem. 

David49221
Regular Visitor

It’s a problem FOR xfinity. .
green-willow
New Poster

When can we expect the Discovery Plus app on Flex?

We subscribe to Discovery Plus but can't access it on our Flex. Is there an app in the works?

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: When can we expect the Discovery Plus app on Flex?

@green-willow
There’s isn’t one. Nothing has been announced yet.

JNiv
New Poster

No, they are staying but one can already see limitations on what programming is on the linear channel and what is available on-demand with your Xfinity subscription. They are moving quite a few new shows and content to Discovery plus only so it is only available streaming directly through their service.
JNiv
New Poster

Spinning off what channels? Comcast pays a fee to include channels in their line up. Discovery simply is no longer making some programming available on the channels Comcast carries. Look at what is available on Peacock vs what’s available through channels or in the “on demand” offerings on xfinity.
JNiv
New Poster

Xfinity is not dropping Discovery, Food Network or HGTV.
frankWainwright
New Poster

Not true. Mny of the more popular shows are being pulled off of the regular offering to force you to buy Discovery+ separately. Poor negotiating job by Comcast.

frankWainwright
New Poster

Discovery + is taking all the popular content out of the regular channel offering and leaving Comcast users with the leftover garbage no one watches. 

dcfox
Regular Contributor

@frankWainwright wrote:

Not true. Mny of the more popular shows are being pulled off of the regular offering to force you to buy Discovery+ separately. Poor negotiating job by Comcast.

It is Discovery doing it, nothing to negotiate. Xfinity may have an app for it in the future like Netflix,  Prime and Hulu for it but you would still have to pay for it. 

eastmoreland
Contributor

All those Discovery channels still run commercials, don't they?  If people stop watching those channels, they won't be able to sell those commercials, or won't be able to charge so much for them.  So stop watching those channels.  Hit them in the pocket book.

marcos46628
New Poster

discovery channel programs

What if anything does comcast plan to do about all the exiting discovery channels programs that have been removed from cable and put on discovery plus streaming? There are several of these programs I have enjoyed that are no longer available . These shows are about half of what I dvr.I for one am paying enough for comcast and refuse to pay $4.99 a month for programs that up to now were on comcast.Will you reduce the price of your service since I am not longer able to watch these shows if you are not willing to forvce discovery Inc. to return these to cable line up???

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: discovery channel programs

@marcos46228
I’d expect nothing done, Comcast has no control over content, just the network being there. As a consumer, let Discovery know how you feel

David49221
Regular Visitor

Why would Discovery care?
OldTVGuide
Contributor

This is kinda bothering me. I've noticed fewer new shows on ID channel that are going to Discovery+. I pay for Comcast service to watch my shows and I don't want to pay for an additional streaming service. Can Comcast exec's talk to the Discovery exec's and plead on its customers behalf to keep original programming on Comcast for long time loyal customers? Please?😀

Cg2003
New Poster

Discovery Plus

How do I access Discovery Plus ? I can't find it anywhere!!!

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

@Cg2003
There is nothing presently on cable box. Search this thread or a simple Google search for compatible devices

machado22
Contributor

Please excuse me if this information has alreay been shared:

If you use Verizon they are offering Discover Plus for free. So any wireless customers w/Verizon should take advantage of that offer. Just like Verizon offers to pay for Disney+, Hulu and Apple Music, if you have a certain wireless plan.

There is also the option of getting the proper smart TV that includes apps like Discovery Plus and many more. That way you can keep your Comcast/Xfinity subscription but also use the TV apps so you can watch all your content in one place and without paying extra.

Tscerbi
New Poster

So, Xfinity will continue to charge us the already high monthly rate, but now we’ll also need to subscribe (for additional fee) to Discovery + of we want to be able to watch many of the shows we were already watching before Discovery +.
Why do we need xfinity?
David49221
Regular Visitor

Exactly. We watch very little TV but haven’t cut the cable because of my wife’s love of HGTV. Well guess what?! Goodbye high xfinity bill!
JNiv
New Poster

Who is your alternative internet provider? If you are like us, we have no real alternative. If you didn’t notice they also implemented data caps on their formerly unlimited internet plans to catch people shifting to streaming services. Now you have to either pay MORE for an unlimited data or risk exceeding the 1.2tb, which I already do with three people teleworking 100% and a big time gamer in the house.
OldTVGuide
Contributor

I have AT&T as my internet provider. I have Comcast for cable TV. All of the things on Comcast that says internet required, I cannot access because even though I have internet, it's not theirs.

msmoeey
New Poster

Discovery +

How do I access discovery +
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

@msmoeey
Not presently available on X1 cable boxes, do a google search for compatible devices

David49221
Regular Visitor

So shows go away and there’s no way to get them without shelling out $$$ for compatible devices. And $$$ for D+.
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

As a consumer, do what you have to do. Comcast is responsible for channels being there, they have no control over content. Apps on X1 boxes take months, they don’t materialize instantly, especially in a pandemic

al40
New Poster

Why does Discovery Plus exist? This is bad. I’m a widow now and pay well over $200/ month for Comcast as it is! And I don’t even have any movie channels!!! So what’s going to happen to the original Discovery?!?!!??
JNiv
New Poster

It is a streaming service to provide their content. It exists so Discovery Networks has total control of what their customers see and how. There is no need for a cable tv provider for determine which of their channels they carry, nor financial deals. People objected to cable providers choosing what they provide. Basically they get 100% of the subscriber fees. They are edging traditional cable out.
JNiv
New Poster

Discovery will be right where it is, but there’s no guarantee they will keep all of the same shows or air the new episodes there first.
JNiv
New Poster

Drop cable tv and choose to pay for only what you choose to stream.
JNiv
New Poster

Dubya dubya dubya dot discovery plus dot com.
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

@al40
It exists as a another revenue stream for Discovery corporation.

JNiv
New Poster

Nope, not on Discovery plus.
LB711
Regular Visitor

I was waiting to see what happened with the programs I watch, Travel channel has moved ALL of my favorite programs to Discovery+. Why should we pay for cable  to watch reruns of shows we've seen? All of the shows they say are new have been really old versions renamed as new. I think xfinity should have some clout with the Discovery network stations. You have many very unhappy customers.  Will the shows they moved come to the Travel channel at a later date or are we just out of luck.  We are currently trying to decide if cable is still right for us or to go with strictly a streaming type service to get what we want. If Xfinity doesn't look into this issue and have your customers back . We are retired and trying to find places to cut in our budget so $240 a month cable bill is starting to look like it is going obsolete and streaming is the new way to go. Fight for your customers (40 years we have been with you) don't let the channels you sell as a package become rerun channels no one wants to view, or drop them and lower your prices.