Community Forum

Discover Plus

lm21
New Poster

Discover Plus

Will there be an extra chage on my bill for DiscoverPlus. My current plan gets all the programs mentioned in Discover plus advertising

Tags (1)
andyross
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Discover Plus

Discovery+ is a separate streaming service by Discovery Networks. It's like CBS All Access and will probably be separate from your cable subscription.

Tags (1)
comc25
Regular Contributor

This will be separate as with Netflix, Hulu etc.

We’ll also see Paramount Plus debut in ‘21 as well.

Regular cable is quickly falling.
Tags (2)
andyross
Silver Problem Solver

Paramount plus is just going to be a new name for CBS All Access.

Goldenpat
New Poster

If we don't purchase Discovery Plus will we not be able to see any of those included channels that we see right now?
Tags (1)
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

It’s a separate streaming service that has nothing to do with Comcast and doesn’t affect your service. It’s a one stop for all the Discovery owned channels

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Tags (1)
Goldenpat
New Poster

Good! Thank you
Tags (1)
comc25
Regular Contributor

More than a name change. Other content will be integrated as well.

Ma4201
Contributor

Discovery plus

Will Xfinity have Discovery plus on X1 when it launches on December 22nd

Tags (1)
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Discovery plus

Nothing has been announced regarding adding it, very rarely is an app released on the X1 platform the same day it starts. Peacock is the obvious exception.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Tags (1)
OldTVGuide
Contributor

Isn't Discovery Plus the channels we already pay for in our cable packages?

Tags (1)
comc25
Regular Contributor

Yes but there will be original shows there as well.

Plus option for no commercials.

Expect it in mid 21 at best.
Tags (1)
andyross
Silver Problem Solver

Discovery Plus launches on January 4, 2021.

In December 2020, Discovery announced the launch of its streaming service, Discovery Plus. It will launch on January 4, 2021. The service will be available across all major platforms.[81]

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/2/22018581/discovery-streaming-service-launch-date-price-shark-week...

Tags (1)
Cestlimber
New Poster

Will Xfinity/Comcast be removing the channels covered under Discovery+ from their cable channel line up like they removed TCM?

Tags (1)
andyross
Silver Problem Solver

TCM was not removed. It was just moved to Sports/Entertainment, and has nothing to do with streaming. Since it has no ads, Comcast could not make a deal to add their own ads to make money.

I doubt if there will be any change to the linear Discovery channels any time soon. Discovery+ is just like HBO Max and similar that just squash all the programs into one streaming subscription. I do notice that in some of their graphics showing the channels it will carry, SCIENCE is not one of them.

Tags (1)
comc25
Regular Contributor

These streaming services are the beginning of the end for the linear channels.
curry2
New Poster

discovery plus

Is discovery plus going to be included with our comcast subscription?

Tags (1)
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: discovery plus

Nothing has been announced about it even being added, so you may be jumping the gun a bit. They currently do that with Netflix and Prime so who knows

Tags (1)
andyross
Silver Problem Solver

Re: discovery plus

@curry2 wrote:

Is discovery plus going to be included with our comcast subscription?

Very doubtful. The only reason Peacock is included for free is because it's owned by NBC Universal, just like Comcast. You may be able to subscribe through Comcast, but as with all of these services, you are better off subscribing directly with them to avoid payment issues.

Tags (1)
laurakern
New Poster

will our bill decrease since all these channels will no longer be provided?

cdk1
New Poster

Discovery plus

Can I subscribe to Discovery Plus and watch it on my TV? If so how do I do that? I’m only doing it for 1 show
Tags (1)
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

You would need to order it from discovery and a device or tv to download it to, when it’s released. There’s been no word on Comcast adding it

Tags (1)
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

@laurakern
Who said you were losing any Discovery channels? It’s an extra/separate streaming service

Tags (1)
DR2020
Contributor

And exactly how is it “extra”??? Looks to me like Xfinity is spinning off its most popular channels - advertised as part of its cable services - and expects to keep its cable billing the same. NOPE!!!
Tags (1)
dcfox
Regular Contributor

@DR2020  does your bill say discovery plus or  Discovery. They are two separate things I think you are missing. My package has Discovey channel, not Discovery plus wich is a seperate streaming channel. Just like Hulu you pay them but can get it through an app on the x1 box. 

Tags (1)
DR2020
Contributor

Xfinity’s own “Help Desk” is telling me Discovery+, which includes HGTV, Food Network and DIY, will spin off into a Hulu type channel the beginning of January - into a streaming network. Meaning - if you only watch that network - you can pay $4.99/month to stream it on your Smart TV instead of the $150/month you pay to Xfinity. So, out of $180/month cable and internet bill - $30/month is internet and $150/month is cable. And of that $150/month cable programming, Discovery Network is going away - HGTV, Food Network, DIY. I only want cable for Discovery Network. So I plan to dump a $150/month cable bill and buy the $4.99/month streaming Discovery channel. Bye Bye extra $145 of wasted money!!!
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

@DR2020
I think you’re getting excited over nothing. Discovery plus is a SEPARATE streaming service, it’s an OPTION like Netflix or Prime or Peacock is. Channels aren’t going anywhere. You said yourself above “customers CAN pay” but don’t have to

comc25
Regular Contributor

Discovery content will be on the streaming service, so eventually why have the channels at all? 

If all they watch is Discovery, then why pay for cable at that point??

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Then that is any consumers choice to make about their viewing habits but they should have correct information that they understand not rumors of a service that hasn’t even started yet.

Themsel
New Poster

Discovery Plus will have all the content from channels owned by Discovery channel. Travel, Science, Food Network, TLC, Cooking Channel, HGTV, OWN, etc.. They will also have original series programs, many hosted or involving celebrities apart of the Discovery family. I see they will also have content from A&E, History Channel and other stations too. I believe they will an ad-free plan and one with limited ads for around half the price.
Noahis12
New Poster

Discovery Plus

Does Xfinity customers have to pay for it
andyross
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Discovery Plus

Almost certainly yes. It's just another streaming service like Netflix, CBS All Access, etc... Peacock is free only because it's part of NBC/Universal, just like Comcast.

andyross
Silver Problem Solver

Amongst the channel logos they often show, Science is NOT one of them...

Zooman
Regular Visitor

Science is listed among the channels at discoveryplus.com.

Lizabeth16
New Poster

Will we have to pay extra, & will it be available?
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Yes, it’s a pay service and it hasn’t been announced yet

gfwalker
Regular Visitor

It's NOT "just like HBOMax". On the latter, I can sign in using my Xfinity credentials and there's no additional charge.
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

It kind of is, except your HBO access is rolled into your cable bill.

kdubya1
New Poster

Will Comcast receive the new episodes fairly quick or at the same time as this new stream channel?
andyross
Silver Problem Solver

If you are talking about the Discovery+ app, then it makes no difference what platform. All would receive everything at the same time. Some shows that will be exclusive to Discovery+ may never show up on the linear channels, or maybe just air one episode as a teaser.  As for when linear channel program episodes appear on Discovery+ is up to Discovery Networks.

For reference, linear channels means the regular cable channels you tune into.

DR2020
Contributor

And, take screenshots of your questions and answers here because little retiree “moderator “ is erasing the one Xfinity doesn’t like.
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

And, take screenshots of your questions and answers here because little retiree “moderator “ is erasing the one Xfinity doesn’t like.

Discovery Plus hasn’t been released yet, I think you’re getting worked up over nothing and need to chill out
https://corporate.discovery.com/discovery-newsroom/discovery-announces-the-global-launch-of-discover...

eastmoreland
Contributor

I think what a lot of us were hoping is that because we already pay for the Discovery channels in our cable bill, just like many of us pay for HBO in our cable bills, we'd have access to Discovery+ for no additional charge, as it works for HBO Max.   (You can argue semantics all you like, but even if Discovery is on basic cable, part of the basic cable bill goes to pay for Discovery).

I don't see much I want to see on Discovery+, but I would like to watch Battlebots: Bounty Hunter.  It would be nice to have access to that.

andyross
Silver Problem Solver

Remember that HBO is a premium network you pay extra for. It's no surprise HBOMax would be included. Discovery Networks are standard cable and you may not get all of their channels, depending on which package you have.

eastmoreland
Contributor

I did remember that.  In fact, I pointed it out.  I'm just saying that I DO pay for Discovery as part of my cable bill, and I'd hoped that, like HBO, they would make the plus version available to us.  They don't have to.  I don't think HBO has to give us subscribers HBO Max either.  But it makes me like HBO a lot more because they do give it to us.  It makes me like Discovery less because they don't.

jeguet
New Poster

Discovery Plus

Why will Discovery Plus be an extra charge as I have read?  You have raised my rate and removed benefits (Norton anti-Virus).  Shouldn't some additional value be provided to compensate your customers?  Please don't stop with just Discovery Plus as there are several others.

andyross
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Discovery Plus

Read the other thread. DIscovery Plus is a SEPARATE streaming service by Discovery Networks. Comcast has no control over it. They are NOT taking away any channels.

andyross
Silver Problem Solver

Do you like CBS less because you have to pay for CBS All Access (soon to be Paramount +.) Or how about Disney? You only get Peacock free because it's owned by Comcast.

tahoebob1
Regular Visitor

To recap, Discovery has channels on Xfinity, no changes are expected to these channels?

Discovery is launching a streaming app called Discovey plus.  Included,  or should include all thier discovery programs plus the new Maganolia network.   

Eventualy/most liklye an app will be included like all the other apps in the on demand section of xfinify.  Think of Netflix and HULU.  You would pay for access to this app which has nothign to do with Xfinity.  Yes some duplicaiton may exist, your choice to pay Discovery + and or complain to them.... 

The newDiscovey Plus straming service  is availble January 4th.  If you want  it ASAP there is nothing stopping you from accessing Discovery Plus on another medium on January 4th, then when it becomes availbe on Xfiniy just logon with your account you created.

Did I have it correct?

Thanks for the answers and patience with a few..:)

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

@tahoebob1
Exactly right and an excellent breakdown. The only thing that you may be mistaken about is including the whole Magnolia network, something totally different, but will have content included.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2020/tv/news/chip-and-joanna-gaines-disovery-plus-content-1...