Community Forum

Can't watch Tampa Bay Lightning

Frequent Visitor

Can't watch Tampa Bay Lightning

I can't seem to be able to watch Lightning games anymore on Fox Sports Sun channel 401 for me.   I still get channel 401 but there is always differnt programming on when the game is scheduled to start.  I had absolutly no problems watching the games on the same channel last season.

Now the strange part is that when I go to channel 401 on the xfinity stream app I can watch the game but the guide on the app does not show the game and matches my what my  tv says exactly.   

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Can't watch Tampa Bay Lightning

It most likely is some sort of blackout rule. The streaming service may not be properly configured, for now.

Regular Contributor

Do you get Fox Sports Florida? Can you see Panthers games on it? If you can, then somebody in the NHL decided that you now live in the Florida Panthers zone and not the Tampa Bay Lightning zone.

Also, do the listings for Fox Sports Sun say that they are showing Lightning games, or does it match the "alternate programming" that is on TV?

When a city gets two regional sports networks, there has to be an "alternate version" for teams that are in one zone but not the other. For example, in northern California, pretty much everybody gets both Fox Sports Bay Area (Giants baseball) and Fox Sports California (A's baseball, Sharks hockey), but since FSBA has Warriors basketball and FSC has Kings basketball, there are versions of FSBA without the Warriors (to air in the Kings zone) and FSC without the Kings (to air in the Warriors zone).

Frequent Visitor

I can't see Panthers games on Fox Sports Florida which is how it has always been. As for the listings,   the guide matches the "alternate programming" that I see on the Fox Sports Sun channel. 

Also the Lightning Vs Panther games were blacked out for me on NHL Center Ice as well.

Lightning games are however, watchable for me on The Fox Sports go app and website along with xfinity stream app even though the xfinity stream apps guide/listing has the "alternate programming" listed instead of the game.

Valued Contributor

@casco2828 wrote:

I can't see Panthers games on Fox Sports Florida which is how it has always been. As for the listings,   the guide matches the "alternate programming" that I see on the Fox Sports Sun channel. 

Also the Lightning Vs Panther games were blacked out for me on NHL Center Ice as well.

Lightning games are however, watchable for me on The Fox Sports go app and website along with xfinity stream app even though the xfinity stream apps guide/listing has the "alternate programming" listed instead of the game.

The next question is: Where do you live?

Frequent Visitor

Englewood, Florida       which is Comcast Cape Haze region if I remember correctly

New Poster

@casco2828 wrote:

Englewood, Florida       which is Comcast Cape Haze region if I remember correctly

would someone lplease get us an answer on why we can't watch games in englewood on fox

New Poster

I live in Port Charlotte (Deep Creek) and have always watched the Lightning on Fox Sports Sun, Channel 401....until this season.

I am able to stream the Fox Sports Sun TV Feed through the Fox Sports Go app, so I still get the broadcast of Rick Peckham and Brian Engblom (those guys are the best in the business)

In the past, I've seen the ads for the Fox Sports Go app, but whenever I tried to watch a game with it, I got a blackout message...but back then, I could watch it on Fox Sports Sun cable 401.

I heard one possible explanation is that because the Rays (who also televise their regular season games on Fox Sports Sun)  are still in the baseball playoff picture, Fox Sports Sun can't do the Lightning games here... yet... but they should start after the playoffs, or after the Rays are eliminated, whichever comes first.  I don't know if that's true or not, I never totally understood the blackout rules...

Fortunatley, I can hook my phone up to my TV and watch the Fox Sports Go stream in high-definition on my TV, so nothing's changed as far as being able to watch the Lightning.

I spoke to Xfinity customer service last Thursday evening... they told me that 401 is still Fox Sports Sun, but could not tell me why the Lightning were not on when they should have been.

I asked to have a supervisor call me back, and I got a call last night that I missed, but I'll try to call them back tonight... maybe I can get an explanation from them about what's going on with the Lightning games and Fox Sports Sun.

I'll keep digging and if I find out anything official I'll come back and post it here.  I'm hoping it's just a temprorary thing until the Rays season is over, but we'll see.

Frequent Visitor

There is a game tonight but I still don’t see it listed on the Fox Sports Sun channel. A soccer game is listed instead.
Frequent Visitor

I am in Port Charlotte also and have the same issue. 

Are you sure though it's not channel 402 that was Fox Sports Sun?

I noticed that the channel guide doesn't call it SUN anymore on 401 or 402 anymore as it's coming up as FSN on 401 and 402 as Fox Sports Florida. I actually then assumed SUN was no longer available here even as an add-on. 

It gets so confusing with the SD and HD numbers and multiple Fox channels.

Also, the only reason I am not so sure about the suggestion that it might be about the Rays is remember when there were 2 Rays games that were on at the same time as the Lightning game either last year or the year before and they were then shown on FS1 I believe instead of Fox Sports Sun. Couldn't they be just doing that now again for us?

Finally, I do remember 3 or 4 years ago that this same thing happened and after missing the first few games all of a sudden the programming changed and the Lightning were made available again.  I don't think the Rays were in the Playoffs then either of course.  

I just have my fingers crossed. My Dad is in his eightie's and so dissapointed he cant watch the games this year. He does not have a computer or cellphone  to watch on a  phone or online.

Frequent Visitor

@Dickie44 wrote:

I am in Port Charlotte also and have the same issue. 

Are you sure though it's not channel 402 that was Fox Sports Sun?

I noticed that the channel guide doesn't call it SUN anymore on 401 or 402 anymore as it's coming up as FSN on 401 and 402 as Fox Sports Florida. I actually then assumed SUN was no longer available here even as an add-on. 

It gets so confusing with the SD and HD numbers and multiple Fox channels.

Also, the only reason I am not so sure about the suggestion that it might be about the Rays is remember when there were 2 Rays games that were on at the same time as the Lightning game either last year or the year before and they were then shown on FS1 I believe instead of Fox Sports Sun. Couldn't they be just doing that now again for us?

Finally, I do remember 3 or 4 years ago that this same thing happened and after missing the first few games all of a sudden the programming changed and the Lightning were made available again.  I don't think the Rays were in the Playoffs then either of course.  

I just have my fingers crossed. My Dad is in his eightie's and so dissapointed he cant watch the games this year. He does not have a computer or cellphone  to watch on a  phone or online.

Sun   is/was channel 401 for me and I did notice it says something different now,  It did indeed use to say SUN but now it says 401 FSNNA.

I still also get Inside the Lightning on channel 401

Frequent Visitor

You are likely correct and Inside the Panthers is on 402

I called Fox Sports Florida/Sun and got an answering machine talking about how Dish has dropped them, blah, blah, blah... and then just leave a message.  No receptionist or anything...

I did email them though around lunch time wondering if they had any information on the issue and am yet to hear anything. I will report back if I do and appreciate your updates also if any.

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Just an update...

Last nights game as expected was still unavailable and Fox Sports Go showing of the game was unavailable for me due to blackout restrictions.

The channel guide for Saturday's game at 4pm does not show the game scheduled.  I have been checking to see if that has/will be updated. 

I have not received any feedback from Fox Sports Sun and my email to them either.

Valued Contributor

@casco2828 wrote:
There is a game tonight but I still don’t see it listed on the Fox Sports Sun channel. A soccer game is listed instead.

If you are getting a soccer game instead, it probably means Comcast is providing the FSS feed for southeast Florida, which includes Miami Heat games once their season starts.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the input. No, it's not a soccer game now or scheduled for Sat. at 4pm if that is what you meant but there are Miami Heat games scheduled at other times.  

I do believe it's the S.E. programming we are getting now. That's been our question if it will convert back to what we have had atleast the last 3 years during Lightning Season maybe now that the Rays are finished for the year. 

In an earlier post I mentioned that I remember getting the Heat games and then suddenly they converted back to the Lightning I believe 4 years ago. That's our hope still. 

Frequent Visitor

Just confirming that I heard back and we will NOT be getting the Lightning games in our market this year.  We have been aligned with South East Florida.  I have a map and maybe they do not. 

We are also not able to purchase  NHL Center Ice as an add-on to watch them as we are in the Lightning market and in the black out area.  That makes sense because of course we are in the Lightning market. It's a 75 minute drive from my house.

The Lightning post game shows will be available to us at 2:30am approximately 3 hours after the game ends each night. 

Frequent Visitor

@Dickie44 wrote:

Just confirming that I heard back and we will NOT be getting the Lightning games in our market this year.  We have been aligned with South East Florida.  I have a map and maybe they do not. 

We are also not able to purchase  NHL Center Ice as an add-on to watch them as we are in the Lightning market and in the black out area.  That makes sense because of course we are in the Lightning market. It's a 75 minute drive from my house.

The Lightning post game shows will be available to us at 2:30am approximately 3 hours after the game ends each night. 

Hmm well that's unfortunate.  I still have not heard back from anyone despite many phone calls,  at least they got back to someone. 

The xfinity stream app still had the game on channel 401 and I really hope they don't take that away either. 

New Poster

This is ridiculous.  We will probably lose the Rays next.  This area does not care about SE Florida!

Frequent Visitor

You know what is crazy for me? I could not get the game on 401 on Stream here in Port Charlotte either. You are fortunate you are getting that. It's likely in error.

This is atrocious regardless. I am disgusted with everyone. 

Frequent Visitor

Actually it doesn't make sense that you would get the Rays and NOT the Lightning when you think of it.  Same city give or take a bridge in St. Pete. 

NBA Miami Heat here? What a joke.

The Dolphins are tough enough to swallow locally week after week. Smiley Sad

Maybe there are more Heat fans here. Few on this forum seem to care the Bolts are gone...

Oh well. We'll really enjoy more so those NBCSN games now when we get them. Last night was great to see them on there.  We're downsizing Dad's Comcast plan if there is no game Thursday night on. Hit them in the pocket book I guess. In a VERY small way but it will feel a little better! Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Important Update...

The issue is with Comcast and they are aware of it. Zip Codes have been identified that should be getting the Lightning.

Please visit today's newspaper for additional information but it appears for those that will be a part of those zip codes (which they do not identify) we may see the games as early as Saturday Oct. 19th.