Community Forum

Altitude Sports

Regular Visitor

Re: Altitude Sports

Do not block altitude tv
New Poster

Re: Altitude

Please figure it out. Makes no sense to have all of these extra channels with these new smart TVs. I am very frustrated with our choices over local teams and considering dropping my entire subscription now. If the Nuggets are going to be broadcasted on the local tv channel, I definitely see no sense for any of your services. Avs are the best team in hockey and I can only listen to it on the radio.
Fix this fast.
Frequent Visitor

I wouldn't count on Nuggets games being broadcast OTA.  Sure, they are doing it for the home opener, but nothing planned beyond that.

Regular Visitor

Let's all be sure to write a nice thank you note to comacast for the generous $1.25 refund on the regional sports fee. What a slap in the face.

New Poster

It is outragious that we are being charged $8.00 per month for "regional sports".  You no langer carry most regional sports.  Time to remove the $8.00 fee or start to carry Altitude TV again.  The current status, since August 1st, is pure and simple customer rip off.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Altitude tv

If Atitude dosen't do something fast i don't think the player's are going to be tp happy either if they have altitude also.   Let's get something done now a lawsuit could mean more money for them than a station.

@Amerrycan wrote:
Do not block my hockey or Altitude. I will drop all tv and phone service if you do

New Poster

Send the CO AG a note and let them decide to go after Comcast.
New Poster

Yes! Send the CO AG a note and let them decide to go after Comcast.
Frequent Visitor

Look, I'm just as upset as anyone in here and I want the situation resolved.  I have no sympathy for comcast here and I do not believe for one second that they have their customers best interests at heart.

Having said that, some of the responses in here are absurd and they are not helping us make our case.

1.  There is no "breach of contract" when Comcast and other cable companies no longer carry a channel.  It's pretty standard in all of the cable companies contracts that content/channels can go away at any time and without warning.  Whether not this is fair from the get-go is debateable, but comcast did not "breach" any contract by not having a deal with Altitude.

2.  The Colorado AG is not going to care one whit about this situation. There's nothing that he can "go after".  It's perfectly legal  to not have a contract with a broadcaster and trying to prove collusion here is going to be very difficult.  Even if there was something to "go after" it'd be years before anything came of it.

Let's just argue the merits of this.  Whether or not it's legal, it's pretty unethical of Comcast to have charged regional sports fees without providing us access to most of THIS regions sports.  They made a decent PR move by "crediting" us on bills, but we have no idea what they normally pay Altitude per subscriber.  If it REALLY is $1.25 per customer.... this situation seems all the more silly.

Regular Contributor

@wayninja wrote:

They made a decent PR move by "crediting" us on bills, but we have no idea what they normally pay Altitude per subscriber.  If it REALLY is $1.25 per customer.... this situation seems all the more silly.

The problem may not be how much per customer, but how many customers would get the channel. For all we know, Altitude is demanding that Comcast make it available to everybody in Colorado (and maybe Wyoming, Montana, and a large part of Kansas as well - both Butte, Montana and Topeka, Kansas are in the Avalanche's zones) on even the lowest tier - and Comcast has to pay $1.25 a month per customer whether or not the customer will ever watch the channel.

If there were, say, 20 channels that, all of a sudden, demanded that they be included on every customer's service, and each charged 50 cents a month per customer, would you mind? Probably, when you realize you're now paying $10 per month more than you were for 20 channels you don't watch.

Regular Visitor

For those of us invested in a team like the avs, a $1.25 refund  is an unacceptable substitute.  

Frequent Visitor

@ThatDonGuy wrote:

@wayninja wrote:

They made a decent PR move by "crediting" us on bills, but we have no idea what they normally pay Altitude per subscriber.  If it REALLY is $1.25 per customer.... this situation seems all the more silly.

The problem may not be how much per customer, but how many customers would get the channel. For all we know, Altitude is demanding that Comcast make it available to everybody in Colorado (and maybe Wyoming, Montana, and a large part of Kansas as well - both Butte, Montana and Topeka, Kansas are in the Avalanche's zones) on even the lowest tier - and Comcast has to pay $1.25 a month per customer whether or not the customer will ever watch the channel.

If there were, say, 20 channels that, all of a sudden, demanded that they be included on every customer's service, and each charged 50 cents a month per customer, would you mind? Probably, when you realize you're now paying $10 per month more than you were for 20 channels you don't watch.

Altitude has been pretty public with what they are asking, for the most part.  They originally asked for a "moderate" carriage fee increase, but no change to distribution.

Then they offered to extend the current deal by 1 year and then go 5% after that.   So, this is effectively a continuation of something that we've all been paying for for 15 years.  As far as I know there is no demand to include more customers.  From what I've heard Comcast is the one demanding that Altitude go on higher tiers and recieve less distribution unles customers pay even more.  They also want to cut carriage fees by ~50%.

What exactly do you think comcast is currently refunding?

Frequent Visitor

@wayninja wrote:

Look, I'm just as upset as anyone in here and I want the situation resolved.  I have no sympathy for comcast here and I do not believe for one second that they have their customers best interests at heart.

Having said that, some of the responses in here are absurd and they are not helping us make our case.

1.  There is no "breach of contract" when Comcast and other cable companies no longer carry a channel.  It's pretty standard in all of the cable companies contracts that content/channels can go away at any time and without warning.  Whether not this is fair from the get-go is debateable, but comcast did not "breach" any contract by not having a deal with Altitude.

2.  The Colorado AG is not going to care one whit about this situation. There's nothing that he can "go after".  It's perfectly legal  to not have a contract with a broadcaster and trying to prove collusion here is going to be very difficult.  Even if there was something to "go after" it'd be years before anything came of it.

Let's just argue the merits of this.  Whether or not it's legal, it's pretty unethical of Comcast to have charged regional sports fees without providing us access to most of THIS regions sports.  They made a decent PR move by "crediting" us on bills, but we have no idea what they normally pay Altitude per subscriber.  If it REALLY is $1.25 per customer.... this situation seems all the more silly.

Any potential legal issues will come from the "Regional Sports Fee" that Comcast tacks on top of what they advertise as the price of their programming packages.   It's not that they simply dropped programming that people like.  It's that they charge everyone an additional fee for that programing and stopped providing it yet kept charging the additional fee.

The gave a $1.25 refund on that fee.  Are we to understand that AT&T Sportsnet is being subsidized by everyone every month for an additional $6.75?  On top of what people are already paying for their package?   Because that's the only other channel that carries any regional sports besides Altitude in Denver.  If that's the case it seems to me that Comcast decided to play hardball with the wrong network.  

What I really find odd is that Direct TV had no issues recently renewing a deal with AT&T Sportsnet.   I can't find the details anywhere but how much would you like to wager it was a deal closer to status quo for regional sports networks than what Altitude is being offered?  Of course, Direct TV owns that network.  Funny how that works.

The bottom line is that the carriers would like to pay less for sports programming and Comcast and Direct TV are punishing the fans of Denver by trying to make that happen by playing hardball with a smaller independant regional network rather than taking on the big boys.  There will eventually either be a deal made and it will be back or Altitude will get sold to Fox or someone similar because Kronke can't afford that to continue that network with the distribution it currently has.

Frequent Visitor

These comments keep going around and nothing is being done.  I'm tired of waiting  I want anwser for comcast and Altitude they know that we have a contract that can't

be broken their just waiting for us to cancel and they won't have the problem.I want anwsers.  Don't block my Nugets.  we need to catch Altitudes eye so they will do something.

@Comcast_Support wrote:

Hi Amerrycan, thank you for your feedback regarding Altitude TV. We regularly examine our channel lineups and talk with a wide range of programmers to ensure that we are bringing the content that our customers want the most. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking time to reach out to us.

Regular Visitor

Re: Don't block my Altitude TV

No, it does NOT help.  Tell the management to stop playing hardball and sign the contract with Altitude to broadcast the Nuggets once again.  And please stop the fiction of giving customers what they want when you clearly are not doing so!

New Poster

I'm an Xfinity/Comcast customer with 2 yrs left on contract. What are my options to get out of that???

Regular Visitor

If it’s an actual contract, you may be out of luck. Many are just pricing agreements that last a certain period of time, ie 2 years. I would be really curious to know how many customers this has cost them so far. I am in the process of weighing my options and leaving soon. Once I have my mind set, I will not come back. Their time is definitely running out!

Interestingly, I called to cancel my “local sports programming”, since I am getting nothing I watch for my $8 fee. I was told it was part of my package and could not be removed. Obviously Comcast recognizes they aren’t providing what we are paying for and they trying to appease us by refunding $1.25. To me, this isn’t satisfactory and I would try to attack that if you are in an actual contract. Good luck!
New Poster

Altitude Sports

When will the corporate greed stop so that we can get back to watching our beloved, local sports teams (CO Avalanche, Denver Nuggets, Mammoth and Rapids) on Altitude Sports via Comcast? This is within your control.

New Poster

Altitude Sports in Colorado

Comcast/Xfinity's decision not to carry Altitude network in Colorado is so frustrating. Giving us a credit of $1.25 is pitiful compensation when we have two major sports teams (basketball and hockey) that are playoff caliber teams. I am going to seriously consider switching cable services if the contract dispute isn't resolved soon. It's very transparent that Comcast is trying to strong arm competition, when they continue to carry the regional comcast sports channels in other markets. 

New Poster

Altitude

Please quit ripping off your customers by charging regional Sports fees for Sports Channels you refuse to carry. Pay Altitude what they ask for, or at least offer the same deal as you give the Rockies. I want my Altitude Sports !!!!
New Poster

Please bring back Altitude or I am taking my $300/mo Acct elsewhere. Rediculous!

Tim M
Regular Visitor

PLEASE DO NOT BRING BACK ALTITUDE SPORTS.

I have been an XFinity customer for a long time.  I do not watch the Avs or the Nuggets, because I'm originally from California and I would rather watch my hometown teams using NHL Center Ice and NBA League Pass. It is my understanding that my bill will decrease if and when Altitude Sports is not carried by Comcast, and I cannot wait until that day when I will not be forced to pay for channels that I avoid like the plague.

Altitude Sports should get with the times and create their own streaming channel for the 12 fans who actually want to watch their Denver teams. Let those bandwagon fans pay for the service, without requiring everyone else to donate to their fanhood charity.

- OR -

Those teams should get rid of Stan Kroenke's Altitude Sports and form a new partnership with FOX Sports like most other cities do.

Goodbye Altitude Sports!

Aaron D from Colorado Springs

Regular Visitor

Re: Altitude Sports in Colorado

@Coloradofan I appreciate that refund each month. 

Regular Visitor

@DenverRESource Not everyone in Colorado is in love with the Avs, Nuggets, Rapids, and Mammoth. Especially the Mammoth.

Regular Visitor

@bl01jn98 Why would the players have Altitude? That's really dumb. To watch themselves? To see what stupid comments the color commentators have about their game?

Regular Visitor

Re: Get altitude back

@Mamaspindle1 

If the only reason you have Comcast is so that you can watch the Avs and Nuggets, then why not push them into creating ther own streaming channel so you can fully cut cable???

Frequent Visitor

@adevandry wrote:

@Mamaspindle1 

If the only reason you have Comcast is so that you can watch the Avs and Nuggets, then why not push them into creating ther own streaming channel so you can fully cut cable???

A.  The NHL and The NBA aren't going to let them stream the games.  They have national TV and streaming contracts to protect.

B.  Not enough people stream to make the a viable solution for a sports network right now.  Not as a standalone entity.

C.  Heavy streaming on Comcast can end up being more expensive than the highest tier cable package thanks to the 1 TB download cap.

Regular Visitor

Great that you don’t like our Colorado teams...and none of us care. This is obviously for the way more than 12 people who feel they are being wronged by being forced to pay a regional sports programming fee while not receiving any benefit...much like you. You are free to leave if that’s your only way around it, just as the many of us are contemplating doing. With all of us leaving, they’ll definitely look to recoup profits somewhere...have fun with that one.
Frequent Visitor

/they want the fans to watch thats why it might matter.   Opionons of other calling the fans names is not helping.

@adevandry wrote:

@bl01jn98 Why would the players have Altitude? That's really dumb. To watch themselves? To see what stupid comments the color commentators have about their game?

New Poster

I am really starting to hate comcast.  I can't believe they're going to ruin the season for a state full of Nuggets fans.

New Poster

I’m actively researching the best alternative to Comcast, largely due to lack of Nuggets coverage. Stupid business decision.
New Poster

So you decided to credit our accounts $1.25 last month for dropping AltitudeTV .Today I received my new bill and the $8 regional fee is back on but still no AltitudeTV . Are you kidding me! What a scam!! Get this channel back on now!!!
New Poster

Comcast continues to charge me $8.00 per month for regional sports programming, but you are no longer deliverying Altitude Sports, so I will discontinue my regional sports programming package. Please refund $8.00 per month for as long as Comcast and Altitude Sports cannot agree on a contract.

Regular Visitor

I agree entirely and have contacted Comcast about that. It is a joke! They will not remove that charge, just like they won’t remove the local programming charge. They claim they are a part of our package that we can’t remove. If that’s the case, why aren’t they part of the package? Why are they charged as additional items? Just another way to fluff up our bills that most of us would otherwise not complain about. Unfortunately for Comcast, we are all becoming wise to this and nearing the point of lost patience!
New Poster

I pay $200 for the NBA League Pass and I STILL can't watch my home team, the Denver Nuggets. 

Your canned answer about evaluating what customers want most won't fool anyone.  Denver is a sports town and you are denying the entire city of fans the ability to watch two of it's teams. 

Please bring back Altitude.  Or at the very least let League Pass subscribers watch it. 

New Poster

It is obvious that Xfinity, Comcast and Directv are conspiring to make Altitude settle for less. I think if we all dump those providers their light might come on. I am sick of Xfinity anyway. I watch maybe 6 total channels of all the dumb ones they have on so dumping them wouldnt bother me too much.
Frequent Visitor

Leaque Pass won't even show the Nuggets because of the blackout that stinks.    Xfinity isn't as great as they say now.

@AvsFan-95 wrote:
It is unfortunate. The big three won’t extend the same operating options to Altitude as their internally owned networks. If this deal falls, Altitude may cease to exist. The terms and costs Comcast are demanding are beyond what the network can sustain.

Big greed.

Just play fair. Altitude isnt asking for anything not already offered to other company operated networks.

Regular Visitor

I agree that Comcast has broken the agreement I signed up for. I keep hearing that Comcast believes that there are not that many of us who love to watch Altitude and are upset. I hope we can prove them wrong, but they won't change their unfair stance. With all the "Big 3" proposing the same nonsense that has kept Altitude off the air, this sounds like a Conspiracy. Isn't the FCC supposed to investigate Conspirarcies or Monopolies that prevent a network from being shown on these providers due to unfair trade practices?

New Poster

Regional sports channel

I am upset because we have watched the Denver Nuggets for many years. They have blacked it out because they could not reached an agreement. The kicker is that they are still charging $8 fee for the sports channel and will not take it off.
New Poster

Bring Altitude back. For the price I pay this is ridiculous and in violation of my agreement
New Poster

Altitude Sports

I pay 200 a month. I want to watch my Nuggets and Avs. I don’t care how you do it but as a customer I want my programming that I pay for. I am seriously considering canceling my service in direct protest to this action. I ask my other fans in the Denver Metro area to make a stand as well.

Regular Visitor

@Grundeg 

I disagree. I stream EVERYTHING. My family uses YoutubeTV, Amazon Prime, Google Play Movies, and we stream on 5 devices, daily. We have not even gotten to half of the 1TB limit and tomorrow is the last day of the month.

The NHL and NBA cannot stop Altitude from streaming games. Altitude signed a deal with them, and Altitude can broadcast the games however it prefers, whether it creates a streaming channel or not.

Rather than make excuses that not enough people stream, Altitude should make their own streaming channel and cut out the middleman/men (Comcast, DirecTV, and Dish). Just read all of the Comcast subscribers threatening to cancel their xfinity accounts if the Avs/Nuggets aren't broadcast. Clearly there is a market for a streaming channel. A Roku/Fire Stick can easily stream the games, so there would be no excuses by fans.

Frequent Visitor

@adevandry wrote:

@Grundeg 

I disagree. I stream EVERYTHING. My family uses YoutubeTV, Amazon Prime, Google Play Movies, and we stream on 5 devices, daily. We have not even gotten to half of the 1TB limit and tomorrow is the last day of the month.

The NHL and NBA cannot stop Altitude from streaming games. Altitude signed a deal with them, and Altitude can broadcast the games however it prefers, whether it creates a streaming channel or not.

Rather than make excuses that not enough people stream, Altitude should make their own streaming channel and cut out the middleman/men (Comcast, DirecTV, and Dish). Just read all of the Comcast subscribers threatening to cancel their xfinity accounts if the Avs/Nuggets aren't broadcast. Clearly there is a market for a streaming channel. A Roku/Fire Stick can easily stream the games, so there would be no excuses by fans.

You don't go over the cap so nobody does?  While I've personally never gone over the cap there have been months where it's been close.  My buddy routinely goes to 2 TB with his family of 4.  

The NHL and NBA can certainly stop Altitude from streaming games.  Local broadcast rights are just that, local.  Atlitude can't braodcast it's games in New York for example.  That's easy to control over TV and radio.  Not quite so easy with streaming.  After all, it's easy enough right now to watch the games on stream if you really want to, whether that be through the league passes with a vpn or simply visiting reddit.

If streaming alone were viable for broadcasting sports some team somewhere would have made that jump by now.  The fact that not a single team in any of the major sports has done so seems to disprove your theory.  Perhaps that's because it's used as much as a marketing tool as it is a source of revenue.  Without a large enough market share it's not a viable solution.   Getting new fans is a little more difficult when they have to sign up for a streaming service to watch a game than it is when they can just change the channel.   That's not taking into account the large number of people who don't even know what streaming is and those that have no interest in doing so.

Valued Contributor
Frequent Visitor

@studolgon wrote:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/31/altitude-sports-reaches-deal-with-directv/

Wouldn't be surprised if it's back on Comcast shortly too seeing the Colorado Attorney General is looking at them over the regional sports fees now.

I'm giving Comcast a week before I switch.

New Poster

Looks like I am quitting Comcast tomorrow
Regular Contributor

@Grundeg wrote:

@studolgon wrote:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/31/altitude-sports-reaches-deal-with-directv/

Wouldn't be surprised if it's back on Comcast shortly too seeing the Colorado Attorney General is looking at them over the regional sports fees now.

@Grundeg How many deadlines do you give? It's people like you with no backbone is the reason Comcast can do what it likes with no fear of repercussion. A month ago you gave them a deadline, laughable. Direct TV made a deal, where's your cancellation notice? Just like everyone else on this thread all talk, no action

Grundeg Frequent Visitor
‎09-23-2019 12:46 AM
@Comcast_Support wrote:

Every contract includes a certain package of channels and services at a fixed price for the stated period of time. But during the term of the contract, specific channels may be added, changed, or removed for a variety of reasons, including the launch of popular new channels or changes in the popularity of existing channels. In this case, we removed Altitude from your programming package, because we no longer have permission from Altitude to carry it. While this change won’t cause prices to go down on existing packages, it will help reduce the speed at which they go up. The cost of programming generally continues to rise, which affects customers’ bills. In fact, our programming costs have more than doubled since 2006. We absorb a large portion of these cost increases and are doing our best to manage them while delivering additional value to you

That's an interesting paragraph there. I'd like to point out there is a difference between dropping say MTV or The History Channel and Atlitude. Everyone's bill has an $8.00 charge specifically for "regional sports fee". There is no "music fee" or "comedy fee" or anything else of the sort. The only comparable channels are HBO/Showtime/Starz etc. If you discountinued half of those channels would you expect people to still pay the same amount?

The result of your dispute is that we are now being charged that extra $8.00 a month for less than half of the regional sports coverage we had been getting in the Denver area. Sports are the driving factor behind having my TV package.

If prices go up, so be it. Prices tend to do that over time. Giving us less programming and saving up for when your AT&T contract comes up isn't much of an answer.

If Altitude isn't back on the air by when the puck drops for the first Avalance game I'll continue to be a cable customer until the moment Direct TV or DISH decide to work out a deal and not a day longer.

Frequent Visitor

@Wolverine062 wrote:

@Grundeg wrote:

@studolgon wrote:

@Grundeg How many deadlines do you give? It's people like you with no backbone is the reason Comcast can do what it likes with no fear of repercussion. A month ago you gave them a deadline, laughable. Direct TV made a deal, where's your cancellation notice? Just like everyone else on this thread all talk, no action

The earliest Direct TV willl schedule to install for me is Nov 11th according to the CenturyLink website.  I'm willing to give Comcast an additional week that I'd likely have end up paying for anyway to avoid the hassle of 2 providers, installation and having what I feel is an inferior overall TV product.   Thanks for being so interested in my decisions though.

New Poster

I agree!  I watch Altitude TV at least 60% of the time during hockey and basketball season.  I enjoy the 360 shows among other programming.  A $1.25 refund out of my $200 bill is a slap in the face!  Shame on you Comcast! I just found out DirectTV has come to an agreement with Altitude.  I will be saying goodbye to Comcast.

Regular Visitor

Sure you will.