Community Forum

Charged rent for a modem I dont have

mudflappery
New Poster

Charged rent for a modem I dont have

At the end of 2018 (around December) I purchased my own modem and WiFi router, and returned the ones I had been renting from Comcast. At the beginning of last month (January 2021), I got a wild hair and decided to actually look at my bill. I found I had been assessed a fee to rent a modem. I checked, and the charge was on every bill I could look up (going back as far as the system would allow ~1.5 years). I called customer support, explained the situation, and explained I felt I was due a refund for the modem rentals I had been incorrectly charged. The customer support associate said a ticket was started and I should hear back soon.

Four days later the internet stopped working. I checked everything was normal on my end and called comcast. The system had suddenly noticed I was not using the comcast modem, and cut off service. I had my modem added to my account, and things started working again. I cant help but feel this was a form of retaliation on Comcast's part, but not the point of this post. During the call, I inquired about my refund request, and was told I should have a response by Jan 26.

I hadn't heard anything since then and called customer support this evening (2/4/21). I explained the situation to customer support, who said my issue had supposedly been resolved, by removing the modem from my account and refunding a months rental fee. I explained that that was not the issue, the years of incorrect fees was what I wanted looked into. I was told that would require another ticket, and I requested I be moved up the chain of command, since clearly I was not getting my issue addressed through the standard issue reporting system. I was put on hold, and after 20 minutes, was hung up on.

To say I am utterly disgusted with the quality of service I have received is an understatement. Who do I need to talk to to get my problem addressed by someone with enough pull to actually do anything, or at the very least to get the ball started? I recognize I should have paid more attention to the bills. Moving forward, I will do just that. But I need to be made whole, and there seems to be no recourse for me doing that.
ComcastRob
Official Employee

Re: Charged rent for a modem I dont have

@mudflappery

Hi there! I truly apologize your experience was less than satisfactory. I'd be glad to ensure that this gets looked into further. Please click on my handle (ComcastRob) and send a private message with your name, the complete service address (including city, state, ZIP, suite number, etc), and the phone or account number, and any pertinent details-- like the ticket number(s)-- so we can help. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!