Barmar's profile

Gold Problem Solver

• 

15.9K Messages

Friday, May 12th, 2023 6:52 PM

Closed

Xfinity hotspot shows Cox Wifi login

Every few months, one of the xfinitywifi public hotpots that I use on a regular basis won't let me connect. My tablet says it requires a login, and when I go to the login page it shows a Cox Wifi login page instead of Xfinity login. Why does this happen? Is Cox spoofing the xfinitywifi SSID? It also happens if I try to use the CableWifi network.

I can work around this by using my iPhone's cellular hotspot, but this uses cellular data and isn't as convenient.

Today it happened, but less than an hour later the problem cleared up and my tablet connected.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

@Barmar 

It is possible the Comcast hotspot was removed. Cox may a set up one in your area. There is also the possibility someone hacked the hotspot and changed id.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

15.9K Messages

@MNtundraRET​ If it was removed, why does the problem clear up by the next time I go to that restaurant? This isn't a one-time occurrence, it happens intermittently with a few different hotspots, and always clears up.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

15.9K Messages

1 year ago

I've attached a screenshot of the hotspot sign-in screen. Notice that it says it's xfinitywifi and has an xfinity.com URL, but it has the Cox logo. This same hotspot worked on Friday, it's one of the ones that occasionally switches like this.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here