ThorrsHammer's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, June 27th, 2024 11:17 AM

Xfinity app and gateway installation

It seems the tech geniuses at Xfinity have made it mandatory to use the Xfinity app to activate a new XFi modem/router. The last time I installed a new modem, there was an installation instruction card, and simply plugging it in and attaching the coax and ethernet cables led to the online activation screen. The problem with the current activation is, the Xfinity app requires iOS 16 or higher, but the iPhone 7 is limited to iOS 15.8. So, we can't install the app, and so we can't activate the modem. This is the most ridiculous hoop that Xfinity has made me try to jump through so far. If there's no way to activate without the app, the new modem is useless to me and will be returned.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 months ago

Try calling 1-855-652-3446. That is their self-install device activation line.

If that doesn't work for you, you can call 1-800-comcast and tell a rep that you would like to have a new modem provisioned for service. Have the RF / CM / HFC MAC address and the serial number of it handy when you call.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@EG​ Thanks very much for your time, and for voluntarily doing the job Comcast/Xfinity employees should be doing, but I have to ask why every single response on any page on the website asking about self-installation, demands instead that you get the app. In any case, there should be an alternative, online method of activating the gateway available, for those folks who haven't yet forked out the cash for an

In any case, I recently changed phones, got the app and installed the gateway. So I should be good for the next gateway upgrade in 2032. Just hoping I don't need to get a retinal scan and use telekinesis to get service. Thanks again for your help.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

3 months ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to Xfinity Support here on our Community Forum @ThorrsHammer!  We are so glad to hear from you and want to help in any way that we can to address your service concerns.  No worries!  You have reached out to the right team to get things squared away.  So that we can get started, please feel free to shoot us a private message, and we can get started.  

To send a "direct message" / "private message" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@XfinityArmand​ Thanks but no thanks. I'm not going through a 12-Step program to get help, when a button and text box on the installation page would work. You have the problem outlined above, and EG helped me most. Not your solution, I know, and you're just passing along the steps, so nothing personal.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 months ago

@ThorrsHammer 

Have you had a chance to try those options ?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here