madbrain76's profile

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

Saturday, December 10th, 2022 6:08 AM

Closed

XB7 - XFINITYWIFI interferring with my Unifi access points - cannot find a way to disable . HELP !

I using the XB7 as a modem & wired router, but not for Wifi. I have Wifi disabled for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands in the router configuration at https://myrouter.io .

Nevertheless, the modem still broadcasts a Wifi network on XFINITYWIFI and XFINITY SSIDs. I know my XB7 is broadcasting it because the connection from my smartphone to XFINITYWIFI cuts off when I power off my XB7.

The problem is that my 5 Unifi NanoHD meshed access points setup on VHT160 are picking this up as interference, and either keep switching channels, or I get greatly reduced bandwidth from my clients.

I have looked at the instructions at https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot .

First, I logged in to https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security/hotspot .

I received the error : "We are having trouble accessing this data. Please try again later."

Second, I installed the Xfinity app on my Android phone (S22 Ultra).

I logged in and went to the "Connect" tab at the bottom.

I am unable to proceed with step 4 "See network".

The "See network" option just does not appear in the app.

This is the screen I actually see :

If I click "Xfinity Wifi hotspots", it shows a map of my neighborhood. My home is not shown as being a Wifi hotspot on the map, yet the XB7 is most definitely broadcasting XFINITY and XFINITYWIFI.

How can I stop the XB7 from doing so ? Please help. This is really messing up with my access points.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

1 year ago

You can't.  There's also another radio to you have no control over on their equipment for their home security systems too.  If you get a WiFi scanner like Acrylic home Wifi (free), or use iwlist with linux, you can see active radios broadcasting around you at your location, hidden or not.

You also can't change radio WiFi channels, power or bandwidth on Xfinity crippleware.

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@flatlander3​ I certainly used to be able to disable it . This xfinitywifi network has been showing up recently, I would say in the past few months.

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@flatlander3​ Thanks. The FCC document below there are Wifi antennas as well as a Zigbee antenna.

https://fccid.io/UIDTG4482/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-4676956.pdf

Maybe the way to deal with this is to disconnect them all.

[Edited: 'Language"]. 

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

The other radio for their home security is still active no matter what you do.  You are also paying $14/month for an intentional radiator that isn't doing anything for you, or worse, interfering with your other gear.

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@flatlander3​ What other choice do I have if I want to be on the unlimited data plan ?

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

I would try lowering the bandwidth setting on the mesh access points until the interference is maybe manageable, when it comes to bandwidth more isn’t necessary better…

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@Jlavaseur​ More bandwidth really is better when you are doing backups over WLAN of tens to hundreds of gigabytes from one PC to a NAS, as I am. My backups are now taking longer because of the interference from xfinitywifi . Much more bothersome is that when an uplink AP changes channel, the downlink APs have to search for their uplink, and the network goes down temporarily on all devices attached to them (this includes non-Wifi Ethernet devices), causing a multitude of headaches.

I really need to be able to disable xfinitywifi, as used to be possible.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

I would normally agree if it worked right, but you indicate that it doesn't, since you cant change the settings on the Xb7, that leaves the access points for fine tuning in my opinion, Plus the 'hotspots' are used for the Xfinity Mobile  cell service, so i am thinking that's probably why they are difficult if not impossible to disable...

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@Jlavaseur​ It may be impossible in the firmware, but surely there are some Wifi antennas inside the device that can be disconnected to stop this madness.

Looks like the following document may be helpful.

https://fccid.io/UIDTG4482/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-4676956.pdf

(edited)

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

1 year ago

Clearly you are a techie, so why are you using the Xfinity modem?  Is there some compelling reason that you need some features that only it has?  Seems like in the past you could turn it off but with Xfinity in control you are only one SW download from it changing yet again.  I wouldn't trust it short of having a broad band spectrum analyzer used routinely.

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@justsam​ 

That's an excellent question.

There are several reasons.

1) the "unlimited data" package is only available if I use the XB7 hardware

2) there have been line problems in my area multiple times, and when I used to own my modem (Arris or Motorola), Comcast always blamed my modem. It wasn't until I started using their own modem that they started fixing their lines. Supposedly they say this is because they can get the statistics from their own modems, but not from third party modems.

That makes the argument for using the XB7 (or XB8) as a modem, not necessarily as a router.

I could use it in bridge mode with a separate router. The reasons I don't are 3 fold :

a) I haven't found a separate commercial router that is completely silent (fanless design) that can handle 2.5 Gbps on both the wired LAN and wired WAN sides . All my networking hardware in my office is completely , silent/fanless, including 10 Gig stuff, and this is very important. Slience is a non-negotiable feature for me. It may be possible to build such a silent router from parts. I would prefer not to be the first to do so.

b) even if I manage to find/build such a standalone router, it's not a given that the XB7 in bridge mode will stop broadcasting xfinitywifi/xfinity wifi networks. It could still act as its own VPN router for these networks. This is a simple test though, which I haven't tried yet. Switching to bridge mode even as a test means killing the entire home network momentarily, and that is disruptive.

c) as far as spectrum analyzer, as far as Wifi frequencies, there are some you can run on a smartphone (and probably on a PC too, but I don't own a laptop nor do I have a Wifi NIC for any desktop).  It will not show other frequencies of course, such as GSM/LTE/2G/3G/4G/5G or anything else Comcast might have chosen to broadcast in their firmware.

Anyway, this is all ridiculous. This hotspot stuff should be either opt-in, or at the very least opt-out. Having no way of turning it off is unacceptable. If there is really is no way, I think this may be a case I need to file with the FCC.  In the meantime, I'm going to try to experiment with putting the XB7 in a Faraday cage to stop this nonsense.

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@madbrain76​ Faraday cage idea didn't work. It made the XB7 overheat. It wasn't completely sealed due to the Ethernet cables going to the router. I guess the XB7 wifi and Zigbee antennas need to be disconnected.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

1 year ago

... What other choice do I have if I want to be on the unlimited data plan ?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/exp-unlimited-data says:

... there are two ways you can get unlimited data from Xfinity. ...

Option 1: You can purchase the Unlimited Data Option. ...  [$30/mo]

Option 2: Customers who lease an xFi Gateway can add xFi Complete, which includes unlimited internet data. ...  [$20 or $25/mo]

Prices from https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/xfi-complete.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@BruceW​ Thank you. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have had cable line issues before. Comcast always blamed my 3rd party modem. They only started taking my complaints seriously and fixing the lines after I rented their cable modem (first XB6, then XB7 now). They have offered to send me an XB8, but said there is a shortage, and I may receive another XB7 instead.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

@madbrain76  I ordered my Xfi complete package thru the Xfi app, I checked I would pick it up at the store, it said it would be ready in a hour, it comes with the Xb8, have it activated at the store and you have full access to the admin panel…

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@Jlavaseur​ I just checked in the app. I am apparently on something called "Gigabit extra 1200 Mbps". I swiped through all the possible Internet plans and did not see xFi complete as an Internet option.  There are a few slower plans.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

@madbrain76  That’s the plan I am on also, but I had the option to add Xfi complete for $20 extra, it’s not easy to find, maybe it’s not available in your area I don’t know, but it comes with the Xb8 and unlimited data..plus alit of extras… 

So i am not really a windows guy, but i noticed on win 11 on my 10 year old computer, if i connect WiFi and Ethernet simultaneously the download speed jumps up, like some kind of bonding thing, even tho the negotiated link speed of each adapter is roughly 1000 Mbps, when i do a speed test it tops out approximately 1400 Mbps, this is with the default settings on the xb8... Its the same with Linux, maybe the xb8 is better then i thought with managed settings....

(edited)

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@Jlavaseur

Speedtest uses multiple streams. So perhaps indeed with 2 NICs some streams are going to one NIC, and some to the other, if you are connected to both. Interesting that Win11 can do that. I'm still on Win1.

My LAN networking infrastructure is 10GBASE-T. The desktop I'm typing on has an AQC-107 NIC. It's connected to a 10gig switch, a TP-Link TL-SX105 . The XB7 cable modem/router is connected to that switch as well, with the 2.5 Gig port going into it. Using speedtest, I usually get 1400 Mbps in speedtest download speed from my desktop, and 40 Mbps up. Looks like I'm only getting 1071 right now, but this must be peak hours for Comcast - people getting home right now close to 6pm.

I have a NAS on my LAN, also connected with an AQC-107 NIC.

Transfer speeds are near line speed in both directions, even with a single stream.

The desktop doesn't have a wireless NIC. The main high-speed wireless devices we own are Samsung - my S22 Ultra, husband's Note 20 Ultra, and a Tab S7+ tablet.

If you can, what screen did you find the option in the xFi app ? Are you getting the 200 Mbps upload speeds yet ? That would make a lot more sense than the 35 Mbps they advertise. Still too slow for cloud backups of multiple TB of data, they need to get Gigabit+ upload speeds for that. I get about 4.5 Gbps average from my desktop to my LAN for a full backup of 9TB SSD onto 112TB NAS. I don't hit 9Gbps+ for backups because the platters on the 8 WD 14TB hard disks (Easystore shucks) are too slow to hit 10 Gbps in a ZFS RAID-Z2 configuration. This is probably due to seek access times. Large SATA SSDs are starting to come down nicely in price, though. I haven't seen any in 14TB size yet, but saw a 4TB SSD advertised for $238 yesterday. This is getting within striking distance of hard drive territory price per TB, only about 3-4x, vs 15-20x in the past. I can't find any 8-16TB SSD with the same price per TB yet, though.

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@Jlavaseur​ I just checked the PDF statement, and I do see xFi complete on it already. I know Comcast CSRs have given me the option to get an XB8 over the phone, but they couldn't guarantee I would get one, either shipped or in the store. I don't see how to order the XB8 in the app and reserve it in store. Did you do it through the assistant ?

Are you getting higher upload speeds from it (200 Mbps) ? It looks like this is only for the Northeast so far :

https://www.telecompetitor.com/comcast-offers-more-details-on-2-gbps-plans-increases-speeds-nationwide/

Do the higher upload speeds require the XB8, or would they work with the XB7 ? They are both DOCSIS 3.1 AFAIK.

Getting full admin access is important also, but maybe I can get it with another XB7.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

I did nothing over the phone, when I ordered Xfi complete, I had no other option but to get the Xb8, no assistant either, I don’t have the 200 upload yet but I am in the northeast, i went to the store to be certain I got a Xb8, I read conflicting reports on the Xb7 vs xb8, here is a good read

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/superfast-plan-100200mbps-upload-speeds/638ad466ea8644103395026e 

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@Jlavaseur​ Thanks. So all I have to do is go to the store and ask for an XB8 ? And then what do I need to do to make sure I get admin access on it ?

Any tip about saving all my DHCP reservations ? I have a list in a spreadsheet, but it's a huge PITA to re-enter them all.

There really should be some sort of standard exchange file format for this sort of thing.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

@madbrain76  well you either have the store activate it or over the phone, if you use the app to activate it, it will be grayed out, that being said, if you use the app, it should transfer all your settings over, at least with the Xb7 it did, it specifically asked me, so I think you have a choice to make…

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@Jlavaseur​ I definitely want the control over whether to use 80 or 160 or especially 0 MHz for the Wifi. If I do it in store/phone and get control, can I stop the XB8 from broadcasting xfinitywifi/xfi ?

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

@madbrain76  Well after experimenting some, if you set the 5g band to 160, you sometimes can, sometimes can’t, but it will shortly turn grayed out and I think it defaults to 20, because your speed will drop below 300, then you have to play with it to get the speed back, I found the default settings work best… I don’t know about the hotspots, I am researching a few things

(edited)

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@Jlavaseur​ Thanks. At this point I'm using Unifi APs for my Wifi. I don't want to use the built-in one from the XB7. You can easily check if xfinitywifi is broadcasting in any Wifi client device by scanning SSIDs. So far I can't find a way to disable it. That's the main subject of this thread.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

@madbrain76  Sorry I got off topic, but I have connected to 3 plus hotspots simultaneously before, not including mine, just for redundancy, so depends on your environment…

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@Jlavaseur​ In my environment in the hills, there are no other Wifi hotspots within wireless range. If I power off my XB7, xfinitywifi / xfinity networks disappear altogether. I'd like that to be permanent.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

So I drove around my city and guess what? Every hotspot had the exact same ip address and router configuration, no wonder they keep the dns locked down…

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@Jlavaseur​ Did you ever find out if you can disable the xfinitywifi/xfinity SSIDs on your own XB8 ?

Contributor

• 

92 Messages

1 year ago

I have a very similar post myself from a couple of days ago - I am quite sure this was not an issue with my previous XB3 gateway. There definitely needs to be a way to disable this!

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

@madbrain76  Yes, it says I can, I tried it, it said it could take 24 hours, but every Xfinity hotspot in my city has the same ip address and same router details, so with them locking down the dns, I have some suspicions/theories I am going to explore/reseach

https://www.snbforums.com/ This is a very informative website, with some very advanced gurus, it might serve you well to take a look, if you haven’t viewed it already..

(edited)

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

@Jlavaseur​ If you need to check whether your XB8 is broadcasting Wifi, you can simply look at the number of bars - signal strength. Connect to xfinitywifi with a phone very close to your XB8 - you would have 5 bars if it's broadcasting. And less than 5 if you are connected to another Comcast router.

You can also use signal strength checker apps that were mentioned upthread.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

@madbrain76  I live in a row house, my next door neighbor has it enabled, but I know how to check, I just seen your other reply about the dual network cards with increased speeds, I am not so sure it’s not the Xb8 itself doing some type bonding etc, because it does it in Linux also, just kinda odd I haven’t put my finger on…

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here