oldmanriver1's profile

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

XB7 vs XB6 initial performance disappointment

My wired download speed on the XB6 was over 1100 Mbps. The wired speed on the new XB7 caps out at 950 Mbps.
Is this modem relatively deficient, or has the overhead cushion on my gigabit service been eliminated?
The wireless speeds are also not as robust throughout the house as the service I enjoyed with the XB6, either.
But that could also be a function of skimping provisioning.
Bottom line, this new piece of hardware has not created a good impression, and it certainly has not lived up to its marketing hype so far.
I have already wasted over an hour with clueless, unempowered chat agents trying to get my previous overhead provisioning restored.
Any suggested solutions or help would be appreciated.
Should I really be content with lesser performance from the new gear?
I think not.
Perhaps I should keep the XB6 and return the XB7?

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

3 years ago

adammusic22 - ya lost me with the pop stuff!! But my 2.4 shows channels 1 through 14, suggests 12,13,14 are better and I manually selected ch 1 awhile back. Who knows how xfinity allows the auto select to work. I have an app, wifi analyzer, and it shows the channel usage and makes the suggestion. I would think the auto upnp would work right, don't know and your change has the light working. I don't know about the client stuff, sorry but maybe someone will chime in..

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

3 years ago

nyc_hdl - I'm not familiar with Port forwarding but do get miffed with these worthless apps from xfinity to lock us out. It was so easy and straight forward when we could just sign in to the modem and change what we want. But I suggest the xb7 is not the quality of the xb6, and the apps lock out too much, and the techs, some are head strong and talk down to me, some are so wanting to help, and are positive they fixed it, or will forward it to a supervisor - and it goes to the Phillipines twilight zone. Good luck, but I see the xb6 as a stronger wifi, the xb7 wifi6 worthless and weaker 5 and 2.4 signals, and the lock us out xfinity apps- not useful for me either.

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

3 years ago

fromjusttheking - congrats on getting comcast to run your group cable, I would never imagine that happening. I've heard of bridging working better also but don't want to drop the coin to experiment. You say your test is 960 down, ethernet to xb6 or wireless? My wireless on xb6 or xb7 to s10+ have always dropped almost half being right by the wifi, so I'll assume ethernet speed. I get that on 2 desktops ethernet sometimes, mostly 860-940 or so and 40 up. Downstairs, xb7 upstairs, maybe 30-35 feet away my s10+ gets 200d41u on speedtest.net. when I went to the xb7 they wanted my xb6 turned in to. I tried to keep it but nnnoooo, so I bit and lost it forever. I tried 3 xb7 , the wifi does not have the same range as the xb6 - to my experience. The wifi6 on the xb7 is a joke, limited devices, and if you're out of the room with the modem/wifi the wifi6 drops considerably. If you ask for a xb7 to be delivered you have to turn in the xb6, but at least you can swap with the xb7 and compare. I got tired of trying. Had to move the xb7 so it's wifi would reach my downstairs tv and dvr. Had to change from 5ghz to 2.4 for the range - I named each channel so I could direct the device rather than let it swap on its own as I would constantly lose wifi, 5ghz only shows 2 bars. Go outside and I have terrible reception, can't see how xfinitywifi benefits anyone as it doesn't leave my yard. I can't say anything about the xb7 is better than xb6, nothing. I've thought of a modem other than comcast - nope nope, can you imagine the headache with maintenance!! But we could change settings without those horrible lock us out apps that xfinity put out. Those are horrible as the other poster mentioned nyc_hdl I believe. He posts before you about ports, thats beyond me, but I believe he said he went with his xb6 that was still set right. If you let your working xb6 out of your hands, its a lot if time wasted trying to find a working solution. Hope I gave ideas and didn't rattle aimlessly..

Contributor

• 

775 Messages

3 years ago

What wifi analyzer app do u use?
Ios or android?

I think you have to be jailbroken to use one on ios.

Is there a wifi analyzer i could use on desktop?

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

3 years ago

adammusic22 - android, shows farproc and installed in the pic. I gave up on Apple years ago. Not aware of a desktop version. It shows strength of the wifis it sees, 2.4 and 5 ghz, and suggests better channels to use. There are many apps but its a guess which is best, I like this one. I'd post a pic of it suggesting channels but it shows its address and I don't want to post that.

1 Attachment

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

Bridging is really simple to do. Just go into the XB6/7 gateway, typically: http://10.0.0.1 and that will let you access the gateway's home page. You will have to login of course. Once in you should see "Gateway > At a Glance". Below the blue "Wi-Fi Configuration" bar you should see "Bridge Mode: Enable - Disable". It will be Enabled. To switch to Bridge Mode, click on DISABLE, which will disable the router function of the gateway, and turn it into a straight Modem without WiFi which your external router will then have to provide. This is what I did. Normally you wouldn't have two routers with WiFi functioning at the same time. To expand ethernet connectivity you can connect an ethernet switch that will allow more devices to be connected to your system, with your router providing all WiFi signals.

I just ran Ookla SpeedTest (ethernet direct, no WiFi):
Tests: 44 (Average between 2/15/2020 and today, 11/20/2020)
Highest Speed: 951.74
Average Speed: 871.07
11-20-2020 test: 944.96 DN 42.30 UP
11-19-2020 test: 950.33 DN 42.57 UP
11-19-2020 test: 943.47 DN 42.08 UP
11-15-2020 test: 946.23 DN 42.02

So the speeds with the XB6 still seem to be holding up very well so far.

As far as WiFi was concerned, I found my XB6 to be relatively poor. My existing Linksys EA9500-AC5400 1GB router was far better. That was why I switched to Bridge Mode on the XB6, and have never changed back. I can get WiFi pretty much anywhere in the house (3 storey). WiFi signals from my Linksys router to my Note 10+ measure in the vicinity of 400-450 on the low side to 600 to 650 on the high side using 5GHz, and of course is VERY dependent on location in the house and the number of users on the internet. So the values can be rather widespread. Using 2.4GHz they are lower, but work somewhat further away. I have any TV's that I can stream from hardwired to my router or ethernet switch to maintain higher speeds. I also use a TP-Link WiFi Extender in my detached garage which barely works on 2.4 due to the distance from my router in the house. But it works, and THAT is the name of the game. I use my ROKU on a TV in the garage, and for control of WiFi on a window A/C unit that I can control remotely.

Once Comcast/Xfinity got me connected I measured typically up to 960 MBps DN and 40 Mbps Up. That of course was using direct ethernet connection from XB6 to my router to my desktop computer, NO WiFi. The DN speeds of course did vary dependent on the number of users connected to the same node I'm connected to that were using the internet at the same time I was. More or less, I always got around 350 to 500 DN even at the worse times. Still way better than I ever had withOUT Comcast/Xfinity.

As far as Port Forwarding goes, I also use that for a video surveillance camera system. Port forwarding data is entered in my Linksys router configuration page, which I have been using from day one, way before Comcast/Xfinity ever was here. It's used to allow me to monitor and playback videos from the cameras remotely either on my desktop computer monitor or my cellphone anywhere. I never tried to do port forwarding on the XB6 since I switched to Bridge Mode, and wasn't using the gateway for anything but a modem.

Based on all that I have been reading on this community forum, DSL Reports and any other various and sundry sites, it's pretty clear to me to NOT let go of this XB6 gateway, period! As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And it isn't broke! So I will keep it.

On another note, I thought I saw that there was a new software upgrade for the XB7. Or was that for the XB6? If there is one for the XB7, is there a new update for the XB6? My current software version (and the one that came with it as far as I know) is:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.2.2.0.104
Software Image Name: TG3482PC2_4.2p14s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services: TG3482G

My System Hardware is:

Model: TG3482G
Vendor: ARRIS Group, Inc.
Hardware Revision: 14
Serial Number: 9992H19GBExxxx
Processor Speed: 3999.78 MHz
DRAM Total Memory: 671 MB
DRAM Used Memory: 459 MB
DRAM Available Memory: 212 MB
Flash Total Memory: 12427 MB
Flash Used Memory: 12389 MB
Flash Available Memory: 38 MB

One question: Can you add or attach photos, and if so, how do you do that, not involving using a URL. Like copy and paste, etc. Thanks

Anyway that's what I've got for the moment. I hope it's of interest.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

3 years ago

Yes. This all goes back to my poor choice to let go of the XB6 for the potentially dubious marketing department claims of superiority for the troublesome XB7.
I have been following these detailed new posts, and I will continue to do so even after I no longer will be able to log in.
I made it official today with the billing department that when my paid up service ends in early December, my twenty plus years as a Comcast subscriber will be terminated.
Those that have skim read this thread from the beginning will understand that I have lost faith regarding the integrity/quality of the Memphis RF cable network (unresolved chronic signal issues) and the seemingly unresponsive local maintenance department.
My first few days with my new gigabit fiber Internet service have given me confidence that I made the right decision.
Thanks to all who have read or made comments. I hold no bitter feelings.
Good bye!

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

3 years ago

fromjusttheking - thanks for the informative post. I do use a wireless wifi, ampedwireless, that receives the xb7 wireless signal, amps it, and sends it out 4 antennas. I have it in a back bedroom in the back window to feed that area and the back yard. IT WORKS, but no great speeds. AT&T 4G is as good but I feed my bedroom old SlingPlayer box and shed from it . Xb7 is in the front upstairs bedroom. As for the attach a pic, on my s10+ it shows below where I'm typing now a block with - Browse files to attach. Click on the browse and I select My Files to pic the photo whether from camera or screenshot. I was looking for my firmware version and get lost in the clicking!! But you are right about keeping the xb6. You may read where oldmanriver1 has had enough and leaving.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

3 years ago

P.S. I notice that my most recent critical posts were deleted by the powers that be at Comcast.

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

3 years ago

Oldmanriver1 - censorship!?! Say it isn't so.. Hold on for the new order comrad, it'll get worse..

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I just want to say I have been dealing with this issue for many years now. Wireless at my house is intermittent at best. I am not sure if it has to do with interference, high traffic loads, sun spots or time of day ( night). Probably all the above. I know on my old tube radio receivers (yes, I know , I really am that old) I listened to a local program at night and then an hour later tuned into a similar program at a station 2 states way. But only at night and not all the time. Atmospheric conditions had to be right. I know the airwaves are jammed now days. Yes I understand about different frequencies but trust me we are getting "stepped on" and there is "bleed over". The best solution for wireless is get your AP ( access points) close as you can to your receiver. Better still hardwire whenever you can ( I am excited about MoCA for my house built in 1917) I have aluminium siding so I essentially live in a Faraday cage. I am planning on using MoCA to eliminate wireless where I can and to use MoCA to move wireless AP around the property (detached garage, patio, front yard) to get the signal close to my devices as I reasonably can. Beyond that it's D. I. Y. wifi booster cans and other
wifi hacks. Remember the internet is subject to all the above interference and variables. I remember doing a trace route ping to a site that was just a few miles away and discovering the signal was actually going to the other side of the country and then back with the requisite hops on the way, explained a lot about the slow speed for that context. Hope this helps or if not entertains 😎✌️

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same problems. I have the 1200mbps internet package and get 500 download speed to my Xbox and 6 upload. This is hardwired too. Something is going on and xfinity says everything is fine to the modem. I don’t think so. Can anyone help

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here