PLCMAN's profile

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

Thursday, January 20th, 2022 7:04 AM

Closed

XB7 Slow Upload Speeds

I have been having issues with the XB7 Slow upload speeds since December 2021. Xfinity has already sent out three technicians with a fourth one coming out tomorrow. I am on the 1.2Gb Download 35Mbps Upload plan. 

I have a Dell XPS 8940 running Microsoft Windows 10 Professional x64 and a using a TP-Link TX401 10GB Ethernet Card connected to the 2.5GB port on the XB7. Currently I am getting 1355.56 Mbps Download, 8.69 Mbps Upload with a 12ms latency. The download speeds on multiple tests have gone as high as 1430.99 Mbps and the upload speeds have gone as high as 11 Mbps.

Prior to the issues I was getting upload speeds of 41.25 Mbps using the 1GB Ethernet port on the XB7. During this test I was using the 1Gb Ethernet adapter on the Dell XPS 8940 motherboard.

During the last visit the technician replaced the XB7 modem and the upload speeds were restored to 41 Mbps. Within a day they were back to single digits. All of the modems were rebooted numerous times when talking to technical support.

I am looking for input on how to get this issue resolved.

Contributor

• 

167 Messages

2 years ago

What does the https://internet.xfinity.com/network/health results look like?

Just my .2 cents.

Thanks and good luck.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

2 years ago

Thank you for taking time out of your day to reach out to us about the upload speeds, @PLCMAN! I have three people working remotely from home so I know how important it is to have the speeds you pay for! I'm seeing some issues with your signals and I'd like to keep an eye on the appointment tomorrow since it sounds like you've had multiple technicians at your home.

Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address and I'll be happy to help :). 

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

@PLCMAN

I too have the exact same issue as you and I'm on the same plan.

My download speed is fine, but the upload inconsistently gets in the 40Mbps range which wasn't a problem for the XB6. 

If I reset the XB7, the uploads will return to that range, but after a few hours, the speed is back to 10Mbps upload with the occasional 40Mbps.

Others on the web in various forums all seem think it's related to either the XB7 being sensitive to RG-59 cabling and signal in general (if someone has the issue on RG-6 let me know), or the XB7 just having firmware or hardware that's not so great, or a combo of both.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @weaselDude, I know just how important it is to get the full speeds in your plan! Sometimes factors such as device specifications and the number of devices actively using the internet the moment the speed test is being conducted can impact the results. 

Are you seeing these speeds on a wireless speed test or hard-wired speed test?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@XfinityAldrik​ 

I'm seeing this issue on LAN speed tests. Using a Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE NIC. 

The number of devices in the home connected via wi-fi is 10. Most of them being smart home devices, and only 2 heavier bandwidth devices that are streaming and gaming at the same time. However, this activity isn't being done when tests are running.

These same devices were in the home when the XB6 was in use, and there was never an issue with the Upload speed. It's only when upgrading to the XB7 to take advantage of 1500Mbps download speeds did I notice the problem.

It seems like more time was spend making sure the modem could perform on the download, and the how it handles uploads wasn't that optimized at the firmware/software in the modem itself.

I hope Xfininty is aware of this problem and is looking into it. There are too many posts with other uses also having issues with the upload on the XB7.

Sure, I could go back to the XB6, but then I lose the 1500Mbps capabilities which I do take advantage of via new game downloads or working with large video files.

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

It might be worth it, if you haven't already, to try and swap out the modem. We can send you one or you can get one at a local store too. Let me know what you think and we can take it from there for you. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@XfinityJosephB​ 

Hi Joseph,

I have not tried or been offered to replace the XB7 with an alternate XB7. However I'm stuck on RG-59 cabling. I'm willing to try a replacement XB7 since it seems I'm stuck with it. I tried replacing the XB7 with Netgear, and Motorola WiFi6 modems which both provided consistent down/up speed. However, neither modem was able to stay connected to the Call of Duty Activision servers for more than 3min. Only the Xfinity modems stay connected for some odd reason.

Separately, it seems that based on various forum posts per reddit and these forums that the XB7 is more sensitive to RG-59, especially when it comes to upload speed.

I had a technician come out and replace all the connectors on my line from the box, up to my unit.

The only thing we couldn't replace was the line itself since it runs through another units balcony, into an outdoor soffit/drop ceiling, then down into our buildings basement.

The run itself wasn't an issue, but the problem is that each area the cable penetrates has been sealed with caulk/adhesive to prevent water from running down the cables. This was something the technician was not equipped to deal with.

The technician suggested that an electrician may be a cheaper alternative, and that there are solvents that can breakdown the caulk/adhesive to allow the cables to physically move again.

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

2 years ago

Wonder how the original poster @PLCMAN is making out ???

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@EG​ 

Yeah would be nice!

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

For some reason I just saw these replies to my original message. Xfinity replaced the micron Node on the outside of the house and t hie seems to have fixed the issues.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I just received an XB7 as a replacement for a "failed" XB6 that was consistently getting 12Mbps upload speeds until it suddenly and without warning stopped working one evening. Now no better than 4-5 and more often less thean 2Gbps. I am a WFH Enterprise IT engineer and this is very much unacceptable.

This comment has been converted into a post

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@rjt21​  This is a common issue. My upload has all the same symptoms and problems as the people said above. Xfinity has sent multiple techs, done multiple troubleshooting and alas no results. I guess time to switch providers seeing as how Xfinity doesn't care about upload speeds.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here