iufan12's profile

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, August 8th, 2024 10:51 AM

x1 connecting to community wifi without modem

My mom has community cable and wifi...she had a white xfinity box on the wall.  I was told her x1 dvr could connect to community wifi without modem.  But....not sure it can.  I have been given many different answers by xfinity.   For a week she was able to access apps then it went away.  Does she or doesn't she need a modem and if not how do we get dvr connected to wifi...setup screen has no connection to wifi screen.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

2 months ago

Hi @iufan12 Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding the DVR. I would be more than happy to offer my assistance looking into this further for you.
What type of DVR does she have? Does she have a physical cable box? Are you able to provide the model number in order to best assist you? We look forward to assisting you with your questions regarding DVR service. 

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

She has an x1.  I don't have the serial number until I go to her apartment.  The dvr is plugged directly into the white square xfinity community wall unit that is supplied.  Her community supplies cable services and free community wifi.  

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

Serial number is [Edited: "Personal Information"]

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

iufan12 if the cable box was previously working than it sounds like it was hooked up correctly. The community Wi-Fi should not be impacting how your X1 equipment is working. Are you able to reset the box by removing the power cord for a minute and plugging it back in? After about 5 minutes what do you see on the TV screen, after the reset? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

The box is working fine.  I need to know if it dan be connected to community wifi without a modem.  

I have received conflicting information every time I call. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

iufan12 👍 the short and respectful answer is no. You won’t be able to sign her X1 box onto the community Wi-Fi. But primary X1 equipment is not designed this way. When you subscribe to Xfinity internet and TV the services work automatically. She would need to subscribe to Xfinity internet for all X1 features to work. The article provided will confirm this answer and give you additional information. 

This answer will change if you have an X1 wireless box as secondary equipment. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-on-the-x1-platform

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

2 months ago

@iufan12 @XfinityJosephA @XfinityShawn 

Please circle back here and post any possible solutions for the issue here in these open public forums so that all readers here may benefit from the exchange / info. This is in keeping with the spirit for which these public help forums were originally intended. Thank you.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here