Sheila1031's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Apr 15, 2021 12:15 AM

Wifi randomly stopped working for 3 hours

Hi everyone. The strangest thing happened last night. At around midnight, the wifi suddenly went out for 3 hours and the light on the modem blinked green for the entirety of that duration until it resumed functionality. While I’m used to an occasional 5-10 minute outage, I was not expecting it to take, nor wait several hours for the wifi to start working again. This has never happened before either.

I tried resetting it two times, waited around 30 minutes per attempt, and then just gave up because I assumed it must've been a complex problem if a simple reset wouldn't fix it. Another thing of note is when I went to touch the modem, it was pretty hot. Maybe it's always that heated, I don't know.

Anyway, I play games competitively and I have always been very pleased with my 30 ping. If I thought my wifi was slow or prone to randomly breaking, I wouldn't play. Now I'm very worried that this might happen again for just as long, if not longer, and that sort of thing just cannot happen when I'm in a match. I tried contacting Xfinity support to see if there was a way to figure out what caused the breakage last night, but I got no answers.

So I guess I have to figure out a way to troubleshoot this myself, but I don't know how and that's why I'm here. Could this be a wiring issue, and what if it isn't? Is there a process that logs specific disturbances in the wifi that I could look at?

Thanks. 

Responses

EG

Expert

• 

86.6K Messages

1 m ago

3 hours is a bit long for it but there is a possibility that it was network maintenance / upgrades. After midnight is their window of opportunity for that.

That said. Please start here if you wish;

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/connection-troubleshooting-tips/602da777c5375f08cdea3db9

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick

New to the Community?

Start Here