bpc135798642's profile

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

Saturday, September 25th, 2021 4:13 PM

Closed

Wifi printer no longer reachable on WLAN

Hi, I am no longer able to print to my HP LaserJet 1217 MFP via xfinity wifi. It's worked flawlessly before - has Xfinity updated some settings on my router?

The printer is configured with a static IP address, and it's able to join my home wifi network via your XB3 router. The printer display shows the correct IP address, and when I log into the router it shows the printer shows is on the network, however I can't ping it or print to it from any other device (2x Windows 10 PCs, 2x iOS 14 devices), all of which were able to print via wifi a few weeks back. I can connect to the printer via USB as a workaround, but would really like to get it back on my WLAN. Thank you!

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

Some updates:

- I found that the router was still showing the printer as connected, even when the printer was turned off - strange

- I changed the printer from static IP to DHCP in the router, and the printer reconnected to the router with a new IP address (printer and router show the same IP address), but I still can't access or ping it

- I successfully updated the printer firmware - no success in connecting to it from W10 or iOS 14

- I also updated the W10 drivers and no success

- I relocated the printer next to the router, and connected with a LAN cable and am able to print successfully from W10 and iOS14

- My best guess is still some issue with the wifi security on the router

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

3 years ago

The latest Windows 10 update is causing printing problems for many. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-update-breaks-printing-for-some-users-again

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

3 years ago

Since it worked after hard-wiring with Ethernet, it's not a Windows issue as the OP also had problems with iOS14.

Yet another reason to limit WiFi to portable devices as much as possible.

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks both for the thoughts. Agree - since I can print from W10 over ethernet, that's not the issue. I have to think Comcast made some security update on the router. I could run a permanent ethernet cable over to where the printer is, but that's another 3-4 hours work plus the cost of the cable. If there's a config change I can make on the router that's a much quicker fix. 

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

@bpc135798642 Hey there! Have you checked the connection with the device using our Xfinity app specially the xFi feature? There you can check on the security connection to the actual device. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

Thanks Jodie. Yes - that was one of the first things I tested. The printer shows up in Xfinity app as connected to the network, but when I click the Troubleshoot button the app can't connect. The error is "HP LaserJet M1217 is not responding. It may be in power save mode. Try waking it and testing again. If the problem persists, restart your device". 

The printer is not in power save mode - it's on and the screen shows "Ready". 

I've also rebooted the printer multiple times as well as the router. 

Is there anything you can check from your end?

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

3 years ago

I can tell you right now that HP printers have issues with wifi printing.  I work on computers and see it a lot when trying to fix clients issues.  Sometimes a reboot of the printer works or disconnecting from the wifi and reconnecting to it. 

My next concern is make sure the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz bands on the xfinity router is separated into 2 different SSID's and not combined into 1.  Label them differently such as "your network name 2.4" and then "your network name 5"  The reason for this is a lot of printers and other devices have issues connecting to a network with combined SSID's.  Just had to fix 2 customers with the very same issue in the last few months.

Another thing you might want to do is think about getting your own modem/router.  I've seen much less issues when using retail equipment then providers.  If you need the voice option then there are a few models available with voice.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

3 years ago

Many newer HP printers have a "Wi-Fi Direct" feature. No Internet required.

When you turn on the "Wi-Fi-Direct" function, your device will see the printer listed with all other available connections.

Check your printer manual.  The manual will explain how to get printer ID and password.

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

@MNtundraRET - thank you for that suggestion. I turned on Wi-Fi direct and I can print over Wifi, bypassing the Xfinity router. It's a bit cumbersome since i have to switch wifi networks to do so (e.g. I can't print and update this webpage at the same time) but it's a good workaround!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

@bpc135798642    I would think you could leave the Wi-Fi Direct connected, along with the other site.

Even if the print command were sent to the same printer both ways, you already know only the one will succeed.

I have DSL for Internet, and have about 7 devices connected. My gateway shows separate sites (connected) for 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz Band (3 printers use 2.4 GHz.

(edited)

Retired Expert

Gold Problem Solver

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

@bpc135798642 

The two WiFi bands have recently been combined into one with the Comcast gateway devices. Some devices get confused and don't know how to see / talk to combined bands.

If you are not using any Xfi Pods, you can try separating the 2.4 and the 5.0 bands and give them two different broadcast names / SSID's;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi 

Associate the devices with the 2.4 band's SSID (broadcast name) and password.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

@EG

Thats exactly what I posted previously.  

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

@Johnb51

Not exactly. I posted a link to the 'how to', and mentioned about using the pods. 

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

Thanks @EG @Johnb51 I tested with the bands on separate SSIDs, and got a 169.254.x.x IP address. The printer has been successfully connected to the 2.4GHz band on Xfinity for the past 4-5 years with the 5 GHz using an identical SSID.

(edited)

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

Hi Everyone - thanks for the suggestions. Here is what I have tested this evening:

- Observed that the IP address shown by the printer after connecting to the router is 169.254.x.x. Doing some research shows this is an auto-generated IP address by the printer when it cannot connect to the DHCP server, so now I know why I can't print to it. Note I have 10+ devices on my network with DHCP, so I know it's working.

- Configured the printer with a static IP, and the correct gateway and subnet mask - no luck in connecting.

- Per two of the suggestions above, I renamed the SSID for the 2.4 GHz band. I was able to connect the printer to the new SSID but the IP address on the printer is again 169.254.x.x. Searching online shows a lot of other people with Xfinity routers not assigning IP addresses recently.

- I am trying to remove the printer from my router history to start with a "clean" connection, but the router continues to show it as online and connected, even when it's turned off. Restarting the router does not help with this. 

@XfinityJodie - please help!

(edited)

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

@XfinityJodie @Xfinity Support could you please help with next steps, there is plenty of troubleshooting info in the thread above.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

@bpc135798642 here is a tip, if you configure your printer to use a static ip, the dhcp server will no longer issue a ip, it’s one or the other, Also if your really mean a static ip and not a reserved ip, a static ip falls outside the dhcp servers ip range…..

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@bpc135798642 Have you tried deleting the printer from your computer, shutting off the printer and removing the power cord, reconnecting the power cord and starting the printer, and then reinstalling the printer?

Do you still have your manual for setting up the printer?  If not, you can download it from HP.   Also, do you have the HP Support Assistant?  And did your laser printer also point you to the Embedded Web Server?  [I don't have a LaserJet so I honestly don't know if those features are available to you.]  The HPSA and the EWS have proven quite beneficial to me whenever I have had printer problems.

You might also want to check HP's Community Support.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

@jlavaseur You're correct - I meant a reserved IP, not static IP. I am learning a bit more this week about networking!

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your help. This issue has resolved itself, after I... did nothing for a few days. I still think the problem was with the router. As a reminder the symptoms were:

- Wireless printing suddenly stopped from all devices on the WLAN at the same time (2x W10, 2x iOS 14)

- I could print when connected directly to the printer via Wifi direct, indicating no HW issues with the printer Wifi 

- I could print when connected to the printer, when it was connected to the router via LAN cable, indicating no issues with W10, drivers etc

- When the printer tried to connect wirelessly to the router via WPS or via me manually entering the SSID and PW, it showed a 169.254.x.x IP address, indicating a DHCP server did not respond to the printer. Note that I have 10+ other devices on my WLAN working with DHCP.

- When logged into the router (http://10.0.0.1/connected_devices_computers.jst) or the xFi iOS app or website (https://internet.xfinity.com/), it still shows the printer as always being connected to the WLAN, even when the printer is turned off. Issue persists after rebooting the router.

- I updated the printer firmware, which did not help (printer still showed 169.254.x.x)

- I created a separate SSID for the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands, which did not help (printer still showed 169.254.x.x)

To resolve the issue I waited a few days. I had the printer connected to the router via LAN cable during this time. I disconnected the LAN cable, rebooted the printer, hit the WPS button on the printer and the router, and today the router assigned an IP address! Either Comcast made some update to the router, or a DHCP lease expired. I can now print again from both W10 and both iOS 14 devices.

Many thanks again to everyone that posted suggestions! I am a bit disappointed that the issue was clearly with the router, but only one post here from an official Comcast employee.

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

@Again TY. I also posted on the HP Community portal, but not a single response over there... I was able to connect to the Embedded Web Server when the printer had been assigned a valid IP address (either wired, Wifi, or wifi direct). With the 169.254.x.x IP address, no response, as expected. I did try the HP Support assistant, but did not work since the printer was not on the WLAN.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here