Littleriver6600's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, October 13th, 2020 4:00 PM

Closed

WiFi network thinks it’s in another time zone

I just updated my xfinity gateway/router to the latest and greatest.  Everything works fine, EXCEPT that my WiFi network now thinks it's operating in the Eastern time zone instead of the Pacific time zone, where it actually is.  This means that any wireless device connected to the WiFi that is not using cellular service (like all the family's iPads) shows the time as being incorrect by three hours, which throws off all our calendars and appointment times.  All of our iPads are set (and have always been set) to detect the time zone automatically.  Problem is, they're detecting Eastern time.  I've tried explaining this to xfinity, but they just keep telling me the router also detects the time zone automatically and that there's no way to change it in the router configuration. They want me to "fix" the problem by setting our iPad times zones manually instead of automatically, and I want THEM to figure out why this WiFi network is "automatically" detecting a time zone 2000 miles away.  They are being singularly unhelpful.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this?  Is there any possibility that the router has, somewhere in the guts of the configuration, a switch to TELL it to detect the time zone automatically (like our iPads) and that this hasn't been turned on?  Anybody?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

We are having the same issue

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Same issue here. It's wreaking havoc on my work meeting times.

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

3 years ago

That is an interesting one...have you tried going into your computer's settings, allowing it to know your location and setting the time zone like that? That is not my answer on how to fix it, I am just curious. Anyway, in a browser, while connected to your network, type 10.0.0.1, Enter. You should see a login screen the default username is admin and password is either admin or password (you should change that as soon as you log in). I was just poking around the settings and I did not see anything that specifically addressed Time, but if your settings got changed your Router may think it's in the wrong place. Since this is a new one for me I will suggest a few things you can do to either narrow down the issue or hard (factory) reset the router for real. Also, attached is the only reference to Time of Day in the settings, it seems like it is part of the network's startup process, which resets once a day, usually around 2am. If you Click on Troubleshooting you can "print" out the system logs for the router for the amount of time you specify, which may show an error, but if you want to really reset the settings to factory there are a few options. First go to Reset/Restore, do not choose the first choice "Reset Gateway", you can either choose to Reset everything to Factory settings with the "Restore Factory Settings" button, or you can just reset the Wi-Fi Module, since that is what would be faulty, not the modem. I attached another picture of that menu. Good Luck!

2 Attachments

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Littleriver6600 wrote:

I just updated my xfinity gateway/router to the latest and greatest.  Everything works fine, EXCEPT that my WiFi network now thinks it's operating in the Eastern time zone instead of the Pacific time zone, where it actually is.  This means that any wireless device connected to the WiFi that is not using cellular service (like all the family's iPads) shows the time as being incorrect by three hours, which throws off all our calendars and appointment times.  All of our iPads are set (and have always been set) to detect the time zone automatically.  Problem is, they're detecting Eastern time.  I've tried explaining this to xfinity, but they just keep telling me the router also detects the time zone automatically and that there's no way to change it in the router configuration. They want me to "fix" the problem by setting our iPad times zones manually instead of automatically, and I want THEM to figure out why this WiFi network is "automatically" detecting a time zone 2000 miles away.  They are being singularly unhelpful.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this?  Is there any possibility that the router has, somewhere in the guts of the configuration, a switch to TELL it to detect the time zone automatically (like our iPads) and that this hasn't been turned on?  Anybody?

FWIW, you likely have received a new / different WAN (public) IP address assignment to your connection (because of the equipment / MAC address change) from their DHCP server / IP address pool, and the rDNS / geolocation data that is associated with it is now incorrect for you as it previously belonged to someone else that lived in that area. Comcast shuffles blocks of IP addresses around the country all the time. ISP's don't correct this. A third party service does. Unfortunately, this is typically a *back-burner* thing to get corrected. The only thing that you can do is to report it. You can try this;

https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/

http://www.ipligence.com/contact/

https://www.ip2location.com/contact/

https://www.home.neustar/contact-us

https://support.google.com/websearch/contact/ip/

Wait for the geolocation provider to approve your request. If your request is approved, the amount of time it takes to see the correction varies by provider. The average is a month or more.

YMMV. Good luck !

Official Employee

• 

7K Messages

3 years ago

Hello shybit. Thank you for visiting and posting on our Forum. I can assist with troubleshooting your modem Timezone issue. Please send me a private message and include your full name and service address so I can assist you. To send me a private message click my name (ComcastJoeTru), then click "Send a message". 

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

@ComcastJoeTru Can you help me with this issue as well? I am on the phone with someone at comcast and they can't fix the issue.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

If @ComcastJoeTru  is able to fix my issue, i will certainly post back here. I have sent him a private message.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

did ComcastJoeTru help you fix the issue? I have a wi-fi clock that is precisely 4 hours fast and think I have the same issue.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Hello @Momzof3 ! We signed up with Xfinity in November and had this same issue right away. Our correct time zone is Eastern; however, the router/gateway was Central with an IP location in Chicago. Every website we would visit would show stores 500 miles away, tablets, and other devices would be on the wrong time. After several frustrating rounds of calling, tech support, etc. I had a customer service rep tell me that sometimes the gateways get reused/redistributed without being properly reset for the destination they are going to. So today, I went to the Xfinity local store and exchanged the gateway for a new one to get assigned a new IP address. Problem solved! My understanding is IP address is assigned by gateway so this was the best/fastest solution for us. 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

@Abyss see my previous reply. Try and exchange your gateway at a local xfinity store.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@jmmastron wrote:

My understanding is IP address is assigned by gateway so this was the best/fastest solution for us. 

FWIW, the public / WAN IP address is assigned TO the gateway device BY their (Comcast's) DHCP server. It is tied to the MAC address of the gateway device.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here