U

Monday, July 8th, 2024 2:32 AM

Wifi extender works but not home network

I have a wifi gateway with a wifi extender on another floor connected to the network. I get decent internet speed when connecting to the extender's network, but no internet at all when connecting directly to the gateway's signal, despite my devices identifying that network as a possible one to connect to. To be able to get good internet throughout my house, I need to be able to connect directly to the gateway's network, so I would like to get this problem fixed.

Official Employee

• 

535 Messages

2 months ago

@user_6cwm3w Sounds as if you may have Bridge Mode enabled. Normally you can simply connect an Extender as a standard Ethernet device. It will then handle its own connections where ever you place it. The modem will continue to provide its own WiFi and Ethernet connections at the same time. Follow the steps here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode to ensure it's not in Bridge Mode. That allows another router to take full control of the network, instead of the modem doing so which is not what you want for the setup. 

2 Messages

We weren't able to get internet via the ethernet connection to the gateway. We were able to follow the instructions you linked to while connected to the extender's wifi, and it indicates that bridge mode is off for the gateway's network. In case it gives any insight, this problem started after a power and internet service outage.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

We are glad to take a closer look at this for you @user_6cwm3w.  So that we can get started, please feel free to shoot us a private message with your details and we can get the ball rolling.  

To send a "direct message" / "private message" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here