EldenF's profile

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, January 1st, 2023 3:15 AM

Closed

wifi connection to specific devices is flakey. keeps dropping at random.

I just upgraded to the 1200 Mbps plan with an XB7 gateway. This gateway replaces a Netgear modem that I was using along with 2 Google Nest wireless access points in a mesh setup.

I was having zero trouble with my Google Nest wifi. I have six devices that are very special purpose. These devices maintain connections to various network servers. They also have built-in web servers where I can view the device status and activity. So each device has two connections... one with a network server... and one with my web browser.

After switching to the XB7 gateway... connections for these wifi devices are dropping regularly and randomly. Both the connections to the network servers... and the connection to the browser interface. These devices are now virtually unusable because of the unreliable nature of their wifi connections. Thinking maybe the signal wasn't good enough... I relocated these six devices in the immediate vicinity of the XB7 gateway. This didn't help.

My internet connection is perfect. I'm getting 96% of the speed I am paying for. Super happy with that. No other devices are experiencing problems and I currently have 34 connected devices.

Official Employee

• 

618 Messages

1 year ago

Hi there. Thanks for posting on our forum. We can take a look at your signal levels together. Let's meet in DM to get started. 

To send a direct message [private message]:

•    Click "Sign In" if necessary
  •    Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
  •    Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  •    The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
  •    - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
  •    - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  •    Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  •    Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@XfinityJay​ I appreciate your response. As it is... I've spent a fair amount of my holiday weekend dorking around with this. The fact is... when I put the XB7 in bridged mode and use my Google Nest Wifi gear, all my problems go away. The tech support for these little devices I referred to recommended I turn off "band steering". So... I took the XB7 back out of bridged mode to try it. Of course this involved splitting my network into two different SSIDs. This was a major hassle. And... it didn't solve the problem. Thinking it might be a firewall issue, I then completely turned off the advanced security features. That also did not help. So... I once again put the XB7 into bridged mode and put my Google Nest Wifi gear back into place.

What I don't understand is... the XB7 was reporting speeds exceeding 1200Mbps. But my Google Nest Wifi router, connected directly to it... only reports speeds in the neighborhood of the 880Mbps.

You mention "signal levels". The devices I have that are being troublesome are within 18 inches of the XB7. I'm going to hazard a guess that signal strength is not the problem. But the real issue is... I'm so weary of messing with this for now, I'm not willing to take the XB7 out of bridged mode unless you have some sort of suggestion (other than pointing fingers at signal strength).

Not sure how you measure signal strength. But the devices I have that are not getting along with the XB7 report in the neighborhood of -19 dBm.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

887 Messages

You can continue to use your modem in bridge mode. The Google devices may have a limitation on them that would keep them around the speed you are seeing, you would need to check that out with Google. It appears your services are working correctly and you have service into the home. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

I realize I can use the XB7 in bridge mode. But I'd much rather get the problem worked out. Using bridge mode doesn't fix the problem, it works around it. I went with the XB7 gateway specifically so I could get the speeds I'm paying for. If I can't do that, then I may as well downgrade back to using my own modem and a lower speed plan.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

We would still need you to send us a Private Message if you would like us to look into this further. We'll need your full name and address to see if there is anything concerning with your signal levels.So far the issues you've described don't appear to be pointing to the connection we are providing you directly which is why the recommendation of consulting Google on their devices was given. We will do our best to troubleshoot considering there are third-party devices within your home network but because we don't fully support third-party devices, we may need you to consult with them if we don't find a singular indicator that would be a reason why this is happening.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@XfinityBenjaminM​ You are correct. The problem I'm having is not with the connection, it is with the equipment. I am going to resort to leaving the XB7 in bridged mode. I have purchased a router that has a 2.5Gbps WAN port. In theory... this should connect up to the XB7 and give me full speed, correct? One of the XB7 LAN ports is 2.5Gbps if I'm not mistaken.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here