T

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, February 27th, 2023 1:15 PM

Closed

Which modem works?

I have been researching upgrades to a 3.1 modem but I see so many with problems yet they are on the approved list by Xfinity. Are there any that actually work? I saw both the MB8611 and the S33 have good reviews but unfortunately have had major problems setting up with Xfinity. 

i currently have a Netgear modem/router combo but am looking to get separate modem and router so router suggestions are also appreciated. My current plan claims to be 800 mbps. None of my devices will be wired in as the cable is too far away. I currently get about 120-220 mbps. 

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

1 year ago

Hello there @tmsjava!  Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to Xfinity Support here on our Community Forum.  We are so glad to hear from you and happy to help in any way that we can in order to ensure you are having the best expereince with your service.  No worries!  You have reached out to the right team, and we are going to do everything we can to get things squared away for you.  If you are looking tup change your internet equipment, I would suggest looking at our certified modem list (https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices)  to ensure you are getting a device that will get you the best connection.  

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityArmand​ I have already looked at the approved devices. Some of those have major problems with Xfinity (mb8611 especially)! That’s why I wanted to know personal experience from people who have something that actually works because not all of the ‘approved’ devices work.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

1 year ago

Understood.  We also have our own Xfinity Issued devices that would give optimal signal.  When was the last time you had a tech out to take a look at your connections at your residence?  While this could be a device issue, it could be an underlying connectivity issue that could be taken care of with a tech appointment.  Would you like for us to run some checks on your connection?

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

1 year ago

Tech was here about 2 weeks ago. They had been doing upgrades in the area and internet was going in and out. Been ok since but they keep telling me to upgrade my modem to 3.1 for faster speeds.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Got it!  We would like to take a closer look at things for you.  Please feel free to shoot us a private message with your full name and service address.  That way we can take a look at things for you.  

To send a "direct message" / "private message" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

I don’t need tech support, just want to know what 3.1 modem will work on Xfinity.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

No worries!  If you are looking to upgrade or replace your existing non Xfinity Issued device, your best bet would be to double check out our certified modem list https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/ before making your purchase.  That way you can ensure your device will be able to get you the best connection for your service.    

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

You’re just repeating what you said before. Apparently, some of those don’t work and Xfinity should update that list!

Expert

• 

1.4K Messages

1 year ago

@tmsjava 

I recently replaced my 3.0 Arris modem with a Netgear CM1000 3.1 that I bought at Walmart. My router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, and is several years old. I haven't had any issues. I'm on the Performance 200 Mbps plan, and I'm currently getting 238.7 Mbps on a wireless W11 laptop. My wired W10 desktop gets about 200 Mbps.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@rightfooted​ thank you! I Will check out that modem. My speeds are around 200 or so though my plan allows for higher speeds. I assume the router is not wifi6 since it’s several years old?

(edited)

Contributor

• 

198 Messages

1 year ago

I've had good luck with my Netgear CM2050V.  Roughly 1420/40 on a 1200/35 plan.  That's actually pretty normal if things are working correctly.  Comcast overprovisions a bit.  I assume they do it to keep people with marginal gear from complaining.  Usually you get a little less than +20%.  CM2050V is only good if you also have Comcast phone service, but Netgear has a CM2000 that's just a straight cable modem and is basically the same thing minus the phone support.

All that said you should be getting 900+ on an 800 plan using a 1Gb+ wired connection if everything is working right.  Comcast likes to talk up how good their WiFi support is, but at the end of the day it's still WiFi and thus susceptible to interference, walls getting in the way, etc.  WiFi causes all kinds of performance problems so you should not assume your WiFi is ok unless you can prove it.  So drag a computer over to the router and test with a cable or get a long cable to test with.  Gotta find the bottleneck before you can fix it and testing with a cable will tell you if it's a WiFi problem or a cable problem.

If you get less than plan speed from a wired test I'd go ahead and post your signal stats and error logs.  Some info on that here:  ‎Internet Troubleshooting Tips | Xfinity Community Forum  Be sure to redact any IP and MAC addresses (CM-MAC, etc.) as Comcast considers them to be private personal information and will block your post if they are included.  Also it works better to copy and paste rather than taking a screen shot.  The forum does quite well with pasted tables and it's also easier to redact IP and MAC addresses that way.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@zandor60657​ thanks. Will try to get a laptop hooked up to the router first….most everything we use is wireless since the cable really only comes in one room. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here