ak103114's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, January 30th, 2021 6:00 PM

Closed

WAN Aggregation

I just upgraded my router to one that supports WAN aggregation.  Do I need a second IP adress for that?  Can you tell me what the price of that service is?  Thank you for your time.

Contributor

• 

374 Messages

4 years ago

WAN aggregation combines two physical interfaces into a single virtual interface.

I have the Arris T25 and have 802.3ad LAG set to combine both gigabit LAN ports on the modem into a virtual 2Gb port.

I then have WAN aggregation enabled on my router and have the two ports on the modem connected to my router’s WAN port and LAN port 4 (which is enabled for aggregation).

Everything works with one IP. It’s as if you have a single WAN interface but it’s virtual using 2 physical ports.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@SkyhawkDriver Fantastic - I have a T25 I was going to replace because I dumped phone service, and just ordered a new Asus RT-AX88U which supports WAN link aggregation. Definitely going to try this out! 

(FYI to T25 owners - the setting is under Status, Interface Parameters, Link Aggregation on the modem configuration page.)

Thanks for the helpful hint!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

So all I have to do is plug in a second ethernet cable from my modem to my nighthawk, then turn the setting on in my router?

Contributor

• 

374 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, if the modem supports aggregation.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

@SkyhawkDriver wrote:
WAN aggregation combines two physical interfaces into a single virtual interface.

I have the Arris T25 and have 802.3ad LAG set to combine both gigabit LAN ports on the modem into a virtual 2Gb port.

I then have WAN aggregation enabled on my router and have the two ports on the modem connected to my router’s WAN port and LAN port 4 (which is enabled for aggregation).

Everything works with one IP. It’s as if you have a single WAN interface but it’s virtual using 2 physical ports.

I just updated my router and found this invaluable tidbit to get the full speed from my t25 modem.  Thanks!

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

Can someone please indicate how to " have 802.3ad LAG set to combine both gigabit LAN ports on the modem into a virtual 2Gb port.".

How does one configure the router to take advantage of the TWO gigaport ports?  I do not want an additional IP address.

One of my ports is rendered useless currently.  I assume it is a setting, but how to set it?

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

@EricInPDX gonna answer my own question .. configurable at 192.168.100.1 ... thanks

Think this should be a default because when initializing my modem with Comcast, I had the router plugged in, and a laptop hard wired to the other port.  Once it was initialized, the LAN port  1 stopped working on the laptop so I believed internet was not working.  Did not notice the router was getting a signal on LAN port 2 until I noticed on another computer.

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

and even though I have it set on, I can't take advantage of it .. can't access the internet or hook a switch to it.  Not sure what the use of it would be.  More homework needed.

If anyone can chime in, please do.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

I was never able to implement wan aggregation, but dual wan is setup similar, it works beautifully,

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

@jlavaseur What setting allows me to use both ethernet ports and actually access the internet?  If the setting is duel wan, how is it done?

Thanks in advance.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

It would depend if your router supports it, I have a asus rt-ax86u, it’s configured in the router it’s self, you do have to supply the router with 2 1000 Mbps active feeds, that particular router, says it’s multi gig, which it is, but you can only use the 2.5 gig Ethernet port on the wan or lan side, not both simultaneously, so obviously problems, but by using the dual wan method, I assign the 2.5 gig port the lan side, 

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

@jlavaseur   thank you ... I just bought a new router with the new modem and it does not seem that's an option.  I should have done better homework.  I guess my next router will need to support the protocol.  I have 1.2G speed with comcast but only getting 800 mbps download, which is half of yours, so make sense.

Appreciate the reply.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

Decided to buy an ASUS GT-AC5300 which supports the protocol .... will post again when I get this setup 

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

What do you have for a modem/gateway, and or router, just curious

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here