U

Friday, May 17th, 2024 4:23 PM

VPN connectivity with Xfinity continually dropping!

I have had xfinity for several years and am using a gig speed connection. But lately (in the last 6 months or so), my company's vpn connection keeps dropping.  It doesn't matter whether I am wired or wireless, I continue to have the same issues.  Some days, it is even worse wired than wireless.  I have checked repeatedly with our IT and they have said that the vpn is working fine, and that the issue must be with my provider.  There appears to be no rhyme or reason to when the connection will drop or how it can be reconnected.  I might go hours without an issue, only to have it drop and not be able to reconnect for hours, even though my connection to the home network is still showing connected.  Here is what I have tried so far.....  Need to get this fixed asap as it is essential to my job.

• I have checked and rechecked all connections
  • I have rebooted both the computer and router often - no effect
  • I have disabled Advanced Security
  • I have tried working using Bridge mode.
  • I have connecting directly to the router with no other connections.
  • I have tried removing and reinstalling the VPN application (Global Protect).

1 Message

4 months ago

I've seen a speed reduction connected to my work VPN from home also the past few months. And today around 4 PM the connection dropped and I cannot reconnect unless I take my PC off my Xfinity network and use my phones AT&T as a hotspot. It looks like Comcast is having a problem today. Wife cant even connect to playstation servers but websites work fine.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hi @user_bxay18,

Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. I apologize that you may be experiencing issues while connected to a VPN. Have you attempted to power cycle the modem when you experience the issues to see if that helps restore the connection? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

3 months ago

Hello @user_6olaet thanks for taking the time to create a detailed post and for troubleshooting your service. It seems like you have done all you can. The best thing we can do is schedule an appointment in this situation, especially since you're working from home. One of the most convenient ways to do this is to use the Xfinity Assistant. You can launch this from the Xfinity app, or you can use this link.

https://www.xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/

If you type in schedule an appointment the tool will have you troubleshoot but if you follow the prompts you can get that appointment scheduled. Hopefully this can save you some valuable time now or in the future. Not only do we want to take steps to get your Xfinity internet working to the quality we all expect, but we also want to provide enhanced self-service options.  Please let us know if this helps you out. 

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

I was having the same issue, starting a few months ago. Just upgraded to the XB8 gateway from the xb7 and my VPN has not lost connection, yet!

8 Messages

Thank you. Tech will be out this weekend. I will request the 8. 

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

For context, I was an IT system/network admin in a previous career and completed Cisco CCNP certification (sadly many years ago but I still keep up on the basics. I've been working from home for 3+ years through a work VPN.  I previously had T-mobile home Internet, and although every device was getting over 100Mbps, the VPN was often only getting 10-15Mbps and sometimes was as low as 3-4Mbps!!  This was true whether I connected via Ethernet or Wifi to the T-mobile gateway device.  Work IT blamed it on 5G latency, so I switched back to Xfinity last week after letting it go last year when the promo pricing expired.  With T-mo, my VPN dropped 1-2x/month and every time was attributable to the VPN. Now with Xfinity my VPN speed is over 60Mbps but the VPN drops 2-3x PER HOUR, with no one else making similar claims (hundreds of people connect to the VPN per day).  My work computer is the ONLY device connected to Xfinity (directly connected via Ethernet to the modem)....all other devices in the house still use T-mobile home internet router. I've been through the troubleshooting/diagnostics on the router (here) so I'm reasonably certain the problem is with Xfinity.  I'm already anticipating the suggestion that I should be using their router/gateway :(

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hi there and welcome to Comcast @netgnome. I am sorry to hear you are having troubles with your internet speeds. Some VPNs do lower the Xfinity Internet speeds. I work from home an our VPN does lower my Internet speeds. Are you experiencing the same issue without the VPN?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

Same issue here, started at roughly the same time. 

IDK what policies or backend technology they changed, but it's killing any VPN connections.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here