U

Sunday, August 4th, 2024 9:33 PM

Very Low Download Speeds 1 GB Internet Connection with XB8 Modem - No Human at Xfinity has been able to fix this.

I am an EE with a 1Gb Internet Connection XB8 modem.  Currently Max download speeds vary between 150Mb to 250Mb.  I had his service for 17 months with no issues.  Download speeds were 850Mb and upload speeds were 20Mb using multiple devices on the network.  About 2 months ago, Xfinity had a major equipment problem in my area, and we lost service for a day or two, followed by two weeks of intermittent / random downtime interruptions.  Finally after about 2-3 weeks the connection was up and connection was reliable.  HOWEVER, ever since then my download speeds have dropped to 250Mb and will not improve.  Used Xfinity app to troubleshoot, chatted multiple times with customer support, finally Xfinity sent a tech after several weeks.  Tech came and replaced the XB8 modem, checked all connections.  Speeds immediately jumped up to 850Mb again.  The Tech Left. THREE HOURS LATER SAME PROBLEM RETURNED.  Xfinity is at a loss to fix this issue which coincided with a Xfinity equipment failure in the area.  In engineering school we are taught "what changed?"as the FIRST step to seek a root cause.  I know what the change was, however no human at Xfinity can solve this problem after 2 months of trying.  Again, I am an EE and very familiar with the technology here. It is an Xfinity issue at their switch (probably involves their equipment outage a couple months ago).  I am about ready to chuck it all and go elsewhere!! I am patient but this is ridiculous....  It must be a provisioning problem, or the connection is being throttled, or still equipment switch issues at Xfinity.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

1 month ago

Thank you so much for reaching out, user_213utx! I'm so sorry that you're in this situation, and you haven't been able to get your services fixed. I'd be more than happy to help. Did the service tech tell you what he repaired before he left?

3 Messages

Hello,  There were no repairs.  All cabling, connections checked OK.  The tech replaced the modem and put a new co-ax cable on the modem to the outlet.  He said he could not find any problems and just did what  is mentioned because he didn't know what to do.  The connection jumped up to 850Mb down after the change but only lasted a couple hours.  Speeds now are between 100Mb to 250Mb download consistently.  I still think this is an Xfinity upstream equipment issue, or a provisioning problem.  I know how to check all this myself.  Remember this all started after an Xfinity outage a couple months ago.  Thanks!   Tom

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Gotcha! That is very strange. Typically, if there is some node issue that being attributed to signal hiccups, our tech would loop in our field maintenance team to further investigate the signal chain leading to your location. We can easily get a tech back out there and investigate the findings from the prior visit. Very sorry that this has been an involved process from your end. We truly take great pride in the satisfaction and confidence we aim for you to have in our service. 

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a Direct message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here