P

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, August 31st, 2022 9:47 PM

Closed

Unknown Device Connecting Through Gateway

I only have two Apple devices in my home - both of which are connected to my wifi. There is an unknown device connecting through "wireless gateway" that is not mine. I have changed the wifi password and my xfinity password. I am the only one that knows this password. It keeps connecting. I am not sharing the password with anyone. I've paused the device and yet it still connects later that day. I can't use any filters seeing as I live in an apartment. What do I do?

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

Using a set top cable box?  If not, screw an MoCA POE filter (point of entry filter) right on the back of your gateway to block it.  They're about $5. 

Bonus round, buy an MoCA to Ethernet adapter, and steal internet from your neighbors.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@flatlander3​ I saw someone make it so much more complicated than just the back of the box. Would that work even if it says it's connecting through wireless gateway? I thought it would say through MoCa? 

New Problem Solver

• 

617 Messages

Hi @peenhut

I hope you have been having a good day. I know figuring out this unknown device is always important. You've come to the right place and I am happy to help. 

Please send me a Direct Message so that I can gather some account details. 

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us: 
 • Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the “chat" icon (upper right corner of this page)
 • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 • Press Enter to send your message

I no longer work for Comcast.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

"wireless gateway" -- so it's not telling you how.  I think it's a terrible security problem that should have been fixed long ago, but they went with cost reduction instead.

The alternative is not using Xfinity gear and buy your own stuff.  Then you won't have the 'feature' and it's not a problem.  Save $14/month too.  It adds up.  Find your speed tier from the xfinity.com "my account" page.  Then go here:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems/  It has to be an approved gateway or just a modem if you have a wifi router already or a friend has one collecting dust.

You don't have to buy it there.  Shop around after you get a model number.

They're not breaking wpa2/wpa3 encryption, unless you have an entirely different problem with security and your Xfinity account.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I had the same thing happen, and I paused the device also and guess what then I couldn’t get online. Somehow the Xfinity app had changed the name that I had given. It was something that I was supposed to have through Xfinity next time just contact customer service and have them look into it for you. They can help you figure out exactly what it is before you pause it. I doubt that it was somebody being intrusive if you were changing your password and they got in the same Day. Unless your password is extremely easy and it’s somebody you know doing it. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

By any chance do you have a printer? Printers can have more than one device listed. Scanner, Fax, Printing.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 years ago

@user_5d1f2a 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. The original poster has not returned. 5-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

For future reference, it is better to submit your own post as it creates a ticket to get help, and posting on an old thread can delay getting help.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here