U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Friday, January 14th, 2022 9:32 PM

Closed

Turn off public wifi hotspot

I've been trying for days to turn off the public wifi hotspot from my gateway. Nothing had worked and the one and only time I got a hold of a real person they couldn't hear me. If this is not resolved TODAY I will be taking my business elsewhere. This is absolutely, stupidly ridiculous. Horrible horrible customer service.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

2 years ago

Concern moved here to the Customer Service help section for greater exposure to actual Comcast corporate employees (The Digital Care Team) for assistance.

Problem Solver

• 

606 Messages

2 years ago

@user_edfd5 I'm sorry to hear that you are having issue with turning off the hotspot on your modem. 

First I will provide some details about the hot spot for ny one else that is reading your post. 

Your Xfinity Wireless Gateway broadcasts an additional “xfinitywifi” network signal, creating an extension of the Xfinity WiFi network right in your home.

Next will will be providing the details on how to turn it off. THis can be found in it's entirty at https://comca.st/3FAKanp;

Enable or Disable the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot Feature in Xfinity xFi

1. Go to the Xfinity app (available to download for free from Apple App Store or Google Play) or the xFi site.
  2. Sign into your account using your Xfinity ID and password.
  3. Select Connect, then select See Network and then scroll down to select Advanced Settings (under More). From there, select Xfinity WiFi Hotspot.
  4. Slide the toggle to the right to enable your public hotspot and to the left to disable it.

Enable or Disable the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot Feature in My Account

1. Go to https://comca.st/3qwipIj.
  2. Sign in to your account using your Xfinity ID and password.
  3. Click Turn Off or Turn On to disable or enable your public hotspot. (Note: This is turned on by default.)
  4. Confirm your selection.
  5. A confirmation message will appear.
    Hotspot confirmation screen

Notes:

• If you're presented with information about Xfinity WiFi but don't see the option to Turn On or Turn Off, you have a device that is not eligible for this feature and is not broadcasting a public hotspot signal.

@user_edfd5e If you have tried all the above and are still having issues,could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this https://comca.st/3FAKbYv send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

Was this issue resolved? The option to turn off the public hotsopt by the user has been removed by Xfinity. The Xfi app has the selection available, but then displays "Let's Try That Again. Looks like that page didn't load."

Following the instructions above I get another message on the MyAccount page that says: "Hotspot Settings Are Unavailable. Your device doesn't support public Hotspot." Clearly this is false as my router is blasting the xfinity hotspot from my lonely router on 5 acres. 

I turned this hotspot off ages ago but of course it turned "itself" back on like many others have reported. What is going on? 

Recognized Contributor

• 

238 Messages

@user_e4382e Thank you for reaching out regarding the issue about your modem broadcasting the Xfinity Hot Spot and you are unable to turn it off. The message that you arhttps://comca.st/3i8vP8le receiving means that your gateway is not eligible for this feature and it is not broadcasting a signal for the public hot spot. 

There maybe hotspots broadcasting around you. You can find hot spots near you here Find Xfinity WiFi hotspots near you. One of these hot spots may be broadcasting around you.

Is there anything which leads you to believe that the gateway is broadcasting a home hot spot signal? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Yes, I previously had the ability to turn off and on the Hotspot but now I only recieve the messages I noted. I live on 5 acres, my router is the only access point nearby to my phone. I can connect to this hotspot and when I unplug my router, it goes away. There is an error in the Xfi system somewhere which has turned this hotspot on but will not allow me to turn it off. 

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

I'd be happy to look further into this for you. Please send us a PM with your name and address at your earliest convenience. 

To send a "Peer to peer" message:

• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

I was able to connect with an Xfinity chat agent, and though I was told at first that it was not possible to turn off the Xfinity Hotspot, I asked a few more questions and they were then able to submit for the Hotspot to be disabled. 

Please Xfinity, fix the issue that prevents users from disabling the hotspot themselves. This has always been an option and should not take contacting customer service, though I am thankful for their ability to resolve the issue. 

Official Employee

• 

952 Messages

@user_e4382e I'm glad to hear you were able to connect with an agent for assistance. To be honest, I ran into the same loading issue with my app, so I uninstalled/reinstalled the Xfinity App; and it let me turn it off from the Advanced Setting section of "My Network". We do appreciate you reaching out for assistance to get this resolved, and we be sure to pass along the feedback with your experience. We are always looking for ways to make things as easy and user friendly as possible. If anything should arise in the future, we are here 24/7 to support you. I hope you have a wonderful evening! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

It appears the xfi settings page has been repaired, and I can see the xfinity wifi is set to "off" in both the app and the xfi webpage. HOWEVER, weeks after Comcast turned off my xfinity wifi at my request, it's back on again, even though my settings are set to "off".

Comcast, PLEASE stop turning this wifi back on without my permission!! 

Official Employee

• 

977 Messages

Hello, @user_e4382e! I'm sorry to hear the issue is back. Have you turned it off again? Did it allow you? Please let us know. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

I was able to toggle the setting to on, then back to off again, and the xfinity wifi is now off. Is it possible for Comcast to prevent this from happening again? There are a lot of people reporting the same issue. 

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

I'm truly sorry for the frustration this has caused. I'm happy to hear that you were able to turn it off again. When it came back on had the modem recently reset or have you done any recent troubleshooting with your services? 

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Yes I had recently rebooted the modem when it came back on. At least, that's when I noticed it. 

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

It may have been due to settings being reset when the modem was rebooted. Again, I'm truly sorry for any frustration it caused. I know I disable mine because otherwise my kids will connect to is after their devices are paused for the evening. 

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

I give up. I'm getting rid of Comcast equipment. XFINITY and xfinitywifi is back.... again. I did not change anything. It looks like the settings page for turning it off is broken again. I get the same old "Let's Try That Again" message. I'm over this. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Exactly same issue for me as well :(  has a mind of its own.  Still can't disable the hotspot.  I can see SSID transmissions on 5.8 and 6ghz.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Thank you for taking time out of your day to reach out about your home hotspot, @user_292419. I want to make sure you're able to manage the settings for your modem. What happens when you follow these steps to disable the hotspot? 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

The link with in your support page accesses the app and immediately get the error "

Hotspot Settings Are Unavailable

Your device doesn't support public hotspots. To learn more about
hotspot features, please visit xfinity.com/wifi.   

Makes no sense.  I get this error in both the account app option to shut off public wifi, and the alternate xfinity app.  Tried e everything and just get an error.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Thank you for keeping me posted, @user_292419! I'd like to take a look at your account from my end to see if it will allow me to disable the hotspot.

Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address and I'll be happy to help. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityEmilyB​ 

Hi EmilyB—

Are you able to do this for me as well? I disabled the public hotspot option on my router last Friday. It's early Wednesday now and still on. Customer service was zero help and just tried to sell me an upgraded package.......

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I was just contacted by the local police, someone used my open xfinity network to order goods with a stolen credit card. All my settings are set to not allow open or public access. How is comcast getting away with this security flaw?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I have the same issue: can't turn off public "xfinitywifi" wifi. Both the App and also via the xfinity.com web site functions that should allow me to do this lead to a pages that says "Let's try that again" "Looks like that page didn't load" and a "retry" button that just reloads that same non-functional page.  I personally know this non-functionality has been going on for at least 2 months, and this thread shows that it has been going on much longer.

Nearly an hour with an xfinity tech support guy (in another country) was futile, as he didn't really understand how it works (he was telling me that comcast is broadcasting a wifi signal from towers they erect all over the place; yeah right.) and everyone he asked on his end gave him some variation of "it's not using your modem" and /or assuring me that the data used on it was not counted against my data usage. (I am in a rural spot: a wifi analyser shows strong xfinitywifi signal when next to my modem, which gets weaker as I walk away from my house; in exactly that same way that happens to my home wifi signal.)

I think they are just making it so difficult to get rid of it (and get rid of it permanently) that they hope people stop trying.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it.

Official Employee

• 

946 Messages

Hey @user_977e17, thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Support on our forums. Although we do have public hotspot, there is certainly the ones on the modems too. I've noticed working with other customers that sometimes it happens because one of the hotspots is already disabled giving that error. I'd love to help get it shut off for you. Can you send us a direct message so I can?

To send a direct message:

• Click the "Direct messaging" icon near the top right of the page

• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

@user_977e17​ totally agree. I don't think Comcast actually cares if you want to turn it off. They've taken away ability to control your equipment, make you jump through hoops to turn off their wifi, but I promise it will come back even if they shut it off for you. I've been through it. In the end, I ditched their gear, bought my own DOCSIS 3.1 modem and a router. Easy peasy, no more fuss with Xfinity gear, though they really do have good hardware. I just wish a user could stay in control of it. If you buy a modem of your own, Comcast publishes a compatibility list, and they need to activate it when you install, so plan to be without internet for a couple of hours until it is provisioned. However, Comcast support was super helpful in helping me get it up and running. I've always had good 1:1 support help. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Having the same problem. I'm my case I can turn it off but as soon as I turn on the BRIDGE MODE, the "xfinitywifi" starts to broadcast from my router again. Waited 24, 48 hrs , spoke with 3 agents and none understood what I was talking about.  Can someone from here help with? 

Administrator

• 

653 Messages

@user_bf346a

Enabling Bridge Mode doesn't disable the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot feature by default however it can be disabled afterwards by doing the following:

Enable or Disable the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot Feature in Xfinity xFi

1. Go to the Xfinity app (available to download for free from Apple App Store or Google Play) or the xFi site.
  2. Sign into your account using your Xfinity ID and password.
  3. Select Connect, then select See Network and then scroll down to select Advanced Settings (under More). From there, select Xfinity WiFi Hotspot.
  4. Slide the toggle to the right to enable your public hotspot and to the left to disable it.

Enable or Disable the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot Feature in My Account

1. Go to https://comca.st/3RPQm1X.
  2. Sign in to your account using your Xfinity ID and password.
  3. Click Turn Off or Turn On to disable or enable your public hotspot. (Note: This is turned on by default.)
  4. Confirm your selection.
  5. A confirmation message will appear.
    Hotspot confirmation screen

Notes:

• If you're presented with information about Xfinity WiFi but don't see the option to Turn On or Turn Off, you have a device that is not eligible for this feature and is not broadcasting a public hotspot signal.

To learn more about the home hotspot feature, to find a hotspot near you, or to download the Xfinity WiFi Hotspots app, visit https://comca.st/3RS1jA4.

Hotspots do not affect in-home data usage however we know many customers would prefer to keep their hotspots off for personal reasons. If you're still unable to disable the hotspot using the information presented, let us know and we can assist further.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I have done that already however it is not effective since my router still broadcast "xfinitywifi".

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

That is super strange! We can easily send you out a replacement unit to see if we can isolate the issue going that route. You can either stop down locally to get a replacement or we could ship you one out, whatever is easier for you we are happy to do. -ThomasB

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here