A

Saturday, May 4th, 2024 9:59 PM

Suspicious/Unknown devices connecting to my network. How to DISCONNECT or BLOCK them?

I checked the App and website as well as Google and the only "solution" is to go INTO SAID DEVICE's settings and disconnect it manually. But I don't have access to that because I obviously don't recognize the devices. And there's like 40+ of them!!

• Is there a setting that I can do from MY Xfinity App or Account to disconnect any devices that I don't recognize?

Yes, I already changed my password twice. But why isn't there an option to tell my account that this is a device that I don't recognize and I don't want to allow it to connect to my home network?

It keeps telling me so cheekily "Let's create a profile for Carter!". Who th is Carter???

The only "workaround" that I came up with is to create a Profile and named it "Unknown". And I have to assign each device that I don't recognize to this "person" and pause them. Now I have about 30+ devices there. That's how many I keep getting notifications for saying "A new device connected to your network".

There must be a way to tell my account when it's a device I do NOT recognize and are not to be trusted. Or that I don't want to allow them to connect. Not today, and not ever. Don't suggest a profile to me. I want to block them or at least disconnect them instantly.

I looked everywhere but there is no helpful info whatsoever. If anyone knows of a good permanent solution, please advise.

UPDATE: I was recommended the "Forget Decive" option. But That DOESN'T Help At All!!

When I click on the device, the only option it gives me is "Assign to a person/profile". I have to click on Device Details to finally find that it's the very last option is Forget Device.

However, I didn't use this the first time because I'm worried that "Forget Device" would only disconnect them for the time being and that they can simply keep coming back and reconnecting. Which was CONFIRMED TO BE THE CASE. So this option is basically USELESS or at least doesn't solve my issue.

• Is there a setting that I can use to make it so I can manually approve new devices connecting? That would be way even more ideal.
    • If it's a device that I already assigned to the household, then yes, please let it auto-connect.
    • But if it's a whole new device, then please prompt me to manually allow or deny the connection.

If it's a guest that I know, I would like the option to allow them manually.

If it's someone I don't recognize, then I would like to deny the connection before it even happens.

Is there such a thing?

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

4 months ago

Perhaps your neighbors are inadvertently connecting to your network / gateway device via the MoCA feature that's built into the gateway device. MoCA (Multimedia Over Coax Alliance) is an alternate hardwired way to connect devices to a home network if ethernet cabling can not be used/run. It uses the existing coax cable wiring instead of ethernet cabling. 

If the MoCA feature is enabled, and you do not have a PoE (Point of Entry) MoCA filter installed on the coax line, yours, and your neighbor's gateway devices will be able to connect with each other like one big network. Disable it if you aren't using it. If you are, install a POE MoCA filter on the input port of the first splitter off of the street drop to keep the MoCA signal in your premises and to keep the neighbor's signals out. Your neighbors should also have PoE filters installed.

To disable MoCA on your device. First, unplug the coax cable line from the jack on the gateway device. Then go to the gateway login http://10.0.0.1   

Default login info is:
Username: admin (all lowercase)
Password: password

Once in you will find the drop-down on the left of the screen that is labeled “Connections”.

Click the drop down---> click MoCA---> right side of screen click “disable”---> save changes.

Bear in mind that we've seen many posts here that the MoCA feature gets turned back on with their overnight re-boots / updates for the device. The best policy is to be sure to use that PoE filter ! Amazon has them: https://www.amazon.com/SNLP-1GCW-Filter-Eliminate-Multi-Room-Interference/dp/B07SLD9QPH    

Or you may be able to get one for free at your local Comcast / Xfinity store. Or book a tech to come out and install one for you.

If you are not using the MoCA feature on your home network, you can put the PoE filter right at the back of your gateway device instead.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

4 months ago

Thank you for reaching out to us here @Amaranad. If you are still seeing a number of unauthorized devices connecting to your network you can also reach out to the customer security team at the https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/ site to report those unauthorized devices. 

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

4 months ago

@Amaranad 

Have you had a chance to see if their unsecured MoCA feature is the problem ?

(edited)

1 Message

20 days ago

ATTENTION XFINITY,

The same thing has been happening to me. I have a guest network and use a wifi extender. All of a sudden and for almost three months now I have had multiple unknown devices join my network and if I don't block their access immediately they download/upload hundreds of GB in a single day. YES, I have changed the password several times, makes no difference. For the last three months I have received notifications from Xfinity that I have used 90% of my data well before my month of usage is up. Could someone be mining bitcoin or something like that, near me and illegally connecting to my wifi?  Before this happened I never even used 1/2 of the data allowed in my plan. XFINITY, I feel that this is an issue that YOU CAN SOLVE. Please advise!

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

user_x47r4r Thanks for letting us know. I would be reaching out if I were in your shoes too. We have a devoted team that works with our Xfinity family on issues just like this. You can contact Xfinity's Customer Security Assurance (CSA) organization at (888) 565-4329. The CSA team is available 7 days a week from 8 AM–12 AM EST and handles security issues like phishing, spam, infected computers, and online fraud. 

In the future please start your own public post. That way you get get the help you need while making sure to follow our community guidelines. Thank you so much! :-)

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

18 days ago

@user_x47r4r 

Have you tried any of the MoCA advice given up thread to determine if this is a MoCA issue ?

1 Message

6 days ago

Having a similar issue here.  I just want a way to, at the very least, blacklist bad actors.  Ideally, allowing for a whitelist would be preferable.  On my router (an XB8), there's an option for managing devices, but the menu is replaced with nonsense about enabling parental controls on the app.  This clearly shows the capability is there, it's just being blocked by you guys. 

I'm fine with that is that means you replace this functionality with the app.  But if you're just removing the feature, I am very frustrated with that. 

Someone who has gained trust on the network can intrude and do whatever they please on OUR network, affecting OUR data and OUR devices.  I shouldn't have to reach out to a security team to get this done either.  I should have the capability and not be bound by the whims of a security agent.  I am paying for your hardware, I should be able to use what I am paying for.

Official Employee

• 

724 Messages

user_sjqorf Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

3 days ago

@user_sjqorf 

Have you tried any of the MoCA advice given up thread to determine if this is a MoCA issue ?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here