JJBC2002's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, September 19th, 2023 8:25 PM

Closed

Some Devices Unable to Connect to WiFi Gateway XB8 because of Wi-Fi Channels in Use Error

A few days ago 3 of my devices stopped connecting to WiFi at the same time, while my other devices are fine.

When it tries to connect it returns an “Unable to join the network -  This network is operating on Wi-Fi channels in use by other nearby networks.  Restarting your wireless router may allow it to automatically choose the best channel to use, and may resolve this problem.

I’ve downloaded a wifi scanner and there are other WiFis nearby using the same WiFi channels.  Since I have an XB8. I can’t manually update the WiFi channels to fix it.  I’ve restarted the gateway and it continues using the same WiFi Channel.  I called support and they say they can’t change the WiFi Channel on their side either. 

Those devices that are having issues connecting to my WiFi have no issues connecting with any other other WiFis.  I even re-enabled my xfinitywifi hotspot for my gatweay and have those devices connect to it temporarily to connect to the internet.  It is on a WiFi channel not in use by any other WiFis but on the same exact gateway.

How do I go about fixing this if the Xfinity Gateway isn't picking a new channel,  it is disabled in the admin tool, and Xfinity support can't make that change?  Why are only the newer gateways blocked from making these changes?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

1 year ago

Just in case someone has the same issue, this is how I was able to resolve it somewhat.  I did figure out that it was my 2.4 GHz wifi that was the problem. Since I have an Xfi Pod my wifi is not split out and all have the same network name.  When I disabled the 2.4 GHz wifi in the admin tool, my devices were then able to connect to wifi using the 5 GHz.  But I can't disable that Wi-Fi since most devices use that.

A Comcast tech stopped by to help resolve the issue and he suggested we try to lower the security mode from WPA3-Personal to WPA2.  Once that change was made the devices were able to connect to Wi-Fi automatically, however those devices were connecting to the 5 GHz and not trying to connect to 2.4 GHz anymore.   I've had the XB8 gateway for months and set to WPA3 and never had this issue till a few days ago. Not sure why lowering the security mode fixes or changes that.

Official Employee

• 

2.1K Messages

Hello, @JJBC2002! Thanks for taking the time to post on our thread about the devices not being able to connect. I have some Smart lights that can only connect to the 2.4 network so understand exactly where you are coming from. I am glad to hear you were able to get this fixed with the Technician's help. Here are the steps to take for this type of situation for everyone.

1. From a computer or device connected to the Gateway, open an internet browser and access the Admin Tool at http://10.0.0.1.
2. Once logged in, select Connection and then Wi-Fi.
3. Select EDIT at the end of the row for the 5 GHz Frequency Band.
4. Select Disable and then SAVE SETTINGS.
5. Complete setup of the WiFi device(s) using the device’s app
6. Go back into the Admin Tool and re-enable the 5 GHz band. It’s important that you re-enable the 5 GHz band to keep your WiFi network functioning optimally. Xfinity xFi Pods will remain offline until both bands are enabled. 

Do you have any further questions for our team? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

WILL THE PROBLEM RESOLVE ON IT'S OWN?   

I'M VERY COMPUTER ILLITERATE AND SO AFRAID OF MAKING MATTERS WORSE.

THE INTERNET IS WORKING FINE ON MY ANDROID COMPUTER, IT'S ONLY MY IPAD THAT'S HAVING THIS PROBLEM.

IF I TAKE MY IPAD TO AN XFINITY STORE WILL THEY BE ABLE TO FIX THIS PROBLEM?

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi, @user_1wbvgj. I see you are having a similar issue on your end. I understand you aren't too familiar with the settings or how to make any updates on your end. You could visit the store, however, it'd be best to troubleshoot this while you home. This way we test the results while you are online. We'll be glad to provide some assistance here. Can you confirm if you're also using a Xfinity Gateway (router/modem combo)? If so, do you share the same Wi-Fi name and password for all your devices?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

@XfinityRay​ It’s not even letting me log in, as it keeps saying my username is incorrect. Why are multiple people even having this problem anyways?

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello @user_u6hqf7. Can you provide me the details of where you are having the login issue please? This tread is mainly about connecting certain devices to the Wi-Fi having problems, but you stated you are having a log in problem which would be different. Happy to help, but I need more information on what problem you are having please? It would also be helpful to create your own public post with the details, so we don't fill this unrelated post with information related to your problem please. 

1 Message

10 months ago

I cannot get into admin tool keeps telling me my ID is incorrect?

1 Message

10 months ago

I swapped in the xfinity app my WiFi “edit settings” and changed the security mode back to wpa2 

3 Messages

9 months ago

I've been losing my connection to my network for a week. I received this message a few day ago. I tried following Ray's advice, but when I get to step 3, the edit button is grayed, and I am not able to disable. Any ideas?

(edited)

2 Messages

9 months ago

This has been a persistent problem for me too for the last few months.  And it's getting worse.  My wifi signal cuts out many times a day. It's maddening.

1 Message

9 months ago

i had the same problem of wifi connecting to the computer but not to several older ipads and not to older iphone models.  i wanted to switch from att but the possible monetary savings with the comcast offer is not worth the hassle.  i shouldn't have to do a "work around " in the set up; particularly when this connectivity problem has obviously been identified for some time.    t in sacramento. 

1 Message

8 months ago

Keep getting this message. Got a new router today service was here. Now some devices connect some don’t. Very frustrated. 

This network is operating on Wi-Fi channels in use by several other nearby networks.

Restarting your wireless router may allow it to automatically choose the best channel to use, and may resolve this problem.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hey @user_670lrz,

Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Community Forums support page. We would be more than happy to look into any network issues you may be experiencing. Did you happen to use the same wireless network information on the modem when you swapped the devices?

3 Messages

I’m having the same issue and getting the same message. I moved and kept the same gateway / modem. I did use the same network name at first as I used to and that seemed to cause issues so I changed it but am still having some issues. Please help :(

Official Employee

• 

542 Messages

@user_p4b80j  Try the solution XfinityRay posted above. I'll post the details below:

1. From a computer or device connected to the Gateway, open an internet browser and access the Admin Tool at http://10.0.0.1.
2. Once logged in, select Connection and then Wi-Fi.
3. Select EDIT at the end of the row for the 5 GHz Frequency Band.
4. Select Disable and then SAVE SETTINGS.
5. Complete setup of the WiFi device(s) using the device’s app
6. Go back into the Admin Tool and re-enable the 5 GHz band. It’s important that you re-enable the 5 GHz band to keep your WiFi network functioning optimally. Xfinity xFi Pods will remain offline until both bands are enabled. 

1 Message

8 months ago

I am also getting this message and can no longer connect to wifi.  Does Xfinity have a solution, or do they plan to simply ignore their customers?

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi, @user_hcu1gf. I understand you are running into this issue as well. I see a few above have different situations. Can I have more details about when this occurred, what devices are impacted, and if your hardwired connections are also affected?

3 Messages

@XfinityVianney​ I moved and kept the same gateway / modem. I did use the same network name at first as I used to and that seemed to cause issues so I changed it but am still having some issues. My phone won’t connect to Wi-Fi and I get the message about multiple Wi-Fi channels /unable to join. It shows my device as “connected” but won’t actually connect.

3 Messages

Security mode also doesn’t seem to exist on my network either I only have the WPA2 option. Please reply more quickly.

3 Messages

8 months ago

I’m having same issue and can’t figure out how to speak to a representative for help either 

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

8 months ago

@user_y1wrqt 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks.

For future reference, it is better to submit your own post as it creates a ticket to get help, and posting on someone else's older thread can delay getting help.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here