U

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Mon, Oct 4, 2021 5:11 PM

Slow Internet after upgrade

We upgraded from 400 mbps to 800 mbps (with new router/modem) with no increase in speed on primary laptop.  That laptop was getting about 200 before upgrade and same now, sometimes less.  Technician gave old excuse that "many factors can influence actual speed" which I know, but there should be some significant increase.  Thoughts?

EG

Expert

• 

90.5K Messages

2 m ago

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer / device that is hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

With this test, we are trying to isolate this from being either a WiFi-only problem or a problem with the general connection to the Comcast system which would of course affect both. It's a good first step of troubleshooting before proceeding any further.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Laptop ports are firewire & UBS, gateway ports just big data ports.

Official Employee

• 

2.9K Messages

Hi, user_b557e6. Thank you for coming here to the community in search of support for the speed issue you're running into. I'm happy to see you've worked with my friend @EG! I would be glad to step in and see what else we can do to help you get to the bottom of the speed concern you're running into. I certainly understand expecting faster speed after you've upgraded.

Are you leasing a modem or are you using one you've purchased? Do you have the model number handy? In the meantime, if you have a moment, please also review the minimum system requirements for your new speed tier listed here: https://comca.st/2ZVGVI2.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Thank you!  Leasing, don't see model # but CMAC is [Edited: "Personal Information"].  Shape is upright Trapezoid, slanted on top.

(edited)

EG

Expert

• 

90.5K Messages

2 m ago

O/k well then I'm going to just go ahead and escalate this to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to confirm that the correct speed configuration file has been pushed to the modem. Good luck with it !

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@EG thank you!!!  Much appreciated.

Official Employee

• 

2.9K Messages

Perfect and have you completed speed tests on more than one device? If not, that's perfectly fine. Just looking to confirm either way.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Sorry for delay, I had a meeting.  Yes, two devices have differing results. 

Since upgrade Laptop gets about 118-264 mbps (about what it was or lower than before upgrade.  At different location with different provider, it's reliably well over 400). 

Since upgrade computer gets about 220-490 mbps (at times better after upgrade, but not consistently, sometimes lower speed since upgrade).

New to the Community?

Start Here