bearhntr's profile

New Poster

• 

19 Messages

Saturday, December 4th, 2021 12:57 AM

Closed

Residential customer - how to obtain personal (permanent) IPv6 Address

How do I get a personal (for home user) IPv6 prefix address which does not change?   I would like to setup IPv6 in my home - and while I can get it working 95%, COMCAST will randomly change my IPv6 Address assignment, and it kicks everything out the window.  

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

3 years ago

That is a good question! While this describes if you can or can't have one, there are a few details in there that you can look through to get some guidance! If you need any additional help, you can also send us a Direct Message with your first and last name. The message icon is located at the top right of the Community Forum page, clicking on the message icon will allow you to initiate a chat conversation with us directly. Please ensure you are sending your message to our 'Xfinity Support' handle. 

[edited to include correct contact steps]

(edited)

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

3 years ago

@XfinityJosephB 

That link is to the Reddit help platform. And modmail is a Reddit thing. These are the community forums.

(edited)

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

3 years ago

@bearhntr wrote;

How do I get a personal (for home user) IPv6 prefix address which does not change?   I would like to setup IPv6 in my home - and while I can get it working 95%, COMCAST will randomly change my IPv6 Address assignment, and it kicks everything out the window.  

You can't with residential class service. The IP's are dynamically assigned. Only business class subscribers can get statically assigned IP's

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

3 years ago

If you don't change your equipment, your IP address should hold up for quite awhile. My IPv4 hasn't changed July 2018. My IPv6 has been the same for at least 6-8 months (last time I wrote it down.)

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

@andyross

That may be for you but they stated this: " and while I can get it working 95%, COMCAST will randomly change my IPv6 Address assignment, and it kicks everything out the window.".... 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

New Poster

• 

19 Messages

@andyross ,

I am afraid that I must disagree.  I set this up - had it working and getting a 10/10 from the COMCAST IPv6 test page and 19/20 from here:  IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test (ipv6-test.com)

I would test it every day for more than a week.  Then one day I ran the tests again.  I got 4/10 from COMCAST page and 13/20 from the other.   My Domain Controller was also having fits with DNS Forwarder checks and Root Hint checks.  Also noticed that as DHCP records expired - they did not come back.  

I was using my pfSense system to handle the DHCP - as I could not get Server 2019 to hand out addresses properly and create AAAA and PTR records.  

I had recorded the IPv6 address what pfSense had for both the WAN and LAN ports.   I noticed that the WAN IPv6 had changed, but not the LAN port.  That should not have been a problem.  So I performed a resynch and then the IPv6 Address changed in the LAN port (which was given by COMCAST - as the LAN port in pfSense was 'tracking' the WAN port...meaning that COMCAST was giving me the LAN IPv6.  Not something that I had created or made static.  

Immediately after the refresh - I ran the COMCAST v6 test and got 10/10 and the other one was back to 19/20....I then started rebooting devices in my home and noticed they were now pulling IPv6 addresses from the new prefix.  This is not the first time this has happened - but this time happened with no interaction from me.  The first two times, I had power outage long enough to drain the UPS where my Cable Modem is plugged in - so it basically got rebooted, I then noticed the IPv6 addresses in pfSense had also changed.  

This is VERY LIKE COMCAST to not treat their residential customers with any merit - I mean there are more IPv6 addresses that every person on the planet for 4 generations could have their own address (including their dog, their cat, their goldfish and all their devices).  

It should be an easy request for a COMCAST RES customer to request one - if they wanted one.  

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@bearhntr. What @andyross is saying is true for most customers. Although it can change every 30 days, most users don't see a change for a while. Although we can't provide a fixed IPv6 we can do everything is our power to get you the best connection possible. Your T3 timeouts have spiked starting on 12/4 to now at 410 and FEC are spiking randomly. That points to a physical issue and I would be happy to send a technician out to check it out. If everything inside is good then we should check out the outside. Let me know if you would like to do that. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

19 Messages

@XfinityEthan 

Please explain what you are talking about T3 TIMEOUTS and FEC SPIKES - what is that???  

I am using the same setup (CABLE MODEM - I bought my own from your list of 'supported' modem) that I have been using for 9 years.  Nothing has changed there.  The only major change in my home was removing the NETGEAR ORBI as my router and replacing it with the pfSense box.  The ORBI is still here, but is in Access Point mode, as I only have one CABLE port in the entire house (in my Den - other end of the house from my office) and I have the ORBI and its Satellite to cover my house with WiFi - and provide Wired connections in my office - until I can get up in the attic and run CAT-6 to every room.

The last time I had any issues with my Internet - one of the COMCAST techs had installed a filter (in the box outside my home --  I should have reported this to the police when I called for service due to severe slow downs and drops - and the tech showed me this device).  Why COMCAST would do this - to force a customer to call in a service request, is beyond me.  Now I know I need to go out there and look for another 'said device' in the box on the side of my HOUSE (which I own).  Then placing a call to the local police and reporting a trespasser and notifying the FCC.  

I have been working from home since MAR 2020, so I know my usage has gone up - but the 300 MBPs I am paying for - I have never gotten that speed - speed tests of multiple version never show anything higher than 280.  

The modem is showing what it has always shown - as even though I bought my own - I know that COMCAST puts their own firmware on it.  I have masked part of the MAC and SERIAL (for security)....as well as my current Link-Local address. 

The modem shows DOCSIS 3.0 support - which is more than enough for 300 MBPs speed.  

DOCSIS 3.1 supports faster speeds, if you need that

Device Max download speed  Max upload speed Year released
DOCSIS 3.0 1Gbps 100Mbps 2006
DOCSIS 3.1 10Gbps 2Gbps 2013

The most significant difference between DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 is that the latter can support download speeds ten times faster than DOCSIS 3.0, up to 10Gbps. That's impressive, but unless you've got a particularly high-speed plan, that probably won't matter. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Thanks for the details and I appreciate your feedback. T3 timeout occurs when a ranging response is not received within 200 ms by the cable modem or are possible from bad time offsets, noisy upstream, or disconnected upstream. Upstream problems can contribute to T3 timeouts if a ranging request (RNG-REQ) message isn't received by the CMTS(Headend), therefor a response never gets sent back to the modem. In the end, this can cause slower speeds to upload and download and possibly problems with resets causing the IP to change. The FEC(Forward Error Correction) relates to errors found and these spikes are showing most likely due to the same reason for the T3 timeouts. A large majority of the time these are outside issues and we don't charge to come out and resolve outside issues. 280 Mbps is pretty good and 300 can even be possible, but that would have to checked by sending a technician out as the issue may be slowing it down. Normal amount of T3 timeouts is 0 -10 depending on the signal and any area issues. A visit is a great place to start based on what I see. You can send a direct message with your name and address to get it set up. 

Make sure you are signed in.

1. In the top right corner, you'll see a little chat icon(direct message) near the bell icon. 2. Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

2. Hit the compose button to the right of "conversations"

3. In the 'To' line, type "Xfinity Support" there. A drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list (an "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line)

4. Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

5. Press Enter to send it. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. Thanks!

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here