J

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, February 4th, 2023 11:11 PM

Closed

Printer Won't Connect - HP Envy 4500

I recently upgraded to a new gateway - XB8T. However, my HP Envy 4500 printer will not connect to the gateway at all. I have tried connecting via WPS to no avail. I have gone to the Admin page and turned OFF the 5 and 6 gHz connections and left on the 2.4 gHz and also tried that, to no avail. How can I get this printer to connect? I should not have to buy a new printer after upgrading Xfinity equipment.

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just had an XB8 installed and could not get my HP Office Jet Pro 8600 Plus to work. Kept giving me a MAC address filtering error.  Looking in other posts this has been a common problem with many closed discussions without any solution.  Solutions to split up the  2.4 and 5 Ghz bands did not work. 

However - this solution, from an HP forum poster, did work for me today:, March 7 2023

Go to the Xfinity mobile phone app (app recently installed in March of 2023)

Select "connect" at bottom of screen

Select "View or edit WiFi settings"

If you have split the bands by assigning a separate ID and Password for each band, then select the 2.4 GHz WiFi band (This is what I had done)

Go to the Security Mode box where if may say "WPA3-Personal-Transition" and change to "WPA2"

Then "Save"

Then redo the HP configuration wizard - it hopefully will now work.

Apparently the WPA3 came about in 2018, where my 8600 printer from 2012 likes the older WPA version. Whether or not updating the HP drivers would have resolved this - I do not know as I did not try this. At least this solution allows me put my old usb printer cable back in the drawer. There were some reported issues where some could not change the WPA setting because it was greyed out. I did not have this problem. It was greyed out when you first open the screen "Edit WIFi setting", however if you scroll down you can see the setting for 2.4GHz, 5GHz, 6Ghz where they are not greyed out.  If you are not seeing this - I would retry by reloading the latest Xfinity app on your smart phone. I do not have a pod extender and my XB8 is located on a lower floor from where my printer is.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@DFR_735230​   That fixed it for my 4500 printer.  Thanks!  

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@DFR_735230​ thank you, that fixed my issue with HP 8610 Printer!

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

That is great to hear, @user_71nova. I also want to thank @DFR_735230 for detailing their resolution for everyone else to learn from as well. This is exactly why the forums were created, and we appreciate the engagement and communication. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@DFR_735230​ 

changing wpa3 to wpa2 fixed my envy 4500 printer

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

5-month-old and marked solved dead thread is now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

Check your HP printer manual. There are other methods to connect.  Direct Wi-Fi can be used by computers and other devices.

Problem Solver

• 

606 Messages

2 years ago

@janko7777 I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with connecting you printer to the new modem. Have you tried manually connected the printer with the wifi settings? Is you service working otherwise? 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@XfinityDanielC​ 

Myra everything else is working on the network my hp envy 4500 I’ll reread the comments above to see if it can work

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Thank you!!! This worked for me.

Problem Solver

• 

393 Messages

@aladinsane Thank you for taking the time to let our Xfinity Forums Community know that the suggestions provided in this thread were able to resolve issues with connecting a printer to your Xfinity home network!

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here