U

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2024 9:53 PM

Closed

Port Forwarding

I have been trying to set up port forwarding for months on the Xfinity Gateway. It has taken more than 40 hours of my personal time and multiple trips to the Xfinity store. There is no option to enable port forwarding using the admin tool, and in the app the ports show they have been added yet they are not open. I previously had a gateway with this same issue, and a representative told me the issue was entirely on their end and managed to fix it. I was sent an "upgrade" for my gateway sometime later, and ran into the same issue. In trying to solve it again, I learned the upgrade was actually worse than the old gateway, and after resetting the old gateway port forwarding no longer worked on it either. I was asked to return both to the store for a new gateway and await a callback. The callback never came, so the store set up a ticket for me and scheduled another callback. I have not gotten that callback either, and now I cannot get in touch with the store by phone anymore (goes straight to voicemail).

Does anyone know if there's anything that can be done to get port forwarding working, other than buying non-Xfinity equipment? Additionally, I've seen this is a common issue, so is there an open petition or lawsuit with the FCC or BBB on this?

Official Employee

• 

473 Messages

19 days ago

user_2aybgi Are you still having port forwarding issues?

4 Messages

Official Employee

• 

473 Messages

Have you followed these steps?

ADD A PORT FORWARD WITH AN XFI GATEWAY
Open the Xfinity app and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password.
Select the WiFi tab.
Select View WiFi equipment.
Select Advanced settings.
Select Port forwarding from the menu.
Select Add Port Forward.
Note: If you've previously set up a port forward from your Gateway's Admin Tool (http://10.0.0.1), you should see it listed in the Port Forwarding Settings.
Choose the household device for the port forward you're setting up from the drop-down list of connected devices.
Note: If you don't see the device listed, it may not be connected to your home network.
Choose from the list of common applications to use a recommended, preset configuration (e.g., Xbox or PlayStation) or select Manual Setup to enter specific port numbers, ranges and/or protocols.
Select Apply Changes to complete the setup of the port forward.
The device you set up for this port forward can now use these settings.
Note: If you're unsure which port settings to choose, reference the device manual or the application you're trying to use.
Opening unnecessary ports isn't recommended, as it may pose a security risk.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

@XfinityVictor​ Yes, the port is shown as forwarded in the app. The port is not actually open, though. As for the admin tool, the section for port forwarding just redirects you to use the app, as in the screenshot on Xfinity's help page.

Official Employee

• 

854 Messages

Thank you for the confirmation @user_2aybgi. Is the port that is shown as open associated with a device? If it is associated with an incorrect device you can delete that through the app, or edit the association if needed. Also make sure you did not set a static IP for the device using the Gateway Admin page (10.0.0.1). If you did, the static IP should be removed, the Xfinity app will use the IP address from DHCP to set a static MAC bind and establish the port forward rule. Also  confirm that the device is using an IPv4 address to connect to the network and not an IPv6 address. The Xfinity app can only support port forwards for devices using IPv4 addresses.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

It is associated with a desktop, and the admin tool lists it as a reserved IP. The admin tool will not change it back to DHCP. The device has both an IPv4 and IPv6 address, as windows standard.

13 Messages

19 days ago

I've done every step to add a port forward to my reserved IP, within the DHCP range, and the port forward is shown through the xfinity app, but the port is closed. I am trying to turn off Advanced Security (not 100% sure it's on, but I think it is) but the instructions that say that is possible in the app by going Security -> Advanced Security is a lie because there are no settings for Advanced Security there, just a sales pitch for Advanced Security on the Go and instructions/steps to activate that (which I don't want!) As far as I can tell this "Advanced Security" stuff is just a way for Comcast/Xfinity to get their hands on our data and limit our choices on how we use our own internet connections.

(edited)

13 Messages

18 days ago

Whoever is moderating this thread and preventing my posts from being seen is a real piece of work and should be fired. I have a real problem, same as OP's, and my issue is not being fixed and OP has not said that their issue has been fixed or marked any posts as the correct answer to their problem. So where is the support?

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@clarkma5​ 

Start your own thread. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

13 Messages

@Again​ I just did, a second thread I will add because my first one regarding only the advanced security settings is also being ignored, and every user starting their own thread for the same problem that rather defeats the purpose of having a forum where users can talk about having the same issue. Whoever has been moderating this thread this whole time should be ashamed of themselves. Customer service at Xfinity is awful. It sure seems like this is all structured to ignore this issue and not provide support, and not guide customers to how to get support.

(edited)

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@clarkma5​ 

I have not been moderating this thread; I only just replied to you.

However, I am going to moderate it and close it to further replies.  You need to be patient and wait until an Official Employee replies to you.  For the most part this is not real time help.  You should get a notification whenever someone replies to you.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here