genterminl's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, March 31st, 2024 2:48 PM

Closed

port forwarding

I need to make a change to the port forwarding already set up on my xfinity gateway.  Going to the web interface of the gateway (10.0.0.1) and navigating to the port forwarding page (which used to work, years ago) points me to the xfinity web site, but clicking that link gives a message saying that web site is no longer in use, and I should use the app.  Using the app, the port forwarding page says that Something has gone wrong, and to try again later.  I have tried multiple times over multiple days, with the same result.  I spent an hour in a chat with support yesterday, and the agent simply kept repeating the instructions about how to set port forwarding using the app, apparently not understanding that it wasn't working for me.  At their direction, I unplugged/replugged the gatesway, with no change.  I then uninstalled/reinstalled the app, again, with no change.  I then searched here.  First, I see lots of similar posts about this problem, and I see no conclusive answer to any of them.  I also discovered a thread of conversation from myself, about nine months ago, for exactly the same problm.  I added a comment to that thread, and the reply was basically a threat to kick me off the forums for sending an unsolicited message.  Although there was a multi-month break, it seemed to me just a continuation of the old conversation, not something new.  Whatever.  Here I am posting a new topic.

Is it possible for me to see and change my port forwarding settings?  As far as I can tell, it SHOULD be possible using the app, but it simply doesn't work for me.  Does it work for anyone?

Official Solution

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

7 months ago

Hey @genterminl,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out so we can troubleshoot further with editing a port forward setting. I am glad we were able to get everything resolved and addressed for you. It was determined that the IP address for the port forward was IPv6. The Xfinity App can only support port forwards for devices using IPv4, so by disabling the IPv6 is what helps to ensure your changes are saved as needed. If you need any further assistance, the Xfinity Forum is available 24/7.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

7 months ago

@genterminl Thank you for reaching out to our community forum so we can make sure you're able to manage the ports on your internet network. When you try to make changes with the app, are you connected to your in-home Xfinity network?

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

I believe I have tried it both connected to the Xfinity wifi, and to a different wifi.  I will try again connected to the Xfinity wifi, and report back with the results.

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Connected wifi to the Xfinity gateway, and I still get the same "Something unexpected happened."

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

@genterminl I appreciate you giving that a try. Are you using a personal router alongside your Xfinity gateway or just the equipment from us? Is Bridge Mode enabled or disabled for the gateway? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

My phone is connected directly to the Xfinity Gateway, no separate router is connected.  I did use a separate router in the past, but it has been removed some time ago.  Bridge mode is disabled, and I believe has never been enabled.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

@genterminl Let's keep working on this together. Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address and I'll be happy to help.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

7 months ago

Did this issue really get resolved or is this some trick from Customer Service to hide the issue? Is there an official resolution for this? I used to be able to do port forwarding trough the Xfinity Assistant but they changed it so that now it redirects you to the web page which just tells you to use the app which just shows an error message when you click on port forward. Honestly I don't really care much at this point because this is the drop that motivated me to switch to a new ISP. [Edited: "Solicitation"]. It will take some work unfortunately but it is simply unacceptable that in 2024 needing to jump trough so many hoops to put a port forward, from having the best connection on a PlayStation to being able to do a remote desktop to your house. Xfinity is only good for the most basic of needs.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here