U

Saturday, April 27th, 2024 6:40 AM

Closed

Port forward not working even with advanced security off

I followed the instructions in the pinned post in this forum here https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/port-forwarding-for-wired-ethernet-device/65f21eca28b6ea6548a3525e entirely set up my port forward through the app, double checking to make sure it was for the right mac address (I disconnected my device from the network, waited for it to show as not connected, told xfinity to forget it in the app, went through the process of setting it to Reserved IP all over again, and then made the port forward again), the port forward shows as being set up but does not work, the port is still closed according to the app on my PC and according to outside services that check it.

I got "advanced security" turned off (another headache in its own right...) thinking that might fix the port forward, but it is still closed.

What do I do to make the port forward work? Advanced Security is off, the device is newly added with its IP reserved in the DHCP range prior to setting up a single port as forwarded, it shows as a port forward in the xfinity mobile app for that device and reserved IP, and still it is closed.

This conversation has been merged. Please refer the main conversation:

Disabling xfi advanced security - no settings to do so available in xfinity app

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

5 months ago

Hello again, @user_b1mtqp! Thanks for creating this post, too, regarding your port forwarding concerns. I'm glad that other user's post is available for reference! Have you also reviewed our articles for how to Set Up Port Forwarding On Your Xfinity Gateway and how to Set Up Port Forwarding Using the Xfinity App?

21 Messages

@XfinitySara​ I just read them now and see multiple issues with these instructions; they are, for the most part, not followable and are out of date, though parts of them are still useful. The 10.0.0.1 method does not work because it just tells you to use the app, there is no ability to enable port forwarding in 10.0.0.1 (oddly, those instructions which say you can do port forwarding via 10.0.0.1 clearly show a screenshot of the port forwarding screen that says to use the app...so the screenshot is accurate, the instructions are not as there is no ability to "enable", nothing is there to turn green, there is no "+Add Service", etc.)

Then to do it via the Xfinity app method, if you click Advanced Settings under the WiFi Equipment section of the WiFi tab, and then click Port Forwarding, the app just says "something went wrong". This has been a noted issue with the Xfinity app all over the internet, including on these forums, for years (I find posts online that are 3 years old stating that issue, so please note with your superiors that documentation should be updated, if at all possible)

The only way to get into Port Forwarding is via the Xfinity Chat Assistant, which is not documented anywhere officially but I have found it from other users on the internet. You tell chat assistant Port Forward and then select Network and then Open Advanced Settings and then Port Forwarding and then the app opens the Port Forwarding section. I just had a strange experience where even that didn't work (instead the app told me to download the app, while in the app, which was a new and unwelcome quirk...) but another attempt just worked so I can see that my Port Forward is setup still in the app, though I had to turn off Advanced Security again because it turned itself back on without my permission...

However, once I am in to Port Forwarding via the Chat Assistant method, I followed the relevant portions of the instructions thoroughly, and also did additional steps not in those instructions to make sure a previous port forward would not interfere with my current attempt. My device (desktop PC, hardwired to the gateway via a switch) has a reserved IP associated with its current MAC address, within the DHCP range of 2 to 253, the MAC address is not randomized in any way, the app says the port I selected (which is a single 4-digit number in the 4000s range I chose to not conflict with any common applications, to the best of my knowledge and research) is open for that device/MAC address on that reserved IP. But it is not open. I had a port forward on this PC that worked until last week, but because I reinstalled windows 10 on a new drive in that otherwise-identical PC, the MAC address did change, so I went to the trouble to disconnect my device from the network, wait for it to no longer be listed under connected devices in the Xfinity app, told the gateway to forget the device via the app, plugged my PC back in to the network again, waited for it to be shown as a connected device, turned off the Reserved IP and set it back to DHCP in the gateway 10.0.0.1 (which just assigned it the same IP it had before...), set it all back up again fresh as a Reserved IP in the gateway, made a new Port Forward for the device in the Xfinity app, and the Port Forward is shown as valid and working in the Xfinity app, but the port is not open. I then made sure Advanced Security is entirely disabled, as the instructions state, and the Port Forward is still not working.

My IPv4 gateway firewall is set to the minimum level which means IDS is on and IPv4 only blocks IDENT (Port 113), but IPv6 firewall is on Typical Security which means IDS is on and "Block unrelated traffic". I have not changed these settings for ages and I repeat that a port forward worked on my PC on the same IP address until last week, and since Port Forwarding is IPv4 only I am assuming/hoping that the firewall is not the cause of this, but please confirm if you can.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@user_b1mt1qp - Let's see if we can get a ticket submitted for this port forwarding concern. Could you please send our team a direct message to get started?

To send a direct message: 

• Ensure you are first signed in, then you will see a chat box icon at the top right of your page. Click that or follow this link here: https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 
  • From there, click the 'New Message' icon. In the 'To' field, type 'Xfinity Support'. 
  • Type your message in the text area that appears at the bottom of the window and hit enter to send. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. 

To expedite your request, we ask that you please include your name and the service address alongside a detailed summary of your request/question. Thank you!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

21 Messages

@XfinitySara​ Thank you, I am expecting a call from Xfinity's security division today or monday as response to my FCC complaint on the matter, I am optimistic that will address my issue based on the person I just spoke to who called me about Promotional Guidelines and Billing, but may follow up with the DM approach if needed, and will probably post here if my matter is resolved and how that was done otherwise.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

user_b1mtqp You're welcome! I'll check back in on Monday for the progress. I hope you have a great weekend, and we'll chat soon! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here