T

Friday, July 19th, 2024 7:41 PM

ping spikes

My ping to video games is usually pretty consistently at 30-60 but since about 3 days ago it spikes up to ~400 every few seconds, I've restarted my router, I've tried practically every online fix I could try yet it still randomly spikes. This issue doesn't occur with a computer that has ethernet, but I also know it's not my wifi receiver, as every mobile device in the house also suffers from this issue, though it doesn't impact them quite as much.
I'm using a third party ping test as an example, obviously not quite as trustworthy but it shows what's been happening pretty well. (and no it's not because of the region)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

2 months ago

Thank you for reaching out! I understand how frustrating it must be to experience these ping spikes during your gaming sessions. I appreciate the detailed information you've provided. Let's work together to get this resolved.

The Xfinity App is also a great resource to review any network details or check if we may have any issues in the area. The app has a lot of troubleshooting resources with links to our website, where you'll find additional help articles.

Could you please answer a few questions to help us diagnose the issue better?

1. Have there been any recent changes to your network setup or new devices added to your network?
  2. Are there specific times of day when the ping spikes are more frequent?
  3. Have you noticed any issues with other internet activities, such as streaming or browsing? Any speed issues that you've seen?
  4. Are you using your own modem and router, an Xfinity Gateway, or a Gateway plus your own router? 

Your responses will help us identify the root cause and give us the best solution for a smoother gaming experience. Please circle back with any recent changes or updates you've seen as well. We are here to help. 

7 Messages

1. No, nothing changed.
2. It's constant, all day and all night as far as I have tested
3. There's no issue with download speeds as far as I can tell
4. I'm using an Xfinity Gateway
There have been no reported outages in my area, I've tried everything I can on the mobile app, and exhausted all options related to my issue with the "assistant"

Official Employee

• 

860 Messages

@TacoGames Do you happen to have a device uploading to the cloud regularly like a photo or drive backup? I had a similar issue that turned out to be a bandwidth issue while photos were being uploaded to a cloud server.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

7 Messages

No, there is no cloud uploading software running anywhere in my household.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Are you able to run a speed test and share the outcome of it? It may also be the servers to that game as well, have you reached out to gaming site?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

7 Messages

The issue isn't the game servers, as it happens with everything I try to play, and I am now having issues even on an ethernet connected device.

7 Messages

1 month ago

Got this email a few days ago, received no confirmation or notification on whether it was actually done or not

and im still having the same issue
it's slightly better than it was before but the fact that I'm still having the issue despite it having been "fixed" is irritating at best

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

TacoGames The images you provided did not load, could you provide a summary or try and send those again? 

7 Messages

It just says that they did find an issue in my area that would cause issues such as "Extended lag or interruption while gaming" and that they would send a technician the same day they sent the email (which was July 22nd) but it doesn't seem like they fixed it because I'm still having issues.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

TacoGames thank you for letting us know. Let us take a closer look for you. If you could send our team a direct message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. To send a Direct Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a direct message.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here