S

Monday, May 27th, 2024 6:07 PM

Personal modem & Comcast modem, router won't get internet when modem is in Bridge mode

My personal Nighthawk CM1200 had been working for a couple of years at my old house (different ISP). I recently moved to Florida, and the modem activated on Comcast and worked for about 6 months. About 6 weeks ago Comcast notified me of some infrastructure updates in my area to prepare for multi-gig service offerings at some point in the future (my service still is, and was 1 gb). The morning of the upgrade in my neighborhood, I was using my network up to the min that they cut service. For me, the service never came back when they texted that the work was complete. I have had many techs out to look at this problem, here is what we know:

The Pole to my house wires were replaced out of precaution. The signal was slightly high, so they added a splitter to knock it down a couple of db which got me inside the range I needed to be in. What we figured out on the first tech visit was my Router would get internet through my personal CM1200 modem anymore (yes we rebooted everything in a variety of combinations). I could connect a PC directly to my modem and have internet. So they now blamed my Router that worked before the update. So I grabbed a spare common Linksys consumer router, which also would not get internet through my personal modem. But I still had internet when the PC is directly connected to the modem.

This is when I went out and bought a brand-new modem. Had another tech come out to the house. We activated the new modem and rebooted it all the ways that the tech in my house asked me to. I still get the same result! Both routers can't get internet through this new modem, but a PC directly connected to my new Modem gets internet. In that same Tech visit, we then activated Comcast XB8 modem. It worked at first, but I get the same issue after we enabled Bridge Mode. Once Bridge Mode was enabled on the Comcast modem, the router can't get internet. But a PC directly connected to the modem gets internet. So 3 techs, 3 modems (one is Comcast) and 2 routers, all doing the same thing. This is when that tech "had me speak to his boss to get an engineering case going". I found out days later that there was no case started and nobody can see any comments about it in my account. Not impressed, hoping we can do better on this forum.

I started up my Starlink system with Bridge Mode on that modem, and my existing Router works as it always did. Starlink is expensive and not ideal, but this should prove it's not the network. Something between Bridge Mode and the Comcast internet side is causing my Cisco Router to say this:

2024-04-17T13:51:01-04:00 <error>asdclient: Last message ' ASD Client failed t' repeated 5 times
2024-04-17T13:46:01-04:00 <error>asdclient: ASD Client failed to get access token.
2024-04-17T13:36:49-04:00 <notice>system: device booted with active firmware version: X.X.XX.XX       <----masked detail for privacy
2024-04-17T13:36:47-04:00 <notice>system: argument:all
2024-04-17T13:36:47-04:00 <notice>system: ##Checking lanwancheck work around Here
2024-04-17T13:35:47-04:00 <notice>system: argument:
2024-04-17T13:35:45-04:00 <notice>system: #Checking lanwancheck work around Here
2024-04-17T13:35:03-04:00 <notice>netifd: Interface 'wan1' has link connectivity               <-----WAN 1 was the only internet connection at this time
2024-04-17T13:35:02-04:00 <notice>netifd: Interface 'wan2' has link connectivity loss
2024-04-17T13:35:01-04:00 <notice>netifd: Interface 'wan1' has link connectivity loss
2024-04-17T13:35:00-04:00 <notice>netifd: Interface 'wan2' has link connectivity 
2024-04-17T13:35:00-04:00 <notice>netifd: Interface 'wan1' has link connectivity 

Now, you might be thinking the easy way out "don't enable bridge mode". That is how I have been working for a few weeks, for now. But the issue is that I now have a network behind a network "Double NAT" situation where I can no longer reach my media PC remotely. The "Double NAT" is the Comcast modem (NOT in Bridge Mode) acting as one network, then my Home Network is behind that.

I understand IP reservations and Port forwarding. With some time invested, I can make Plex work, but I can't select a custom port number anymore (not ideal to have a known popular port open). But "Roon ARC" won't connect, served from the same PC that Plex runs on (all worked for over a year before this issue). I have spent a ton of time on this, we are 6 weeks out from issue start. the 4/17/24 date seen in the logs is the date on my third Comcast service appointment, the one where his boss was "opening an engineering case".

The reason for this post here is that these applications have worked without issue on Comcast, in this house, and the same network on my Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 modem for 6 months. This was before the Comcast multi gig upgrades to my area. If I understand it right, personal modems run in a "Bridge Mode" type of way.  If I could use Bridge Mode even with the Comcast XB8 modem, this wouldn't even be a post. The issue is I need to remove one of these NATs to get back to normal, and I am not removing my personal network. I'd love to solve the root issue and get back to normal use. I get that this is advanced, can you help?

Official Employee

• 

376 Messages

4 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to our team of experts on Forums, @SheldonC! Just to make sure, you are connecting your new router in to port 1, correct? 

6 Messages

Yes, the Xfinity tech made sure of that. 

I want to be very clear that this worked until Xfinity made an upgrade in my area. I assure you the cables in my house stayed the same during that day. The problem is in the Xfinity side that does not allow Bridge mode anymore. 

My logs clearly show connectivity "'wan1' has link connectivity" and where your system is blocking it "ASD Client failed to get access token."

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Thank you for your feedback, SheldonC. A benefit to choosing Xfinity is that you're able to purchase and use your own equipment, or, use an Xfinity Gateway. This article goes over how you're able to use Bridge mode on your wireless gateway. The Netgear CM1200 is listed on devices that will work with Xfinity. Have you contacted Netgear support for further troubleshooting?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

6 Messages

Did you even read my post? I clearly state that Bridge Mode operation is not working after neighborhood upgrade.

This needs someone who will listen to the fact that when Bridge Mode is set, I lose internet. Even with your Comcast Modem. Something on the Comcast side changed during your Multi Gig upgrade that does not allow Bridge Mode anymore. That is why the Netgear CM1200 modem does not work, it only works in Bridge Mode.

I need a Comcast Engineer who can look much deeper at this issue. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hi there, @SheldonC thank you for taking the time to reach back out regarding when Bridge Mode is set you loose Internet connectivity even with the Xfinity Gateway. Since it's been a few days since you last posted, are you still having connectivity issues when you are on Bridge Mode?-Richard

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

6 Messages

I just activated Bridge Mode for you today, 6/7/24, at 6 pm, and I lost internet again. Lets review:

Rebooting does not fix this

Replacing my Router does not fix it

Replacing my Ethernet cables does not fix it

Replacing my Supported Netgear CM1200 modem doesn't work (yes 2 of these modems, one worked for months on Comcast before your upgrade)

The Xfinity XB8 Modem loses internet in Bridge Mode, just like the Netgear modem

I am using Port 1 on the Xfinity modem

Activating Bridge Mode does not fix Bridge Mode, it causes loss of internet

Also, my new Starlink system connects perfectly to my whole network in Bridge Mode. The only issue is the Comcast connection. When can we move on to the next step? Seven weeks out, and with no engineering case or escalation to fix this, it has not been resolved on its own. I hope you realize how silly this thread is looking for Comcast support. Can we please open an engineering case?

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to call Comcast support to get my modem out of Bridge Mode. 

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here