funcl's profile

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Monday, August 19th, 2024 10:57 PM

Packet Loss

For about a couple of weeks, I've been having a packet loss issue.  When I "ping -t www.comcast.net -n 50", I get around 10% loss.  I get the same issue when I ping anywhere else.

I thought it's because my modem/router is getting old, so I just purchased a new modem/router and set it up today.  But I still get the same packet loss issue.

I then thought to ask my sister who lives around the block and has Xfinity.  She does have the packet loss when pinging www.comcast.net also.  So, this issue is not just my house.  

I tried to contact the support, but only an automated chat is available and it doesn't help.  Please let me know where I can start to fix this issue.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

1 month ago

Thanks for posting on our Community Forums, funcl. I'm sorry to hear about the packet loss issue you have been experiencing. We can take a look at the signal on our end and see what can be done to correct this. 

Could you please send our team a Direct Message with your name and service address? Our team can take a further look at this issue.

To send a Direct Message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Messaging chat" icon

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list that appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Thank you!  I will send a direct message.

3 Messages

@XfinityDilary​ Is this issue still being looked into?

I see packet loss of 80%  on this server and it keeps getting worse.
be-306-ar-in05.d1stonemtn.ga.atlanta.comcast.net 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@user_wmdqfk  Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding the packet loss. I would be more than happy to offer my assistance looking into this further for you. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Direct Message":
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

1 month ago

I wanted to add a bit more information. 

I logged the ping using a ping monitoring tool.  The ping/packet loss doesn't occur through out the whole day.  It comes in a several waves.

The above is a log from 8/21/2024.  There was a pretty bad one at around 10 AM.  Then it was fine until a bit after 5 PM.  It's really unstable between 5 PM and 8 PM.  

The above is a report generated by the ping monitoring tool I used.  The report is created in a 5 minutes interval.  This report is from 7:14 PM to 7:19 PM on 8/21/2024.  During this 5 minutes, the average packet loss was 16.66%.  But if you look at the shorter window, like the second screenshot on my first post (34% packet loss), it can be much higher.  I've seen packet loss as high as 70%+.  I work remotely and my son plays online games, the packet loss this high is really unbearable.

Also, as I mentioned in my first post, this is not just my house.  My sister who lives in the same neighborhood is experiencing the same thing.  Each wave is about 10 minute long.  So, when it started at my place, I called my sister to check the ping, and she had 8% ping loss.  So, I believe this is happening in a range of location.  Not just my house.

3 Messages

12 days ago

Hi,
I am having high packet loss and it's affecting my online experience with dropped frames

be-306-ar-in05.d1stonemtn.ga.atlanta.comcast.net 80%+ packet loss

be-303-cr13.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net 50%+ packet loss

I searched the Xfinity forums and others had the same issue over a year ago and it's still bad or the packet loss has returned.
https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/packet-loss-on-xfinity-network-in-atlanta/65395fe377679f48f5bbfc95

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

@user_wmdqfk​ Thanks for the info.  My issue is still being worked on.  I will update once it gets fixed.

3 Messages

Hi,

After Hurricane Helene I have very low to no packet loss.

Host                                                                                                                                                       Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev

3. po-308-394-rur202.s3ndigital.ga.atlanta.comcast.net                                               0.0%   282   14.7  14.5  10.9  61.1   5.2
 4. po-2-rur201.s3ndigital.ga.atlanta.comcast.net                                                              0.0%   282   12.2  14.6  10.8 103.6   7.9
 5. po-200-xar01.s3ndigital.ga.atlanta.comcast.net                                                           0.0%   282   11.8  15.7  10.6 106.3  11.4
 6. po-2-xar02.s3ndigital.ga.atlanta.comcast.net                                                                0.0%   282   12.5  15.1  10.6  84.4   7.5
 7. be-306-ar-in05.d1stonemtn.ga.atlanta.comcast.net                                                   0.0%   282   15.4  15.8  12.1  96.0   5.8
 8. be-1305-ar-sp03.d1stonemtn.ga.atlanta.comcast.net                                                0.0%   282   12.6  16.9  12.0 109.2  10.2
 9. be-33031-cs03.doraville.ga.ibone.comcast.net                                                             0.0%   282   13.4  17.1  12.7  96.0   9.4
10. be-3411-pe11.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net                                                                 1.4%    282   29.8  28.6  25.8  42.3   3.5

I also see it doesn't appear to be routing through Marietta.

be-303-cr13.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net 50%+ packet loss

and

7. be-306-ar-in05.d1stonemtn.ga.atlanta.comcast.net                                                   0.0%

shows 0% packet loss

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank yo,u, @user_wmdqfk for your time and patience. I'll be more than happy to look further into your concerns, can you please send me a DM with your full first and last name along with your full service address so that I can assist you further.-Richard

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

12 days ago

@user_wmdqfk 

Sending an unrequested direct message to the support team is a violation of their forum guidelines.

Please see this post about direct messaging the support team;

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/getting-started/direct-message/6445fb0eb9339b2013e8ff9c?commentId=6446bf50b9339b2013e93478  

(edited)

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

@EG​ Thanks for the info.  I edited my reply.

(edited)

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

4 days ago

@funcl 

No worries. Good luck !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here