kmpBoston's profile

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, September 3rd, 2024 5:36 PM

One last try with MB8611, then what?

Hi all,

I've been following the discussions here among others who purchased the Motorola MB8611, I too am having problems that multiply whenever the modem installs the 21.3.7 firmware.

I'm an IT infrastructure architect, not primarily specialized in networking but it's part of what I do.  Many of my recent projects have involved monitoring - so I probably have better data on the unit than most - but that hasn't led me to any solutions.  I have metrics on s/n ratio, upstream/downstream power, availability/uptime, channel allocation - anything I've been able to get out of the (undocumented API) (which only works with the 19.2.18 firmware, by the way). Here's an example:

I'm not talking about WiFi, nor is my router an issue, as that was replaced six months ago with a unit with 1.8Gb/s throughput and a 2.5Gb/s Ethernet ports.

The thing has been getting less and less stable; I'm not interested in trying to collect more data but it's interfering with my wife's work and mine and I'm willing to share what I have with anyone with any ideas for one more attempt to get this to work before tossing it out.  I'd like to offer anyone from Comcast the opportunity to show that they actually are customer-focused, because I'm just not a happy customer (nor, as far as I can see are many posting here).

If there's no way to make this work, I have questions about what to replace it with.  First of all, the MB8611 was previously recommended, but apparently has fallen out of this category - and I'm aware that the manufacturer has had issues. 

Second, there is a list of "Recommended" devices - most of which are combo WiFi or support voice - neither of which are suitable as I have these already covered.  There is also a list of the "Next Gen Speed Tier" modems, but only one modem is on both lists as of today (the CODA56).  Why does Comcast not recommend the faster modems?

Third, speaking of "Next Gen Speed Tier", I understand that these refer to modems that can use the new "Mid/High-split" connectivity.  However, while I received an email from Comcast indicating that my area now had access to "5-10x faster upload speeds", the offer is problematic for several reasons - it was mentioned here that there's a process for qualifying the neighborhood for this, and any notice that it was supported would have the literal "Mid/High-split" phrase in it, which that email does not.  And there was text in the mail highlighted as if to denote a link, but it was simply text formatting.  And no way to find our more information.  So - how do I learn the capacity of the network connection in my neighborhood (or multi-family building)? 

Finally, while I've given up on buying a modem to last more than 3-4 years, what is the future of DOCSIS 3.1 vs. DOCSIS 4?  Every speed claim is accompanied by a disclaimer that "speeds vary". 

This isn't primarily a comment on speed: when it's operational, I get over 900Mb/s down and ~40Mb/s up - I'd like faster upload, and that goes back to my question on Mid/High-split - but if there's a firmware component to this with my current modem it's not going to help.

This has been a good project to play with some new technologies, but I need to get my connection stable.  Many thanks in advance to anyone at Comcast or in the community with ideas, and I'll commit to share back whatever I learn/do. 

Accepted Solution

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

13 hours ago

So, here's a follow up...

Thanks to everyone who contributed here and provided information.

I eventually purchased and installed an Arris S34.  I haven't been able to determine how to get stats out of it into any sort of persistent monitoring solution, but it's performed flawlessly in the 3+ weeks I've had it running and I'm concluding this is the end of the travail with the MB8611.  At this point, I'd provisionally recommend the Arris; setup was easy and so far - so good.

While I appreciate the individuals who assisted me at Comcast, I'm seriously disappointed in your inability to quickly and efficiently pinpoint the problem.  It didn't have to go on this long, due to your inability to actually have someone familiar with your plant and these recommended devices to offer even the most glancing evaluation of my problem.  

One of your "customer commitments" is to respect my time, but I spent significant time and expertise to diagnose this problem, which was not matched with an appropriate response.  It's clear that none of the information that I worked to provide to resolve the issue was evaluated.  I took seriously the fact that anyone reasonably trained would locate a resource to review the unusually detailed data that I had collected; based on the runaround I got, you've failed here.

I'm disappointed in myself: I could have cut many hours of work by simply assuming that Comcast would be of no help here and condemning the MB8611 as incompatible or inoperative with my connection a month ago.  I guess all that I can do is offer that as a lesson for anyone else coming across this thread trying to deal with the same hardware.

At some point, I'll likely opt for one of the "Mid/High-split" options; hopefully my experience there will not be as frustrating as I've had with this problem.  I'm grateful for everyone in this forum - @user_939e87, and @nbelk4004 in particular - thanks to you guys.

Contributor

• 

16 Messages

1 month ago

You're already aware of the issues with Motorola & Minim who actually made the modem. There are very few customer owned modems that support the 'next gen' upload speed. I have a Motorola Docsis 3.0 modem which has been fine but I have a low rate plan, I don't need more. The Motorola has been great. In your case where you really need a reliable device I'd probably look at Netgear CM3000. That one has been reported by users to support the higher upload speeds. I've been interested in the Hitron cable modems but there have been reports of problems with the CODA56, both firmware and hardware. The firmware problem may be sorted - it's a pretty new device - the hardware problem seems to be a fabric or fiber heat sink that has failed (disintegrated) after a time and the device becomes intermittent under heavy load when the chip runs its warmest. If you go over to dslreports.com and look in the xfinity forum you'll find a discussion about these problems and alternatives. I don't know that it's widespread and others have had great luck with Hitron but if you're more concerned about function and reliability than price, the Hitron CODA56 may not be your best choice. Also, Xfinity has a list of devices that have proven most trouble free, the Hitron CODA is on that list, the CODA56 was and was removed last I knew.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

Hi there, thanks for the ideas - I'd actually forgotten about DSLReports.  

Because I've gotten paranoid about this, I would like to try to ensure that I have some way of monitoring it... I noticed that there were reports that the CODA56 management UI would only accept traffic from the 192.168.100.0/24 subnet, and having configured routing for that it's a pain.  And you're right about it being a new device.  But it's much less costly than the alternatives.  

I'm strongly considering the Arris S34, as my previous SB6120 never gave me any problems.  I wish I could figure out whether Arris has them in stock, as they don't indicated on their "store" page that they're fulfilling orders now.  But - to my question about "recommended" modems, the S33 is "recommended" but not the S34.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

1 month ago

@kmpBoston Hello there, I would like to start off by thank you for such a detailed post regarding your concerns with your unstable network. We haven't updated more options to our "Next Gen Speeds Tier" due to it only being available in certain places. Once the service has expanded, I'm sure our "recommended" list of equipment will increase.

I would be more than happy to take a look at your signal to see what we can do to stabilize your connectivity. I could also confirm if the "mid/split" service is available in your area since the email you received doesn't confirm if you have access to these new speeds.

Furthermore, the DOCSIS 4.0 will be capable of accommodating future network upgrades. The speeds may vary due to bandwidth limitations, network congestion, latency issues, and hardware or software inefficiencies. This could also be impacted by physical obstructions, or router placement.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

That'd be great.  Next steps?  I suspect you'll want account info; please let me know how to get this info to you and what else you need.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@kmpBoston Yes, sorry about that. Please send us a Direct Message with your full name and complete service address.

To start a Direct Message: Click "Sign in" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

25 days ago

Per the Xfinity employees’ signatures on their posts, I’m updating this so that “people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation”.  The issue is still not solved.  Unfortunately, the interaction in the Direct Message thread has not been as helpful as I would have expected given the comments here from the Xfinity team.

While it’s clear that people like @XfinityRaul looked at the information that I provided, no one in the DM thread appeared to do so.  I had to state the same information several times, they wanted over anything else to dispatch a tech to evaluate the problem.  I pointed out that they had data on how the modem was operating because the system collects telemetry from all of the connected modems but my impression is that no one was capable of operating outside their specific training. I also surmise that no one in the DM thread even read this thread.

They finally did dispatch a tech.  I can’t say anything bad about him, he did check the connection (though it looked to me like he ran a speed test - I could be wrong - rather than checking the signal levels).  Even before he performed any work he said that the signal was “perfect”  I’ll also give him credit for looking at the coax installed in my home and offering that there were segments that “didn’t look good” to him; he replaced two segments of coax and the splitter. 

And those metrics seem to have been positively affected since the call (the work occurred between 9 and 10; the break in the metrics is from the newer firmware not allowing data collection before restarted):

But it was outside his expertise to discuss the actual question: the modem rebooting and becoming unstable after the firmware is pushed from the Cable Modem plant to update the device to the 21.x version from the 19.2.x version.  He asked me to “give the installation a few days”, and in the 48+ hours that have passed, it’s clear that the modem is still unstable, exhibiting the same behavior.   The modem has rebooted itself five times today so far. 

The tech (as well as the team on the DM thread) several times suggested that I rent Comcast’s own “Gateway”.  Having even less control over my network isn’t acceptable, I’m more than qualified to manage and configure my own router, access points, telephony, and other services.  I’m not qualified/able to manage and configure my modem, because it’s a closed system; while it’s been an interesting technical challenge to get any metrics for my own box, it’s very obvious that Comcast has all the cards with respect to managing that unit. 

I own the modem, but can’t control it.  I was asked (in the DM) what the modem owner’s manual said about upgrading firmware, as if I could do so.  I can connect to the modem and see the current state, but none of the normal interfaces for managing a network device are made available (i.e., SNMP, syslog).  My career has been in environments where touching the hardware is the last thing you do - you monitor and use traps to find patterns and diagnose before you even think of picking up the toolkit.  Comcast certainly does this with their own network and most likely with their cable plant but because some large percentage of service issues require a tech, they don’t have any other way to respond. 

So the tech has been here.  I’m still losing connectivity frequently (including after 10 minutes composing this on the web page that disappeared when the last reset occurred).  As the title of this post asks: now what?

Official Employee

• 

775 Messages

Thank you so much for sharing all those details with us, kmpBoston. I know this has been a frustrating process, and we are happy the technician did complete some work at the location as it can be the simple things to cause signal concerns. At this time, we would recommend trying a different modem and/or reaching out to the manufacture of your own modem to further troubleshoot the cause with the firmware issues. 

I know you had mentioned the mid-split, if you did receive that email communication, your location has been upgraded. If you were to purchase one of the devices on the list, and you subscribe to the proper tier of services, you can take advantage of the Next Generation Speeds. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

22 days ago

This has been an issue for over two years (https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/mb8611-firmware/63886b8a39eb3658cfbb7083) with MB8611s even though they are still on the list of approved modems. As far as I can tell there has been no improvement in the stability of these devices and no official statement has been given about why Xfinity cannot/will not solve this issue or at least update their list of approved modems.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

16 Messages

21 days ago

The company that has made Motorola branded cable modems (Minim) is out of the cable modem business. Another company has licensed the brand from Lenovo (who owns the Motorola brand). They're supposed to support existing models I think but this is a pretty new development so it might take a bit for the new company to pick up where Minim left off.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here