thebus3677's profile

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, October 12th, 2021 1:49 PM

Closed

Not getting 1 GB speeds with Arris SB8200 (Supported Modem by Xfinity) - Docsis 3.1 continually switches between Green and Blue Light

Just switched to the 1GB plan and I rarely get more that 400mbps with ethernet wired.  I am getting 42mbps upload speeds so that appears to be working but the download speeds seem to be off.  The front light for receive is mainly green most of the time which means its connected to DOCSIS 3.0 but it should be Blue for 3.1.

My last 10 speed tests are as follows: 249mbps, 736, 915, 754, 857, 227, 221, 674, 892 and 295.  It jumps all over the place.  Help!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

3 years ago

You need to post your signal levels and event log to see if there is a problem there.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@andyross Where do I go for that?  Sorry for being naïve.

(edited)

Expert

• 

106.5K Messages

@thebus3677 

I'll tell you how......

Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1 

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Hmmm that doesn't work for me.

Expert

• 

106.5K Messages

@thebus3677 wrote: "Hmmm that doesn't work for me."

If there is a router in the mix here, try using a direct connection to the 8200. You'll need to power cycle / reboot the 8600 when you do.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

I tried a direct connection to the modem with my pc ethernet but the PC never found the internet.  I wasn't able to connect straight to the modem.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

@thebus3677 wrote: "Just switched to the 1GB plan ..."

Note that the SB8200 is NOT approved for Gigabit service ("Wired Download Speed: Up to 957 Mbps"). See https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@BruceW Right.  But shouldn't the speed be a little more consistent and not drop DOCSIS3.1 all the time?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

@thebus3677 wrote: "... shouldn't the speed be a little more consistent ..."

You'd think so, but using devices with speed tiers for which they are not approved tends to produce unexpected results.

When you say that http://192.168.100.1 "doesn't work", could you describe what happens when you click that link in a bit more detail? Any error messages?

(edited)

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@BruceW It says, "This site can’t be reached192.168.100.1 took too long to respond. Try: Checking the connection, Checking the proxy and the firewall, Running Windows Network Diagnostics"

I do have a route and did ipconfig to get the DNS there which worked and took me to my linksys router set-up but I don't see a place for downsteam, etc.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

The speed just fluctuates so much.  My last 4 tests were 254, 263, 223 and 305.  Earlier in the day it was anywhere from 237, 602, 826, 173, 509.  Xfinity keeps having me troubleshoot things but it's the same steps.  I am at my wits end.  I should be getting consistent speeds for what I am paying for (gig service).  Is there anyone that can help? 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

@thebus3677 What are you using for speedtesting? If you have a Windows computer, use the Ookla speedtest app you can find in the Microsoft store as it's the most direct and most consistent. Close any programs, and try to make sure nobody else is using any network data while it's running.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

@thebus3677 wrote: "... Xfinity keeps having me troubleshoot things but it's the same steps. ..."

Please see Internet Troubleshooting Tips. If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast take care of it, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or use one of the options on https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/. It's not likely they can fix the problem remotely. If not, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have their Service Protection Plan ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast rental device or anything outside your home you shouldn't be charged.

Also, you need to replace your modem with one approved for your speed tier, or switch to an Internet plan speed for which the device is approved.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here