mpeleg's profile

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

Tuesday, November 21st, 2023 6:11 PM

Closed

No Access to Port Forwarding - xfinity Modem - Windows Remote Desktop

I replaced my old Comcast modem that I've owned since 2008 with a newer Xfinity modem.   The new Xfinity modem isn't allowing Windows Remote Desktop to connect.

Normally I forward the appropriate port.  However, when I log into the Xfinity modem using a web browser and navigate to

Advanced > Port Forwarding

I'm given a bad link to follow.   This is the bad link I get when attempting to access port forwarding:  xfinity.com/myxfi 

This is far beyond the scope of what a chatbot can troubleshoot.   So, what now? 

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

11 months ago

The Gateway admin interface is crippled for a lot of functions on their gateways these days.  You'd have to do it from the phone app now, IF you can get that to work.

Exposing RDP directly to the internet isn't recommended by Microsoft, and hasn't been for decades.  They suggest using an SSL RD gateway product/appliance to handle the connection if you need it.  I'd suggest SSH tunnels or running your own VPN server instead, in place of their gateway product or a cloud front end to handle the connection.  Either Wireguard or OpenVPN are good products.  Both are free and opensource with free clients for everything.  No paid license required.  

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

11 months ago

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us. In order to set up port forwarding, you will need to use our awesome Xfinity app! I have posted some directions below, Give it a try and let us know if you have any issues or questions. 🙂

You can access the full document here: https://comca.st/3QUJQY8

xFi Users: Set Up Port Forwarding

HOW TO ADD A PORT FORWARD WITH AN XFI GATEWAY

1. Open the Xfinity app and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. Select the WiFi tab.
  3. Select View WiFi equipment.
  4. Select Advanced settings.
  5. Select Port forwarding from the menu.
  6. Select Add Port Forward.
    • Note: If you've previously set up a port forward from your Gateway's Admin Tool (https://comca.st/3SUk35d), you should see it listed in the Port Forwarding Settings.
  7. Choose the household device for the port forward you're setting up from the drop-down list of connected devices.
    • Note: If you don't see the device listed, it may not be connected to your home network.
  8. Choose from the list of common applications to use a recommended, preset configuration (e.g., Xbox or PlayStation) or select Manual Setup to enter specific port numbers, ranges and/or protocols.
  9. Select Apply Changes to complete the setup of the port forward.
  10. The device you set up for this port forward can now use these settings.
    • Note: If you're unsure which port settings to choose, reference the device manual or the application you're trying to use.
      • Opening unnecessary ports isn't recommended, as it may pose a security risk.

HOW TO EDIT OR DELETE A PORT FORWARD

1. Open the Xfinity app and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. Select the WiFi tab.
  3. Select View WiFi equipment.
  4. Select Advanced settings.
  5. Select Port forwarding. All existing port forwards will be listed here.
  6. Select Edit next to the port forward you wish to edit or delete.
  7. Select Delete this Port Forward at the bottom of the screen if removing, or Apply Changes after making edits.
    • Note: Port forwards without an associated device can’t be edited.
      • If you want to use an existing port forward that doesn’t have an associated device, you’ll need to delete it, and then create a new one by selecting Add Port Forward.

(edited)

2 Messages

Stop lying to the Customers, this doesn't work. There are countless forums and posts on other website about your mal practices with your handed out xfinity equipment.

Expert

• 

106.7K Messages

6 months ago

@user_1fcgws 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue (if you have one). Thanks. The original poster has not returned. 5-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

For future reference, it is better to submit your own post as it creates a ticket to get help, and posting on someone else's older thread can delay getting help.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here