samonty63's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, March 12th, 2024 4:17 PM

Closed

New Router Keeps Assigning Wrong ip addresses

I recently had an outage and following that connection issues started to happen. I went through the xfinity app and it advised my modem/router was out of date and could not keep up with my subscribed speeds. At "no extra charge" they would send a replacement. So 2 days later my Technicolor CGM4331 arrived and following the prompts from the app it installed seamlessly, or so I thought. This was on a Tuesday on the following Friday at 1:30 am all of our internet went down, sometimes the app would say there was an outage in our area and other times it would say our area was fine but or internet was still off line. Sometime Friday afternoon our internet was restored,(all other wired and Wi-Fi devices were fine), but our main PC would not connect to the internet, (this is a direct ethernet connection). Reboot Modem, blah blah. No change! While reviewing my connections I noticed my ip address for the PC did not have the same prefix as all of my other devices. It was set to "obtain ip address automatically) no mater how many times I rebooted PC or gateway there was no change. I even went to cmd prompt and ip release/renew. Still no change. Giving up in frustration I assigned a static ip address to my main PC that the router would accept and everything was fine.

Now here we are today, when I awoke this morning and picked up my iPad it was connected to Wi-Fi but there was no internet, when I examined the settings I could see that the wrong ip address was now incorrect on my iPad. I contacted CS the stupid virtual assistant forced a reboot of my gateway, after 1/2 hour of that distraction it finally gave me an 800# to call. I was on the phone with them for 2+ hours and nothing is solved.

I see now that my iPhone is doing the same thing, when I look at my "connected devices" list, my iPhone and iPad are listed as "connected" even though the iPad is turned off and the iPhone has the wi-Fi turned off. As a result I can not get the system to "forget" the devices to see if it will reset the license for the ip address.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

6 months ago

@samonty63 thanks for letting us know about your connection. When it comes to your home internet service typically you do not need to set up IP addresses to be connected as with home internet service a dynamic IP is automatically provided and if you start to change IP Addresses as you can see it could really cause connection issues. Are any of your devices able to connect online? 

2 Messages

2 months ago

Having a similar problem.  Set up a new 300Mbps Technicolor gateway.  Two wifi PCs connected.  One has an IP address of 10.0.0.xx, the other has an IP of 172.20.20.xx.  The Gateway is 10.0.0.1.  Where is the "172" address coming from?  I can't get these 2 pcs to communicate.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello, @user_1ikgz0. In a home network, dynamic IP addresses are allocated by your router and can change each time your computer boots up. So it's normal for two PCs to have different IP addresses, even if they’re in the same home.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 months ago

@XfinityRaul 

FWIW. That's not the issue. Of course it's "normal" for every device to have it's own IP address. But the addresses should all be on the same 10.x.x.x subnet. Where is the 172.x.x.x coming from ? I've never seen that before....

2 Messages

@EG​ I have no idea where the 172.x.x.x address came from!  Nothing on my end.  I finally created a static IP at the PC and the gateway.  Now I can see both PCs, the router, and network printer.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 months ago

I know. My comment was directed to the employee. Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the update !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here