J

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, February 17th, 2022 3:25 AM

Closed

Netgear Nighthawk CM2000

Anyone else have issues with modem not getting 1 Gig +services? 
I just hd a tech test coax an coax recieved over a 1 Gig on download but modem only outputs less than 900Mbps.
modem displays correct bootfile and latest firmware.

Any ideas? 

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

3 years ago

Hello @JoeMartino006, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us on our community forums. It really helps to know your bootfile is correct too! Are you seeing this 900 Mbps download speed on a wireless connection or a hardwired connection?

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Hardwired to the back of the modem.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

3 years ago

Do you know what category your ethernet cable is @JoeMartino006? With gigabit internet, the Cat5 and Cat5e ethernet cables are pushed past their recommended specs. To get closer speeds to your speed tier, we want to make sure the ethernet cable is a Cat6 or higher.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Correct, all my ethernet cables are Cat6.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Perfect, the Cat6 does fit the requirements to support gigabit internet. It is possible one or more of the cat6 cables need to be swapped out, however, if the cables are fairly new they are unlikely to be causing this issue.

How many devices are currently connected to your internet at this time @JoeMartino006?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Just one laptop to the back of the modem.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Thank you for confirming how many devices are connected @JoeMartino006. With only one device connected to your internet, there wouldn't be any other devices causing the internet to be slowed. The laptop itself may not be capable of achieving higher speed depending on its specs.

At this time, I'd like to double-check the signals going into your modem and make sure there are not any issues occurring in your area. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? 

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

No updates, still not getting anything above 900mbps.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Unless your laptop as an Ethernet port greater than 1 Gpbs, you would not be able to receive speeds over 900 Mbps a majority of the time. Unless you have a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port or higher, it is very rare to receive over 900 Mbps. Due to Ethernet overhead, actual download speeds are limited to 940 Mbps over a hardwired connection in perfect lab conditions with acceptable computer resources. Would you be able to perform a speed test by visiting our Xfinity Speed Test web portal to determine the speed being delivered to the modem? 

Expert

• 

106.5K Messages

3 years ago

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

900Mbps is Gig internet speed.  You aren't going to see 1G speed, there is network overhead and limits on ethernet ports etc.  What would you possibly need more than 900Mbps for lol?  Unless you have 50 users, all streaming 4k video, I wouldn't worry about it.  No one can use anywhere close to 1Gbps internet at home, that's for larger companies. Just makes you feel good to see a big number, I get it, but you aren't using even 1/4 of it at your best effort.

(edited)

Expert

• 

106.5K Messages

2 years ago

The original poster has not returned. 5-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here