bobk4's profile

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, January 25th, 2024 7:48 PM

Closed

Netgear CM2050V modem

Hi all!

I bought a Netgear CM2050V mode to take advantage of the high speeds available in my area (1200Mpbs up/200Mbps down). I'm not getting that! I've spent hours over the past several days with Comcast Tech Support (phone and chat). Eventually, Comcast declared that that modem is not suppported for their high speed plans. (The modem is advertised to be Comcast high speed compatible up to 2Gbps.) Netgear says they have no control over the programming that Comcast does on the modem. Thanks, everyone, but the customer is stuck in the middle again.

Buyer, beware!

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

7 months ago

Is your download speed as advertised, and only the upload speed not functioning correctly, or are both up and down lower than advertised? Is the CM2050V "fault" only in the new upload speed capability, which isn't available where I live anyway?

thanks

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I'm not the original poster, but I just got off of a multi-day XFinity customer service runaround on the same topic.  For me, the issue is the upload speeds, which are advertised to be 200Mbs at my address, and I'm seeing 40.  I get great download speeds (1Gbs or so).

Over the last couple of months I've received a bunch of emails from Comcast explaining/apologizing (without being specific about the reasoning) for the "Connectivity Issues" that might arise from the firmware.  A series of emails suggested, variously, that: I buy a new modem, do nothing, and accept a free onsite service visit.

I called customer service about the emails, and they, at various times over the last couple of days, variously suggested that I: get a new modem, call NetGear (NetGear says call Comcast), do nothing, get a service visit, get an *old* modem (a 16x4 Docsys 3.0 Netgear C7000V !!)), and most recently, do nothing again.

From what I can tell, XFinity pushed a new firmware version to the CM2050V's out there, that was supposed to enable better upload speeds.   It wasn't stable, and they rolled it back.  I've just looked at my modem, and it is indeed currently running the older firmware.

I'm a software guy, and I have no huge problem with the notion releasing buggy firmware and needing to roll it back (well, it doesn't happen when *I* write software, but hey ;0) ).

As a customer, though, I really can't believe how clueless the messaging has been, and how poorly this apparently know issue has been communicated to the tech support folks.

Yikes!

FWIW, my CM2050V's status page shows 32 downstream bonded channels, and 4 upstream.  The signal levels look great.

I'm about ready to let this go until someone says there is new firmware available, but part of me is curious if the current modem & firmware could be delivering better speeds if they actually let the thing use all 8 upstream channels...

Official Employee

• 

376 Messages

Hello @user_5bab2a! I apologize that you have had a poor experience. That is definitely not our intent. If you'd like me to look further into your issue, I'd be happy to. Please send us a direct message with your first/last name and full address. You can start by clicking the "direct message" icon on the upper right page of the forum page. Once you click on that, input our shared handle "Xfinity Support" to send us a direct message. If you're signed in to your forums profile and because you have already posted to the public page, you should have the option to do so.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

7 months ago

My download speed is about 920 Mbps, advertised is 1200. There is nothing on my network that can take advantage of the higher download speed. I bought the CM2050V primarily for higher download speed and secondarily for higher download speed.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hello @bobk4. Please follow this link https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2024-02-20_Full-List-of-Compatible-Devices.pdf to learn what devices can get those awesome new speeds.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

The Netgear CM2050V *IS* on the list of compatible devices, right? And, there aren't very many choices if you also have Xfinity Voice...

Official Employee

• 

767 Messages

bobk4 Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

7 months ago

I  also do not understand why Comcast cannot provide more info on the status of the Netgear CM2050V. This modem appears on a list of compatible modems and is the only one on the list with voice capability, at least when I bought mine..

My download speed is about 940 Mbps and this is acceptable to me. My upload is about 40 Mbps and I pay for 200 Mbps and this is not acceptable. I've waited for years to get faster upload speeds. Now that faster upload speeds are finally here, I cannot take advantage of the increased speed, only the high price.

I, too, spent many hours over several days, trying to figure out what was wrong. I have seen in the forums that Comcast believes that there is a hardware problem with the modem. Netgear says that they are aware of no issues with the modems and asked me for a name of some one at Comcast to talk to. I wish I had somebody's name!!

Some one else suggested getting a firmware upgrade from Netgear. Netgear does not provide firmware. They refer you to Comcast. On one of my chats with Comcast tech support, I asked when users could expect a firmware upgrade. The answer was soon, but maybe never.

Users are frustrated!! How about it, Comcast? Can some one provide some definitive answers about the status of the CM2050V? What exactly is the problem? When can we expect a firmware upgrade? I can't afford to buy a new modem every time Comcast changes its mind about what's compatible.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

7 months ago

I just signed up for X-voice. Before I got a new NG voice modem, I spoke with Xfinity support. According to them, the common error in the CM2050V was that for some reason, the modems were only receiving a partial update, resulting in a conflict between different versions of voice and data. I have no idea if this is so, of course. I'm installing the new modem on Wednesday (3/13) so I'll come back here and post performance and whether there are any issues with brand new instal.

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

5 months ago

My Netgear CM2050V modem has these events in its log. I have a number of entries marked "error" and "critical". I see at least two entries marked "software update failed". What can I do about these errors?

My recent error log entries:

Time Priority Description
Mon Apr 29 16:47:25 2024 (Critical (3)) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Mon Apr 29 09:04:46 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 22; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Mon Apr 29 08:59:24 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 20; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 11:29:48 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 5; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 11:29:29 2024 (Critical (3)) UCD invalid or channel unusable;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 11:29:22 2024 (Notice (6)) DS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 32; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 11:29:17 2024 (Notice (6)) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Time Not Established (Notice (6)) Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6
Time Not Established (Critical (3)) UCD invalid or channel unusable;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Time Not Established (Critical (3)) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 11:28:03 2024 (Notice (6)) SW download Successful - Via Config file
Sun Apr 28 11:27:16 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 5; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 11:27:15 2024 (Notice (6)) SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_v_cm2050vims_gigabit_c02.cm
Sun Apr 28 11:27:08 2024 (Critical (3)) UCD invalid or channel unusable;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 11:26:59 2024 (Notice (6)) DS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 32; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 11:26:54 2024 (Notice (6)) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Time Not Established (Critical (3)) UCD invalid or channel unusable;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Time Not Established (Critical (3)) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 06:36:46 2024 (Error (4)) SW upgrade Failed after download - SW File corruption
Sun Apr 28 06:36:30 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 5; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 06:36:29 2024 (Notice (6)) SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_v_cm2050vims_gigabit_c02.cm
Sun Apr 28 06:36:22 2024 (Critical (3)) UCD invalid or channel unusable;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 06:36:13 2024 (Notice (6)) DS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 32; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 28 06:36:08 2024 (Notice (6)) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sat Apr 20 11:54:04 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 22; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sat Apr 20 11:48:01 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 20; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Tue Apr 16 09:11:42 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 22; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Tue Apr 16 09:05:27 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 20; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 14 13:09:09 2024 (Critical (3)) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sat Apr 13 11:08:30 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 22; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sat Apr 13 11:06:02 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 20; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sat Apr 13 06:52:34 2024 (Critical (3)) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 07 01:36:45 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 22; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Sun Apr 07 01:34:56 2024 (Notice (6)) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 20; Chan ID: 193; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CMTS-MAC=[Edited: "Personal Information"];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Wed Apr 03 04:49:21 2024 (Error (4)) SW upgrade Failed before download - File not Present
Wed Apr 03 04:49:19 2024 (Notice (6)) SW Download INIT - Via NMS

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here