Gerry_D's profile

Contributor

• 

97 Messages

Friday, January 5th, 2024 4:53 AM

Closed

Faster internet speeds now available, until you backdated my modem.

My speeds were faster, then you invaded my home and equipment to back date software so it's slower than when I first installed a brand-new Nighthawk CM2050V.

I had no problems getting upload speeds slightly over 100 Mbps before 12/05/2023 in fact with speedtest.net it was 109.16 on 12.05/2023 on 10/16/2023 it was 119.58 Mbps.

Then you invaded my home and equipment to backdate the software on my modem to V2.01.03 even though it was operating very well.

On 01/01/2024 my upload speed was 64.59Mbps

Today, 01/04/2024, it tested at 86.11 Mbps.

I see nothing in our service agreement about you invading my home to backdate software that was operating effectively.

Are you getting kickback from the manufacturers of the following modems even though you originally suggested I buy the $350 modem I have?

Hiltron Technologies CODA  (Has no telephone port.)

Hiltron Technologies CODA56  (Has no telephone port.)

NETGEAR CM3000  (has built in wifi that I do not want, you force me to share my internet.)

NETGEAR CBR750 (has built in wifi that I do not want, you force me to share my internet.)

ARRIS SURFboard G54 (has built in wifi that I do not want, you force me to share my internet.)

I purchased a NETGEAR Nighthawk CM2050V.

Are you slowing down my internet because I will not share my internet via wifi with a built in wifi modem? Seems like that.

I have been a customer for over 20 years.

I am a Vietnam era veteran, a retired senior citizen, a widower, aged 72 and I had to scrimp with my fixed income to get this $350 modem that you DAMAGED.

So what kind of [Edited: "Language"] answer do you offer?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

8 months ago

@Gerry_D There is a defect with your NETGEAR CM2050V internet modem. NETGEAR is working on a software update that should fix the problem. Because the update may not be available for several months, we have taken steps in the interim to stabilize your connection and provide you with the best possible experience. These proactive measures should resolve your intermittent connectivity issues and provide you with fast speeds, but your modem may not achieve the full upstream speeds included in your Xfinity Internet package until the NETGEAR CM2050V software update is deployed.​

Contributor

• 

97 Messages

8 months ago

Like I said, there was no problem with my modem, I had NO connectivity issues, still the software was backdated.

READ MY MESSAGE THOUROUGHLY Pay particular attention to the speeds I had reported.

Now tell me there was a problem.

Maybe with "some" modems, but I had NOT detected a problem.

I still say you INVADED my property and my equipment for nefarious purposes as there was no problem before your invasion.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

8 months ago

Get em, Gerry_D.

They're pushing equipment you probably don't need.  They've done it to me.  They're telling me I'll get faster speeds with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.  I have the barebone internet service (80 mbps).  A new modem won't buy me a thing.

Their statements are, at least, in accurate.  I can't speak for their intent.

3 Messages

@user_2d0d82​ 

I have an Arris TM822G I purchased in 2017. It's given me loyal service (and still is). Xfinity lists my current modem as "incompatible", yet it appears to be working (or I couldn't post this very message).

As listed on Xfinity's devices page I've noticed there are definite ambiguities they aren't very clear on.

• an "incompatible" modem that sure seems like it's compatible

What would explain this is a phased switch to DOCSIS 3.1 technology and eventual expiration of support for DOCSIS 3.0. I believe this is what's happening but Xfinity's avoidance to using any sort of technical terminology on their site makes it easy to assume it solely for profit motive.

I've gotten the, "Replace your equipment to get faster download speeds" email many times and am finally in a perspective where it could be warranted. But I'm still suspicious.

Official Employee

• 

912 Messages

Hi there, @Teslamax! Incompatible modems could mean that while they are not "End Of Life", the device selected may not be able to handle the full bandwidth of the speed tier you are subscribed to. More details about this subject can be found here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

8 months ago

I contacted Netgear to ask about problems with the CM2050V and their tech support is willing to talk to some one at Comcast to find out what defects Comcast thinks there is with the CM2050V. Netgear isn't aware of any.

3 Messages

Thanks for pursuing an appreciated logical and technical approach! It's a welcome change from a lot of discourse I see in this day and age.

3 Messages

4 months ago

I am considering this modem so I’m curious how this turned out?

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

My upload speed is not what I'm paying for with the Netgear CM2050V. Still waiting for Comcast to update the modem's software. I've never heard from Comcast on when this might happen. My download speed is as expected.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

To ensure the most reliable experience, here's a list of devices we recommend based on their performance and compatibility with our Xfinity 10G Network. Devices listed under the Next Gen Speed Tier section are the devices that will receive higher upload speeds. We have no info to share as to when other certain models might be added in the future. The list does get updated as new devices are added. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here