ralphj43's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, September 3rd, 2024 4:54 PM

netgear 2050v cable modem

i have a read in some forums people are having trouble getting the faster speeds with this modem i wanted to make sure it was okay before i went out and purchased this one

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

16 days ago

The CM2050v had been approved for the new upload speeds for a few months last year, but then it was dropped from the list to provide "the best possible experience". See https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/faster-internet-speeds-now-available-until-you-backdated-my-modem/65978b4f2e4f0f284530df88?commentId=659a8be32e4f0f2845312956.

Realize that although Comcast calls some devices "Compatible" and some "Recommended", for all but a few devices those designations only mean "compatible/recommended for use with their Internet service", and not necessarily approved for the new upload speeds. See:

Also see the "All Compatible Devices" link near the bottom of https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices (at the moment it points to https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2024.08.14%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.pdf). The only retail devices compatible with the new higher upload speeds are the few "Next Gen" devices listed at the top of the PDF.

The Reddit link also lists other requirements for faster uploads speeds. Comcast could make all of this much clearer, but they have chosen not to do so.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

14 days ago

Hello and welcome to Comcast @ralphj43. Thank you so much for reaching out to us regarding the Netgear 2050v modem. Now we haven't seen any reports regarding this modem. You can actually list our link for Compatible Modem list. This list will show the compatible modems with our internet service. 

Expert

• 

106K Messages

14 days ago

@ralphj43  These are currently the only third-party / retail devices that they will provision for their Next Gen speeds;

(edited)

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Unfortunately they don't have any on the list that are voice capable. We really need a non-wfi, voice capable modem that support next gen speeds. The other option is they start allowing people to have two modems, one for voice and the other for internet. 

Expert

• 

106K Messages

14 days ago

@Maelman 

That's been allowed for as far back as I can remember.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@EG  That's interesting. Everything I've been reading has indicated they don't allow more than one modem, but based on this post I think that applies to using two modem for internet connectivity.  Can anyone comment on how you would do this from an account perspective? If I simply activate a new modem for internet, I'm assuming the voice capability of my current cm2050v would be deactivated along with the internet. Also, how would you access the UI of the voice modem since I'm assuming that you couldn't have both the voice and data modem hooked up to your network at the same time as both use 192.168.100.1 as an IP.  

Update... this thread talks about the process. It sounds like it's not easy to split the internet and phone service on to separate modems.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

@Maelman Thank you for reaching out to our community forum and I appreciate all the awesome tips, @EG and @BruceW :). There are many restrictions when it comes to setting up a single residence with more than one modem and it only works in select areas. When you rent a wireless gateway from Xfinity, you can enable Bridge Mode which allows all router capabilities to be handled by a separate router. Would this help you achieve the setup you're looking for? This would give you a non-WiFi, voice capable modem that supports our Next Generation speeds. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here