D

Thursday, August 22nd, 2024 12:10 AM

Need to get both TV and PC working

They came to install XFINITY yesterday and the PC is working great with my Netgear WIRED router.

Today I plugged in my TV to the Netgear ethernet cable and the only way the TV got connected is when I unplugged the computer from the Netgear.

How do I keep both the PC and the TV connected at the same time?

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106K Messages

29 days ago

You need a router to be connected to that straight cable modem so that you can have multiple devices connected simultaneously. Only one device at a time can be connected to that cable modem.

(edited)

OK i will connect a router, but I thought the NETGEAR modem had a router built in since it has five ethernet ports

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

Hey there, dan22222222222222222222, thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding your modem concerns. Were you able to get a router connected to see if that helped with the connection issues?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

@dan22222222222222222222​ 

Nope. Unless you got the model number wrong.. Google it...Did you mean a Netgear AC 1200 ?

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

29 days ago

What is the model number of the Netgear device ?

Thank you for your quick reply; the device is working fine, it is on the XFINITY approved device list:

NETGEAR MULTI-GIG SPEED CABLE MODEM Model CM1200

The question was how can i connect my TV and PC so they both work at the same time.  Right now I can only have one device working at a time.  To get the other device to work i need to unplug one then reboot.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

27 days ago

@dan22222222222222222222 

The CM1200 has 4 ethernet ports, but for all of them to be able to have simultaneous internet access, you would have to have 3 additional public / WAN IP addresses assigned to it by the Comcast system. And this is something that they phased out anyway.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here