T

Friday, August 9th, 2024 3:27 PM

modem issues? don't know what to do

Can someone from xfinity or with knowledge of this topic please explain to us what's going on here and possibly how to solve it?
On June 14th 2024 there was an xfinity outage that xfinity called "upgrading services in your neighborhood" (they gave us a heads-us prior to the outage). When the outage/work was completed our internet service did not come back.
We did the usual resetting of both modem and router several times with no luck. After a back and forth with customer service they said the problem is with our modem (the modem -Motorola MB7621 - is 6 months old and from the xfinity "Recommended" list). So, we bought a new modem (NETGEAR - Nighthawk 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem). Again, from the approved xfinity list. Same result - no internet connection.
An xfinity technician came over and installed xfinity brand modem and all of a sudden the service is back on line.
We do not want xfinity's modem since it's a rental, and we want to use our own modem. Their modem is not for sale, either.
We feel it's no coincidence that right after the outage our modem stopped communicating with the router. It must be something xfinity changed on their side. But it's impossible to explain that to their customer service because it's all AI or people who just read a script from a computer screen and awkwardly ask me "how's your day so far?" Their technicians are contractors and have no knowledge of the work that xfinity crews are doing outside the homes.
Someone on a different forum said something about "protocols" and "DOCSIS 3.1" vs. "DOCSIS 3.0", but both of the modems I purchase on my own were 3.0 (Motorola) and 3.1 (Netgear) and neither of them worked. To make things worst, none of my neighbors are experiencing this issue so there's no sense of urgency from xfinity side to fix that.
xfintiy claims that everything is working fine and the signal is coming in to our house. But they obviously made some changes that impacted out line. 
We talked to 3 customer service people and and were visited by two technicians and wasted roughly 8 hours trying to solve it. 
What can I do at this point beside leaving xfintiy to another provider? 
Thank you

Contributor

• 

70 Messages

1 month ago

I had this exact same issue with the Motorola router and I’ve been renting from Xfinity for a year now. My modem worked great for a year and then all of a sudden it stopped working. How they do this is extremely fishy. I want to go back to the modem I’ve paid for because it’s a one time cost and I don’t want to deal with the monthly rental fee that I’m sure will increase Shortly.

(edited)

2 Messages

so what did you try so far? did you try to buy a new modem? did you call customer service? and what did they tell you? did you have an outage right before you Motorola modem stopped working?

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

thechangsteins Hi there! Our awesome digital care team would be happy to look into your modem concern. Can you initiate a direct message and start with your full name and address? To start a direct message, you must be signed in. Please click the "Direct Messaging" icon in the top right of the page next to the bell, and send your message to "Xfinity Support". Talk to you there! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 month ago

@thechangsteins @XfinityAirelle 

Please circle back here and post any possible solutions for the issue here in these open public forums so that all readers here may benefit from the exchange / info. This is in keeping with the spirit for which these public help forums were originally intended. Thank you.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here