U

Tuesday, May 28th, 2024 1:16 AM

Mid-Split only 20mbps upload, paying for 100mbps upload (CM2050V)

We recently signed up for the “Connect” plan as we are supposed to be able to get mid-split speeds of 150mbps downstream and 100mbps upstream. I checked on their website and the Netgear CM2050V was listened as a compatible modem at our address. After the installation, I find that I am only getting 20mbps on the upload, but the full 150mbps on the download. This leads me to believe that we are not even on a mid-split. The Xfinity assistant says we only have 20mbps upload but multiple live agents confirm that we are on mid-split with 100mbps upload. Are we being lied to about mid-split? I have also read that there may have been some compatibility issues with our modem due to firmware issues, despite text messages agents claiming it should work. If that is the actually the case, which modem works instead?

One other thing: The cable guy used a tree on our property to run the wire down to the pedestal, instead of a using the utility pole with a conduit and splicing 15 feet more into the cable. How is this even allowed by company policy? It’s really unprofessional and unsightly. Are we able to get them to fix this up? I’m trying to figure if this is a normal thing or just a lazy tech.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.8K Messages

3 months ago

The CM2050v had been approved for the new upload speeds, but a few months ago it was dropped from the list. See https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/faster-internet-speeds-now-available-until-you-backdated-my-modem/65978b4f2e4f0f284530df88?commentId=659a8be32e4f0f2845312956.

Realize that although Comcast calls some devices "Approved" and some "Recommended", for all but a few devices those designations only mean "approved/recommended for use with their Internet service", and not necessarily approved for the new upload speeds. See:

Also see the "All Compatible Devices" link near the bottom of https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices (at the moment it points to https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2024.05.17%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.pdf).

The Reddit link also lists other requirements for faster uploads speeds. Comcast could make all of this much clearer, but they have chosen not to do so.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

5 Messages

3 months ago

Ah, I get it. I knew about the CM2050V being removed so that was my suspicion. It was very confusing because some customer support agents told me that it would work with mid-split, but everything I read online made me think otherwise. The website obviously is intentionally unclear, so that made me even more confused. I spent hours of troubleshooting on support; if only they knew! I am trying to figure out if there are any modems that support both voice and mid-split, and if so could someone point me to one? Otherwise does this mean I am forced to rent one from Xfinity?

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi, @user_ahpets. @BruceW is absolutely correct on this, and you can find the most updated approved third-party device listed here: https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2024.05.17%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.pdf for both Next Gen and non-gen services. If you'd like help deciding on a device or want a gateway for now, we'll be glad to help. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

12 Messages

@user_ahpets​ Netgear says they are working on a firmware fix and it is a top priority (since at least February 2024).  So, we all paid good money for the only non-comcast device available with phone support and can't get the speed we are paying for.  NOTICE: CM2050V cable modem customers with Comcast... - NETGEAR Communities

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.8K Messages

3 months ago

... I am trying to figure out if there are any modems that support both voice and mid-split ...

The only retail device that was (briefly) approved was the 2050V. Since it's out of the running for who-knows-how-long if you need home phone support and want mid-split you'd have to rent from them until such time, if any, as they get around to approving another retail device.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

5 Messages

3 months ago

How unfortunate. I guess they don't have an insensitive to make the recertification quick, as they make more money from forcing users to rent.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here