U

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, June 26th, 2023 3:29 AM

Closed

MB8611 up to 200Mbps only in my 800 Mbps subscription

Despite subscribing to an 800Mbps plan, I'm only getting sporadic connectivity with speeds reaching up to 200Mbps.

An Xfinity technician has just visited and thoroughly checked my setup, confirming that everything seems fine. The only remaining solution they suggested is to replace the underground cable, even though it was replaced just 13 months ago when I upgraded to the 800Mbps plan.

To my surprise, when I consulted Xfinity's list of supported devices, I discovered that the MB8611 modem I'm currently using is no longer supported by Xfinity. I found this information in the following document: https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects_2/my_device/Full-List-of-Compatible-Devices.pdf

Since May 2022, when I started the 800Mbps internet service, I was never informed that the subpar performance could be due to the Xfinity-certified MB8611 modem, which even has the Xfinity branding on its package. MB8611 firmware updates are controlled by xfinity and my mb8611 shows 8611-19.2.18, the original firmware installed by Motorola.  It's quite frustrating and feels like a joke.

I kindly request Xfinity's guidance and assistance in resolving this issue.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

11 months ago

I kindly request Xfinity's guidance and assistance in resolving this issue.

Official Employee

• 

897 Messages

Hey @user_3c84b7,

We would be more than happy to assist you. Thanks for visiting our Xfinity Community Forum support page. I am not showing the Motorola MB8611 is End-of-Life and well as your document also supporting that the device is not supported. 

What we can assist is performing some troubleshooting steps and schedule an additional service technician if all remote troubleshooting steps do not resolve the issue. If you power cycle the modem, it should be pushed the newest approved firmware option available. 

As a first step, could you please remove the power cord from the modem for 20-30 seconds and plug the device back in? While the device is unplugged, please check the inside wiring and coax cable to ensure it is within good condition with no hard bends, kinks, cuts, or bite marks that may interfere with the signal reaching the modem. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Thank you for the advice. I have followed it "As a first step, could you please remove the power cord from the modem for 20-30 seconds and plug the device back in? While the device is unplugged, please check the inside wiring and coax cable to ensure it is within good condition with no hard bends, kinks, cuts, or bite marks that may interfere with the signal reaching the modem. " carefully. Unfortunately, my firmware on MB8611 remains the same, 8611-19.2.18, and no change in speed test results from Ookla, Fast, Speedtest, Xfinity speed test, etc.

I look forward to your further advice.

Official Employee

• 

897 Messages

We greatly appreciate you taking a look at these steps above. If the firmware did not change, then there is no other update available. With the cable line in good condition and bypassing any known cable splitters, the next step is to schedule a service technician to evaluate the home further. 

Comcast does not charge for service appointments to repair Comcast-owned facilities or equipment rented to you by Comcast. However, charges may apply for service appointments when the source of your service problem is not Comcast-owned facilities or equipment rented to you by Comcast.

For instance, you may incur a charge for a service visit by a technician to your home in order to diagnose and repair problems with the In-Home Wiring used with your Xfinity services, or for the diagnosis of issues relating to the connection between Customer Equipment and your Xfinity services.

If you like to schedule a service technician, could you please send our team a direct message with your full first/last name and complete service address (Including the city, state, and zip code)? 

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

11 months ago

I don't find the Peer to peer chat.

Official Employee

• 

3.8K Messages

We apologize for the confusion, @user_3c84b7! Can you please click the Direct Message icon at the top right of the page, click on the pen and pad icon and enter Xfinity Support in the "To" section of the chat and provide us with your first/last name and full address so we may further assist you?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

11 months ago

I have had the exact same issue. I switched to an MB8611 modem in Nov '22 for use on my 1200 Mbps service. No problems until about 2 weeks ago when I noticed that my service seemed slow when downloading files and a speed test with a device directly connected to the modem now only gets at best 200 Mbps. Xfinity says the connection seems OK (although no one has yet come to physically check) and right now I'm emailing back and forth with Motorola support. I did a full factory reset on the modem but theres no change. Software version is also V1.0 8611-19.2.18.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@user_8c0467​ My observation of the subpar xfinity speed since May 2022 when I was upgraded to 800Mbps. Let's keep informed about the process of seeking solutions.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

11 months ago

Your problem seems similar to mine. No one is concerned about you getting the speed you're paying for when you call.  That is a problem that needs to be fixed. Like you I need to see higher speeds. I am a very technical person so this situation is annoying. Please if you send someone to the house it needs to be about showing me the speed that I am getting not about if my system is healthy. We spend a lot of money to purchase the best systems to avoid issues. I believe my setup is good enough or better than using xfinity equipment. I have 5 tvs 4 phones 4 laptops in my home. I should have enough speed to run them all especially when all of them are not in use I should have no problems as I do now. The modem I actually purchased is an approved xfinity modem plus I have a great mesh system that gives me all the speeds to my devices. The TV is what gives it away because browsing or streaming with your laptop does not need much but streaming with you TV does. The graphics on the TV needs more data. I'm not sure what else to do except shop for better and honest service. 

Official Employee

• 

480 Messages

Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

11 months ago

MB8611 and TP Link Ax3000 were on the xfinity recommended device list .

I'm concerned about "Comcast does not charge for service appointments to repair Comcast-owned facilities or equipment rented to you by Comcast. However, charges may apply for service appointments when the source of your service problem is not Comcast-owned facilities or equipment rented to you by Comcast."

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

9 months ago

I'm sorry over two months the problem remains, no progress no tentative solutions. Can xfinity update my modem firmware asap? 

Official Employee

• 

244 Messages

We've actually had reports of this issue a few months ago and unfortunately we are in the same boat at this time. If you are still experiencing issues with this specific model of gateway, at this time we do advise contacting Motorola directly for assistance. Any firmware that is pushed to the equipment is provided to us directly from the manufacturer, and we are not able to 'roll back' or change the firmware without the manufacturer's permission due to equipment liability issues as it is not Xfinity hardware. While I can completely understand how frustrating this must be after multiple attempts to resolve this, Motorola would be responsible for any further action at this time.

With the visits to your home, it does not sound like the issue is connection-related and is specific to the device itself, this would have to be addressed by the manufacturer. While we may handle the execution to push out the update, Motorola's website clarifies that "Motorola provides your Internet Service Provider with the firmware update." This means that while we send the firmware updates to the equipment, the firmware updates themselves come directly from Motorola first. I hope this makes a little more sense!

While we would be happy to provide you with an Xfinity rented gateway to ensure your service runs smoothly and fast as it should going forward, there is always an option of an entirely different brand and/or model of device for your connection if Motorola does not have an alternative solution. This would be the responsibility of Motorola as it is their equipment and firmware.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here