D

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, September 10th, 2023 3:53 PM

Closed

Laptop not connecting to nearby pod

I have a Windows 11 laptop in an upstairs bedroom above the garage on the opposite side from the XFi gateway on the main floor. I got an Xfi pod and put it in the hallway outside the bedroom. The laptop will not connect to the pod, but will insist on an incredibly weak connection to the gateway. I’ve tried restarting the gateway and pod and resetting the WiFi on the laptop including ipconfig /release and /flushdns.

(Separate but related issue): I’ve tried connecting the pod by Ethernet to another upstairs room where there’s a Jack but it only connects by WiFi.

Any ideas?

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

1 year ago

Update, I eventually got the pod to connect through hardwired Ethernet (I didn’t change anything except plugging and unplugging a few times), so I thought this would help the laptop “see” it as a stronger option. It still won’t connect and is getting 10-20 MBPS from the XFi gateway while my phone connects to the pod and gets 500 MBPS. I tweaked some hardware settings on the laptop WiFi adapter to prefer 5GHz connection as it was set to prefer 2.4GHz, but it didn’t change anything. 

4 Messages

I have the exact same issue right down to the location of the gateway and pod. I wish support would answer your question.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_dcoznz Good morning! Thank you for taking the time to reach out to our Community Forums Team, and bringing your connection concerns to our attention. It can be frustrating when your equipment and services don't work as designed. I'd be happy to assist you with getting your connection issues resolved. Before we dive in, can you please share any troubleshooting steps you have already tried? This way we don't repeat the same steps. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

Same issue here. Would love to know how to connect my laptop to pod versus gateway which is 40 feet and three walls away (versus pod which is 15 feet and 1 doorway away)

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@dblsl​ if you were able to solve this, can you post what worked...?  Several have this issue (including me!), and have piggybacked on your message.  

1 Message

10 months ago

I'm having the same issue. My 2 laptops won't connect to the closest pod, but my cell phone will. Only solution I've found so far is plugging directly into the pod with ethernet cable.

4 Messages

10 months ago

I have tried removing the pod, plugging it back in, and rebooting my laptop. The problem remains. The pod is completely clear of any obstructions, and the app on my phone says it has a strong signal. Yet my laptop connects to the gateway, which is on the opposite side of my house on the first level. My office is on the second level, again, on the opposite side of the house.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_dcoznz Hello! Thank you for reaching out to us here on our Community Forum. We can certainly look into this for you. Can you please send us a Direct Message with your full name and address? Here are instructions on how to send us a DM in case you need them:

Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

10 months ago

Same issue here. I had a tech out and they installed the pod (which there was NO instruction for when the pod arrived so I didn't even know it wasn't connected; a white slow blinking light on every other tech product means its connected the pod has ZERO indication on it whether it's connected or not) and my laptop connected great 100mbs+. I closed my laptop and put it to sleep and when I woke it up it will ONLY connect to the gateway while my phone connects to the pod no problem. I have tried everything including having chat support online for more than an hour with no fix yet. I'm getting 10mbs instead of 100. I HATE COMCAST and will move to a mobile internet service when my contract expires.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_yfxl8b Thank you for reaching out via our Community Forum. I am sorry to hear you are having an issue with your laptop connecting to your Wi-Fi using your xFi pod. Are you having issues with any other devices when in that area of your home? 

4 Messages

Yes. My phone also connects with the Gateway instead of the pod.

Official Employee

• 

911 Messages

@user_dcoznz I'm sorry to hear that this is causing trouble for you as well. Have you already tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

10 months ago

Same.  Frustrating that Xfinity support will not post the answer on any of these related threads.  Even a series of trouble shooting steps would be helpful.

1 Message

So I was having the same issues (laptop not connecting to a pod 2 feet away) and I realized that we have 2 networks.  I was connected to the incorrect one.  As soon as I switched, it showed up as connected.  Hope this helps anyone who is still having issues.  

1 Message

9 months ago

Same. 2 laptops will not connect to xfi pod with much stronger signal that is closer than gateway. Cell phones connect to the stronger signal. Have tried restarting laptops with no change in their preference to connect to gateway over pod. 

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

@user_wa2afp Thank you for leaving a comment and letting us know you are running into a similar issue. I can see you also sent us a direct message on this, so we'll go ahead and reply to you there to continue working on this together!

In the future, please avoid sending a direct message until being asked directly by an Xfinity employee. While you may see others being invited, it is important to not do so until being invited yourself to avoid sending unsolicited direct messages and following our community guidelines. Thank you for taking part in our community here!

1 Message

9 months ago

Exactly same issues.

For me, the pod is 10 feet away from laptop.

Agreed that a solution would be helpful, but it seems there isn't one otherwise wouldn't they post it and WANT you to use it?

4 Messages

Yes, you would think so. I even sent a direct message to support about this issue, as they instructed me to, and I still haven't heard back.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here