balarren's profile

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

Monday, March 18th, 2024 10:38 PM

Closed

Issue with wired ethernet on my gateway

Have a couple devices that I have connected directly to my xFinity gateway by ethernet cable.  As of yesterday, it sems like it's not working.  The wifi works and internet is active, but devices that are directly connected do not find internet anymore.  I've tried multiple devices and both ports on the gate way.  I restarted the gateway and that seemed to work but within 24 hours I was having no connectivity again.  Edit: My gateway is an xFi provided gateway, model XB6

more edit: digging around, it seems like dhcp is not properly assigning ip addresses to wired connections. Wireless devices all seem working ok, but wired connections are getting 169.254.x.x addresses 

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

7 months ago

After poking around a bit online, I rebooted the gateway by unplugging it, letting it be for 5+ minutes, then plugging it back in, instead of just the 'restart' command in the xfinity app.  That seemed to fix this.

2 Messages

After wasting a good part of the day trying to fix problem, I found it magically was OK. Don't know what worked or if comcast somehow fixed it

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

user_8s5htx, We are glad to hear things are working better. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

7 months ago

Having same problem! Not fixed by doing "release and renew IP" instructions.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

7 months ago

Hello @balarren, thank you for providing those details in your post, it certainly does help to get us on the same page with what you're experiencing. I see that you mentioned a hard reset has resolved the issue, are you still able to connect via ethernet? If so, have you had a chance to run any speed tests on those devices?  

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

After the hard reset, the ethernet connection has been fine.  I haven't run speed tests but everything is functioning/streaming normally without issue.

Official Employee

• 

954 Messages

balarren, glad to hear that and thanks for the update! Was there anything else we may be able to lend a hand with at this time?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here